PDA

View Full Version : Hanging my head in shame

MW surveyor
05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
:o

Had my first and hope to heck last squib round today. This was with a round that I had suspected did not get charged and I had actually put it to the side. But being stupid, loaded it up in the mag anyway.

So.....the primer detonated but that was it (and I did not hear the primer go off - darn good hearing protection plus I'm half deaf anyway). At first I thought it was a failure to fire. Racked back the slide, casing ejected with primer fully indented by the firing pin. Look in barrel, can't see daylight.

An Oh s..t moment. Field stripped the Para and pulled out the barrel.

Luckily I had brought a take down cleaning rod/kit with me. No hammer but did find a brick that worked real well but did snap the cheap a..'d cleaning rod at the base where it screwed into the handle. Round came out after Willieboy held the barrel for me so I could give it a good whack.

Lessons learned
1. If it is suspect don't use it.
2. Do not use the turret press anymore to make up test loads!
3. Check for powder charge twice!

Happy to say that the remainder of the 230 grain RNLs and 200 grain SWCs performed flawlessly. Those 200 grain SWCs make real nice big cleanly cut holes.:biggrin1:

Bawanna
05-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Wise words and a good reminder to all.

I assume Willieboy can still account for all of his fingers following your assault with the brick? No injuries to yourself during the same assault? The Bricks ok?

I think we have the makings of a happy ending. No Kahrs were damaged in the creation of this story. All good.

MW surveyor
05-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Willieboy and no Kahrs were harmed today. Just my pride. The brick got lost behind the rail road tie berm after I put it back where I found it. Just didn't realize that there was a brick sized space behind the berm in front of the police range shack.

My pride took the hit. As of yesterday, I had reloaded 2,812 rounds and shot 2,811 with no problems since June of last year.

Bawanna
05-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I feel your pain. After many years of reloading I some how missed a whole row of 5 in my loading block. First failures after lots and lots of reloads. I was devastated. Even went to my favorite shop to chat with my friend the owner to seek another answer. He said there is none, you goofed.
I did this after one failure. I went home and thought if I missed one I had to miss a whole row. No way I would miss just one round, I'm too careful. Sure enough, I took all the rounds apart, most of a box of 50 and found 4 more with no powder.

A blow to the ego is exactly the correct phrase. I've actually never admitted this story in public before. I guess if I had any credibility before (heavy emphasis on the ''IF") its all out the window now huh?

MW surveyor
05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Nah! It only makes you human. Hope you take that the right way :)

BTW - I just found a use for those 88 pieces of 3/8" by 15" dowels that got made cutting down full rods when my wife made some roman shades! One or two in the range bag from now on.

houdini
05-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I am allways checking my rounds