PDA

View Full Version : PM45 issues

hsart
12-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I just ran 50 rounds through my PM45. Prior to today I have run about 250 rounds through it. Before today's range time I cleaned the handgun and was thinking that I may not have oiled it enough (I am used to cleaning my Glocks which run well pretty dry). I dry-fired the gun about 5 racks to make sure it functioned well after the cleaning. The first rack today with a loaded magazine (with Rem 230gr) at the range all I got was a click - same for the second rack. After the third rack all rounds chambered fine. Any ideas on what could have caused these two mis-fires? Also I got one stove-pipe malfunction after 20 rounds, and also one case that ejected directly to my forehead. That seems to happen about every 30 rounds with this PM45. Should I give it more break-in time or call Kahr customer service? Many thanks for any advice.

Pender1
12-05-2009, 10:31 PM
One thing I've found is that PM45's don't like to fire after being hand-racked. They like you to lock the slide open and slam it shut using the slide release. Mine only fires about half the time if I had rack it normally. I'm 100% locking it open first.

500KV
12-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Good advice from Pender1.
You might want to clean that striker and striker channel good. It collects a lot of crud, shavings etc., and don't put any lube in the channel.
Q-tips work well for this.
I just wipe the striker with a lightly oiled rag.

Then I'd give it another 4 or 5 hundred rounds.
Bet those problems will disappear.
Just my $.02.

jocko
12-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Good advice from Pender1.
You might want to clean that striker and striker channel good. It collects a lot of crud, shavings etc., and don't put any lube in the channel.
Q-tips work well for this.
I just wipe the striker with a lightly oiled rag.

Then I'd give it another 4 or 5 hundred rounds.
Bet those problems will disappear.
Just my $.02.

IMO no need to take the striker channel even apart. just insert your spray cleaner nozzle in that little hole on the bottom of the slide and spray away. It will clean that striker channel perfectly, fluids will come out both ends. DO NOT OIL THE STRIKER CHANNEL

You should still be able to rack the slide and get a full strike of the striker.Give it some more rounds and a good cleaning in the striker channel and if it does not come out of it. It will havet o go back. a chance you could also have an out of spec trigger bar causing sprodic misfires.

Keep the forum up to date please. U should with 250 rounds have it broken in also. actualy in that area there is realy no breaking in either..