PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific is out on DVD

TheTman
04-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I've spent the last couple of evening watching The Pacific. This is the companion series to The Band of Brothers. It's a really great series, and gives a very good description of the horrors our boys went through while island hopping their way to Japan. It may be too intense for those that have been through combat, but for those of us fortunate enough to have never had to live through the horrors of war, it is a real eye opener. It's hard to imagine the hardships they went through, fighting not only the Japanese, but malaria and other diseases. Not having enough to eat, running low on ammo. Our boys really showed what real men are made of.
Real men that were only 18 or 19, maybe only 16 or 17. Anyone much over 21 was considered and old man. Anyway, it's a very well made series and anyone interested in WWII should check it out. It seems so much attention was paid to the war in Europe, that the war on Japan doesn't get as much coverage as it deserves. The Japanese were a tough adversary, and fought very hard to keep those islands. Surrender was not an option for them and they fought to the last man.

It really makes me want to say thanks to all our Vets that have served our country, particularly those who have served in wartime. I'm saddened by what those boys in WWI and II went through after they got home, after the parades and welcome homes, they were left to adjust back to society on their own. Not much help from the VA for those "shell shocked" vets, too many of which ended up drinking themselves to an early grave, or taking their own life. At least we recognize PTSD as a real disease now and do try and get our boys and girls the help they need and deserve.
Once again Vets, Thank you for your service!

crazymailman
04-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm interested in seeing that series too. And as for the last paragraph, ditto!!!