PDA

View Full Version : Night sights after dark range report

Dietrich
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I took my PM9 with the new Meprolight sights to the range late yesterday afternoon.My buddy and I started shooting about 4:30.I immediatly noticed that I was acquiring the front sight more quickly in the fading light of the day.My accuracy seemed to improve a little also.Never did get fully used to the dot the "i' thing.When daylight died, we took turns shooting at a silhouette target.I hadn`t known what I had been missing.Those new sights were all that and more.I cannot recommend them too highly.If you have a PM9 or any other handgun that does not have them,I urge you to have them installed,if possible.You`ll love them.Dietrich.:)

BigD
12-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the report!

I'm a fan of night sight's for sure. But I think next time I am going to try out something other then the mepro's. I have them on my Glock 27 and this PM9. Both came with them installed from the factory.

The PM9 has been dated to mid-2006, and my glock is from early 2007. Both have faded pretty drastically. :( I know they don't last forever, but for the cost of them, and/or the premium usually placed on a pistol coming with them new, I kind of hoped they would last longer.

Now keep in mind they are still definitely very visible in low light and complete darkness but the overall glow has certainly diminished quite a bit. Makes me wonder if I will need to replace them in another year or so..?

The only other experience I have with night sights is a set of Novak's on a 1911 bought new in early 2008. They are still extremely bright just like the day it arrived!

wyntrout
12-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi, BigD.
Those night sights should be good for AT LEAST 10 years and you shouldn't be noticing degradation in so short a time. I have a S&W 645 (DA/SA full sized SS .45ACP) with night sights that I bought from a retired Border Patrol agent at a Texas gun show in 1994. I don't know how long he had the gun or sights before I got it. They finally quit last year... or so. They are sure dead now. I got a new Kahr K9 in March 1998 and while the Trijicon night sights still glow, they are essentially worthless since I couldn't acquire a target quickly with the dimmed sights. They are quaranteed for 12 years and I ordered my gun, so it hadn't been sittting around for very long. Notice that it will be 12 years this March!
When I get my P380N, I'll look at getting the K9's sights replaced. it's a comfort to see those glowing sights in the dark... AND they don't give an assailant your position like the laser sights. Of course, you need to be able to see your opponent!
Wynn

border bandit32
12-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I took my PM9 with the new Meprolight sights to the range late yesterday afternoon.My buddy and I started shooting about 4:30.I immediatly noticed that I was acquiring the front sight more quickly in the fading light of the day.My accuracy seemed to improve a little also.Never did get fully used to the dot the "i' thing.When daylight died, we took turns shooting at a silhouette target.I hadn`t known what I had been missing.Those new sights were all that and more.I cannot recommend them too highly.If you have a PM9 or any other handgun that does not have them,I urge you to have them installed,if possible.You`ll love them.Dietrich.:)

got em' luv em too!

zena
12-05-2009, 05:14 PM

You get to shoot after dark?!! How cool is that? Once the sun hits the horizon, we have to be done, even though there is still light in the sky. :cool:

Dietrich
12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
You get to shoot after dark?!! How cool is that? Once the sun hits the horizon, we have to be done, even though there is still light in the sky. :cool:
Yep,range rules are no shooting before 8:00a.m. and after 10:00 p.m.:53:

arizona98tj
12-06-2009, 03:59 PM
When daylight died, we took turns shooting at a silhouette target.I hadn`t known what I had been missing.Those new sights were all that and more.

Since the sights won't do anything to illuminate or identify the target, what were you using as a light source for target ID?

Dietrich
12-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Since the sights won't do anything to illuminate or identify the target, what were you using as a light source for target ID?
You get a little light from the floods on the building.At the range that I`m a member of,you are your own range safety officer.Most of the time when I go,I have the range to myself.It is very,very country.Vienna sausages and souse meat are both considered to be a delicacy there.

bugs
08-01-2016, 12:13 PM
give some serious thought to TFOs for your Kahrs; after two different brand changes I slap side of head and sez why didn't I get these the first time! (milled ft. d.tail in CM slide)

NRA LIFER
IDPA BELEIVER

Bawanna
08-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Funny thing, I was just thinking about ole Dietrich this morning and presto slamma jamma here he is again.

Still miss that guy something fierce.