View Full Version : New to Kahr - PM9 Range Report

fjc
05-10-2011, 07:42 AM
I’m a huge fan of smaller pistols, as in the summer months I prefer to wear shorts/t-shirt and have issues concealing my normal holstered weapons (Colt Agent, or a Nighthawk Custom Talon II). I’ve found that I’m often just slipping something small into a pocket. In my large-pocket cargo shorts I’ve even pocket carried a Glock 26 or my Colt Agent very successfully, but they ARE a bit heavy. Something lighter and thin would be nice.

With the new class of pocket 9mm’s, I decided it was time to start carrying something a little more powerful. .380 beats having nothing with you, but I’ve never felt like I’d really feel confident in a “gunfight” situation if all I had was my LCP. I researched many options (SIG P290, Kahr PM9 or CM9, Ruger LC9, Kimber Solo).

A laser that didn’t add to thickness was on my priority list – my aging eyes can’t focus on a front site any more unless I wear my reading glasses or my prescription shooting glasses (neither of which I wear when out-and-about, when I’d be likely to need to use my carry gun). The Kahr PM9 had that, and still had decent sights. So – I bought it.

Took it home and gave it a good cleaning (though I didn’t blast out the striker channel as I didn’t have any Gun Scrubber or other aerosol cleaner). Worked the slide about 200 times. Also disassembled and cleaned the two magazines. The laser seemed to be dialed-in pretty well already, just based on comparing where the dot landed to where the sights lined up (seemed to be dead on at around 7 to 10 yards).

I took it to the range yesterday and put the following rounds through it, all in one session with absolutely no cleaning or additional lube:

100 - Blazer aluminum 115gr FMJ
100 – S&B 115gr FMJ
70 – Reloads (124gr Montana Gold JHP over 4.3gr VV N340)
50 – Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP

Total of 320 rounds. I used both the 6-round flush magazine and the 7-round extended magazine equally. Not a single failure of any kind with either magazine. I repeat – not a single failure. No nosedives, no failures to chamber the first round of a magazine, nothing.

Here we are, only 40 rounds in per my notes on my notepad
http://www.condron.com/pics/kahr/pm9_0144.jpg

http://www.condron.com/pics/kahr/PM9_0146.jpg

I really like how the laser doesn’t make it wider, like most of the Crimson Trace laser grips do.
http://www.condron.com/pics/kahr/pm9_0149.jpg

Targets were a mix of IDPA and steel poppers, and I shot from as far as 20 yards, and as close as 1 yard (no, didn’t shoot steel any closer than 12 or so yards). I found it to be very accurate, and surprisingly controllable in rapid fire.
http://www.condron.com/pics/kahr/range_0151.jpg

The laser was excellent. Even in that very bright sunlight I had no issue seeing that dot. Until I got to about the 120 round count, then I started to notice that the dot was getting dimmer and dimmer. It looked just like when my laser pointer’s batteries start to die, so I figured that was the case here – the PM9 I bought was a display model at the local gunstore, so who knows how many hours the laser already had on it when I bought it (manual says batteries are good for 4 hours of use). I finished my range sessions mostly using the sights. Got home, ordered new batteries (since it uses odd ones) – then realized I was just being stupid and hadn’t accounted for soot from the muzzle having coated the laser lens. A quick cleaning with a Q-tip and it was back to full brightness.

Picture of the PM9 at the end of the 320 rounds:
http://www.condron.com/pics/kahr/pm9dirty_0157.jpg

320 rounds was a lot in one session, and I have a nice blister in the web of my shooting hand, and a small little one on the pinky of that same hand. I think the extended magazine tended to pinch that pinky slightly. I’ve gotten worse blisters from other small pistols with far fewer rounds.

Conclusion: This is a fantastic little pistol that is small, packs a good 9mm +P punch, and seems to be completely reliable. It fits fine in my 5.11 cargo pants front pocket. I can see this becoming my main/only carry pistol. I’ve ordered both a DeSantis Superfly for pocket carry use, and a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck IWB (in stock at the Kahr shop!).

Bill K
05-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Welcome to Kahrtalk!

Awesome range report and first post. Besides your writing you obviously have above [way above] average photo skills and an artistic eye.

Pretty much came to pick up my PM9 for similar reasons as yours. Wanted a pistol with more snot than my .380 yet pocketable. Like you I've also got a Glock 26 and have pocket carried it on occasion but its mostly carried AIWB. It has only been a few days since I started carrying my PM9 but can see that if it remains reliable it'll be getting more carry than my P3AT and Glock 26 combined, summer carry anyways.

Bill K.

fjc
05-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks! I'm anxious to see how this conceals IWB. Up until now, I've always had either my "pocket pistols" or my "IWB pistols" - never one that really did double duty.

IWB-wise I've always carried bigger, significantly heavier pistols, like Commander-sized 1911's. Mostly I'd only do that in the winter months, when it's easy to conceal those. I'm fired up to see if something like this PM9, in a good IWB holster, can be concealed under my summer shirts.

Bill K
05-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks! I'm anxious to see how this conceals IWB. Up until now, I've always had either my "pocket pistols" or my "IWB pistols" - never one that really did double duty.

IWB-wise I've always carried bigger, significantly heavier pistols, like Commander-sized 1911's. Mostly I'd only do that in the winter months, when it's easy to conceal those. I'm fired up to see if something like this PM9, in a good IWB holster, can be concealed under my summer shirts.

