PDA

View Full Version : Did you change taking it to the range?

Rainman48314
05-10-2011, 12:18 PM
In a few days, I'll have my Michigan CPL.

I have been taking a locked case with three or four unloaded guns to the range. A second duffle type bag carries my "eyes", "ears", a few tools, and some of my ammo (.22LR, .380 Auto, and 9mm). These go into the trunk of my car. I also keep this gear the same way at home. There's a fifth gun in the nightstand. A larger ammo cache is hidden in the house.

Once I am allowed more legal latitude, should I change how I travel to the range?

What does everyone with a CCW do? Did that change from before you had a permit?

mr surveyor
05-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I just pile them all in the seat/floorboard... rifles, pistols, revolvers, shotguns and ammo and go to the range. Always have - before and after license. But we ain't all in Michigan;)

surv

Bawanna
05-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I do pretty much what you do. I keep the guns I take in a Midway range bag with eye, ears, extra mags etc. I have a plastic pretty good size tool box with a tray that I carry ammo, a few screwdrivers, oil, patches, not alot but a few maintenance type things.
I don't lock anything. But I make no stops and they never leave my sight.
I carry my usual carry guns just like I usually do. Cbob 1911 on hip, PM45 on ankle and I shoot those very first thing just the way I carry them. Mostly to confirm function, replace ammo. I only get out maybe once a month, try for more but time and funds kick me in the teeth everytime.
After that I may shoot them more or reload and put back in carry mode and shoot other stuff.
I'm not in the know on your states laws for transporting, perhaps a lock is required. We aren't required to do so with a CPL in Washington.
I drive a van and put the range guns and ammo in the back door. If you have a car with a trunk and put them there you should be fine.
As long as they aren't accessible from the drivers seat usually it's ok.

Bawanna
05-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I just pile them all in the seat/floorboard... rifles, pistols, revolvers, shotguns and ammo and go to the range. Always have - before and after license. But we ain't all in Michigan;)

surv

Thats exactly what I do on the rare occasions when I go out to the woods where I can shoot near my van. I like that far better than the indoor ranges I usually have to use. I find myself shooting way more handguns in recent years just for the convenience, easier for me to pack around. I do still enjoy rifles and shotguns just don't get to shoot them as much.

RomeoFoxtrot
05-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I only take a couple at a time and always include one of the guns I carry. My range bag is filled with the usual; ears, eyes, Leatherman etc. and other items are added, such as ammo, depending on the guns I'm taking on that particular day.

Bill K
05-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I only take a couple at a time and always include one of the guns I carry. My range bag is filled with the usual; ears, eyes, Leatherman etc. and other items are added, such as ammo, depending on the guns I'm taking on that particular day.

+1 Yes, always take along and have easily accessible to you one of your carry guns, loaded, even if you don't intend to shoot it that range session. Maybe it should have been assumed that you'd be doing that?

Bill K.

Rainman48314
05-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I can skip the locks and combine guns and ammo in one bag or case but there's no room for everything in one bag unless I go with one gun.

I will have the luxury of being allowed my "arsenal" anywhere in the car at any time, not just to and from the range. I can make intermediate stops as I wish. The CPL gives me more flexibility. I don't have to account for my travel destination or 'flight plan' if stopped by LEOs. Mich does require you to advise an LEO that you have a CPL and are armed if stopped.

Most important, I can carry when walking through the range's parking lot carrying $1000 to $2000 of goodies.

RomeoFoxtrot
05-10-2011, 03:15 PM
+1 Yes, always take along and have easily accessible to you one of your carry guns, loaded, even if you don't intend to shoot it that range session. Maybe it should have been assumed that you'd be doing that?

Bill K.

You could assume that.

JimBianchi
05-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I have three CCW guns.

What ever gun I am carrying that day does not get shot, it remains concealed at all times.

This is how I have always done it.

My range guns go in my range bag, for the range.

Bill K
05-10-2011, 03:41 PM
You could assume that.

Got it.

Believe if I had a routine like yours and it wasn't much of a hassle I'd continue to do the same having a CPL.

Bill K.

CJB
05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Depends on the range. One range here, no problem, you just walk in with or without ammo in your hand, but gun in pocket... and proceed to the range after signing in. Another range, if you had a concealed pistol, it must remain so, and cannot be displayed, unholstered, manipulated or fired. If you wanted to fire that particular pistol, you'd have to have it encased upon entry to the establishment. All guns need to be encased upon entry if they're to be fired.

Naturally, I go to the relaxed atmosphere range.

Bawanna
05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
We have one outdoor range that is mostly rifle but has a couple lanes for pistol. They only allow one gun on the range per man at a time. So you have to shoot one, then take it to the car and get another one. Back and forth.
I can see 1 gun on the line, a lot of ranges are that way but only one from the car at a time is senseless to me.

It's also the one that doesnt allow any concealed or open carry belt guns. The one rangemaster who is there quite frequently always says he's the only one on the range allowed to wear a belt gun.

I always carry my usual two and he's never noticed. I even had the xtreme pleasure one time while he was reading a newcomer his typical riot act about him being the only one with a belt gun to flip my vest back and display my gun to the new comer, range guy had his back to me.
We both got a good chuckle out of that.

jocko
05-10-2011, 04:33 PM
probably if we knew what their insurance was, it would smoke ur mind..

Bawanna
05-10-2011, 04:39 PM
probably if we knew what their insurance was, it would smoke ur mind..

Reminds me of another true story at the same range but I'll save it for the anything goes thread. No thread jacking from this kid.

ltxi
05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Range use guns in range bag, or otherwise for long guns, in the truck bed or trunk. Carry weapon where it always is, even when in Illinois. As to "before", don't rightly know. Haven't really been without legal right to carry since no one much cared if you had a permit and we could bring our .22 rifles to school.

jlottmc
05-11-2011, 05:55 AM
I case them, but always have a weapon that stays concealed, my "security weapon". It's kind of a hold over from days gone by. Regulations said that it we transported weapons that were not issued to us, we had to have a loaded weapon for security purposes. I liked the practice, so I still do it. That weapon stays concealed and won't be fired that session, it also stays with me until after my toys are cleaned and put back up.

HadEmAll
05-11-2011, 07:03 AM
I always have one concealed and ready to go on the way to the range, while at the range, and on the way home. You just never know. This is after CHL became available in Texas, and maybe before. I just can't remember.