PDA

View Full Version : Bullets Getting Expensive

OldLincoln
04-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Prices are going up on all metals including brass and bullets. In the little bit of hoarding I can muster I bought 500 each X-Treme Bullets (http://xtremebullets.com/) 9mm ($38) & 45 ($60) today. The local cost is less than any on-line I've found and they look good. The local shop buys several pallets at a time and their price is less than on-line.

Sambo
04-15-2011, 05:47 AM
Is that price for the cast or plated bullets? If you've been shooting plated, I recommend you switch to lead. I've shot probably 10 thousand lead rounds through my revolvers and have nothing to complain about. Cast bullets are dirt cheap, and if you get the right hardness for the load, you will get no leading. I would never reload for fmj or even plated bullets. It's just not economical to me. So many people have strayed away from cast bullets because of claims of leading and dirtiness, but it's a non-issue for me. They do smoke more and handling precautions should be taken, but you can't beat the price of lead. The cheapest I have found are from missouri bullet. If you buy in orders of 2000, the shipping isn't too bad. CRAP!!!! I just looked at missouri bullet and their prices went up too!!! I just paid 37.45 shipped for 500 .45 lswc and now it's 40.78. This sucks

500KV
04-15-2011, 07:50 AM
This outfit has the best prices I've found lately.
The selection is good and shipping time is fast, or has been for me.
I order the 9mm,.40 and .45 cal. jacketed bullets in 2000 quantity.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/

MW surveyor
04-15-2011, 09:31 AM
They do have very good prices on FMJ and are very nearly the same as the hard cast that I buy. The shipping price really make the biggest difference, way less than the hard cast that I normally order.

Sliebl
04-17-2011, 06:13 AM
I've recently been shooting Montana Gold (http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/index.html) 9mm 124gr JHP rounds. They were $309 for a case of 3750. (Free shipping) That's $0.08 per round; the same price as Sambo's lead prices listed above.
For equal cost, I'll load JHP any day. Their FMJ is even cheaper by a few bucks. They load buttery smooth, and there's no bullet lube to gum up the works, and they cycle perfectly in all of my 9mms.

I've also loaded a lot of lead round nose in the past, but I don't think, for myself, I'll be going down that road anymore. This is even without getting into a Kahr polygonal rifling discussion.

I only use Montana Gold bullets because that's what JJ Racaza shoots! :D Haha!

Sambo
04-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Sliebl that price was for 200 grain 45's, which cost 13.5 cents a round at your supplier. That is a pretty good price for 9mm though. MB has 125 9mm for 6.3 cents. If anyone can find .45 less than 8 cents a round shipped, lead, fmj or plated, I would love to know.

jeep45238
04-20-2011, 02:08 AM
I keep my eyes peeled for wheel weights.

The last time I bought, it cost me about $100 for over 250 pounds worth.

Melt 'em down, cast 'em, size/lube 'em, and roll 'em. .45ACP costs me under $4.75 per box of 50.