I believe it will carry very well IWB. Have not tried it myself but have little trouble carrying my Glock 26 AIWB concealed with a loose fitting tee shirt of quality, not worn thin, material. Dark colored tees conceal better than white tees.

Bill K.

Chuck54
05-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I had the same experience with both my PM9 and T9.....shot great out of the box with zero malfunctions.

I pocket carry the PM9 most of the time. If you wear shirt tail out you can carry OWB with a belt slide very easily. I use a "Horseshoe Leather" belt slide when carrying OWB. I have a IWB holster from "Horseshoe Leather" it is not a tuckable so I need to have the shirt tail out with it too. I find the belt slide to be more comfortable than the IWB. All said the PM9 usually rides in a "Pocket Nemisis" in the front pocket.

MrToad
05-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Welcome, fjc. Nice pics too. Some version of the compact 9 series is going to make it into my collection one way of another!

Hm, those glasses look like my Oliver Peoples glasses. Maybe not. Carry on.

sig225
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Excellent pics and range report. I'm trying to decide on the PM9 or a PM45. As mentioned, I'm also a fan of smaller carry pistols in the summer.
I currently carry my S&W 642 during the summer months. Very lightweight and accurate revolver. The .38 is not what you call a range pistol, but it will put down the intended target. :cool:

jocko
05-10-2011, 04:23 PM
by the PM9!!!

Bawanna
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
by the PM9!!!

Buy the PM45. Guess that was a wash huh?

Naw, listen to Jocko, lots cheaper to shoot 9 and you really don't want to hurt anybody anyhow.

jocko
05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
ur a nasty person "ol great one" I resemble that hurt thing!!

Bawanna
05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
ur a nasty person "ol great one" I resemble that hurt thing!!

Sorry Jocko, my bad! It's a curse with me and fat bullets. I apologize.

Bill K
05-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Sorry Jocko, my bad! It's a curse with me and fat bullets. I apologize.

Nice mea culpa Bawanna. It would have been a first on a gun forum where the moderator started the caliber war. :)

Bill K.

Bawanna
05-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Nice mea culpa Bawanna. It would have been a first on a gun forum where the moderator started the caliber war. :)

Bill K.

Sometimes there's nothing like a little caliber war to liven up a otherwise slow afternoon you know.
The suns out and it's warm here today. # 3 son's got a baseball game tonight too, might be the first game without long johns, 4 sweat shirts a jacket and an umbrella. I'm likeing it.

I'll be the guy with fat bullets in his gun(s). Sorry couldn't help myself. I'm a loser.

Cornel
05-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Nice report and pic's fjc!!

About a nice holster for both, pocket carry & iwb, you may want a clipless Remora holster. It's made with a material that will prevent the holster from coming out of the pockets and will not move/travel when IWB. It can also be used in your car between the seat and console for easy access. Very light and versatile.

jocko
05-10-2011, 06:04 PM
no caliber war from ol jocko, as he knows the dominant caliber today is the 9mm, u guys can argue over whose on "second". I know who is on first..

sig225
05-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Don't mind the price difference betwen the .45 and 9mm. I have plenty of both ..... :D Guess I'll have compare the PM45 and PM 9 side by side, and see who wins as a carry piece.
Hey, if you going to have a hobby ...... you have to do it right.

fjc
05-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Nice report and pic's fjc!!

About a nice holster for both, pocket carry & iwb, you may want a clipless Remora holster. It's made with a material that will prevent the holster from coming out of the pockets and will not move/travel when IWB. It can also be used in your car between the seat and console for easy access. Very light and versatile.

That Remora looks very interesting!

melissa5
05-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Welcome to the forum, fjc! The PM9 is excellent for IBW. I carry mine in a High Noon Hidden ally (tuckable) and it just disappears.

Bawanna
05-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Going for pure size and compactness the PM9 will win hands down in this race. If you pocket carry its the way to go without question.

If you really want to do the hobby right you'll need to get both, which usually goes without saying.

The 9 may be dominate (I'm not sure it is anymore but don't matter) but everyone should own at least one real caliber gun too. I stole first, past 3rd and I'm headed for home with my PM45.

myname
05-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Buy the PM45. Guess that was a wash huh?

Naw, listen to Jocko, lots cheaper to shoot 9 and you really don't want to hurt anybody anyhow.

That was cold...:D

Bawanna
05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
That was cold...:D

I'm sometimes so ashamed of myself I wonder what my purpose in life is.

:o :(

My bad once again.

DriveMyKahr
05-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Welcome to KahrTalk, fjc.

Thanks for the blow-by-blow on the PM-9 and love the pix... especially the picture of the front dirty barrel and Crimson Trace. Your can be proud of your PM-9. It earned every bit of those carbon deposits. Love the smell of a well used firearm almost as much as I like the fragrance of a cleaned and lubed ready for action weapon.

jocko
05-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Going for pure size and compactness the PM9 will win hands down in this race. If you pocket carry its the way to go without question.

If you really want to do the hobby right you'll need to get both, which usually goes without saying.

The 9 may be dominate (I'm not sure it is anymore but don't matter) but everyone should own at least one real caliber gun too. I stole first, past 3rd and I'm headed for home with my PM45.

ur right the 45 dominats. 45 flintlocks that is!!!! ur dreamin if you don't think the 9mm still dominates the leo industry.:32: