PDA

View Full Version : A little miffed...

jonasmyst
05-13-2011, 09:38 PM
I while ago I had picked up a K9 after trading in a PM9. The PM9 and I did not get along. I really like the K9, good size, nice trigger and all that.

It did have a bit of a click right at the top of the trigger pull but replacing the wood grips with the rubber ones mostly got rid of that. The wooden grips were a little warped, that allowed the trigger bar to roll out a little.

Anyway, my lovely wife got me a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder holster for my birthday and I noticed that the sharp edge on the ejection port was grinding the leather liner of the holster.

Good time for a de-horning. I took it down to a local gun smith recommended by several folks. I asked them for a "gentle de-horning". Also the trigger guard had some rough spots left over from the milling of the frame and a bit of a scratch around the trigger pin. It looked like the previous owner had or tried to have some work done.

They said $150 and a week or so for that and a refinsh. I stopped by tonight to pick up some ammo and asked about the progress. They said "Oh yeah, we had to send that back to the factor. We couldn't get it back together right. It may need a new frame."

WTF! Did they totally trash it trying to put it back together. Were they going to bother to call me and let me know? Am I going to get stuck with a round trip to Kahr and repair bill?

They said it would be a couple of weeks. I guess I'll find out then.

This is why I hate getting service things done. It may get fixed but it will never be quite right again. I shoulda left well enough alone.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/jonasmyst/df92c6f4.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/jonasmyst/dfee4dbc.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/jonasmyst/0cc5eaa9.jpg

OldLincoln
05-13-2011, 10:06 PM
BTW, Garrett will reshape the holster to avoid the leather scar. They are good holsters made by good people who stand behind their products.

jonasmyst
05-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Love the holster, no issue with it.

I had been wanting to smooth the K9 out for awhile. The holster wear just gave me a reason to do it.

REACT
05-13-2011, 10:39 PM
A little miffed? Oh, I would be a lot more than miffed if the gunsmith sent back my K9 to the factory without notifying me first. That's inexcusable. I hope that it works out well for you.

Kahrson
05-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Sounds aggravating. I certainly would have expected a phone call from the shop before returning the gun to the factory. Sounds to me like they may have screwed something up they couldn't fix and was hoping to get it to the factory and back without you knowing.
I'd find a new shop in the future. I would also make a call to Kahr service and ask them what the issue is with the gun and what may have caused it as well as what their charge to the gunsmith is.
Do a little back door check on the gun shop.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

jocko
05-14-2011, 08:19 AM
kahrson has a good poinbt,m nbot sur ekahr will tellyou what you want to know, as they probably have a confiendiatly thing , but u can ask, If you know ur serial # that might help kahr to realize that it is indeed your gun that they screwed up without u knowing it was sent back.

I think I would calland ask for Melonie

Kahrson
05-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Kahr should have no issues telling him whats wrong with the gun if he provides the serial number. They may not divulge the charges to the gun shop but if he can determine that it was something that was caused by the gun shop there should be no charge from the gun shop to him for service work done by Kahr.

I would also not tell the gun shop what you find out from Kahr until you pick the gun up and find out what they want to charge you for. Chances are there is nothing nefarious they are trying to blow past you but then again nothing wrong with flushing them out if they are.

Tilos
05-14-2011, 09:48 AM
jonasmyst:
Sorry to hear about that.

I can screw up a gun (or anything) myself and try never to pay someone to do it.
With the proper tools, you could do it yourself and there are lots of how to videos out there for most miner stuff.
Remember a smith is trying to make a profit, when you work on something yourself, there is no time factor/profit/liability to consider and you can stop at anytime to do more research, etc.
I would rather take the parts for just a refinish, than hand over a complete gun to anyone.

Start with something simple, building skills as you go, and most mods can be broken down to simple steps.
I got tired of the "we're sorry" and will try anything with love before going the "for profit/out of my control" route.

They screwed up your gun simply taking a part or putting it together because time is money and they didn't want to waste time going to the Kahr site and watch a video.
It takes some serious "ham fisting" to mess something up, and they're talking the frame:7:.
And now hold you hostage, waiting for your gun they sent off:eek:.
Find a bullet to bite 'til you get it back...then open up on them.
Post bad reviews where ever you can, even if they make it right, the way they did it is just NOT "right".
Tilos

jlottmc
05-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow, I agree there would be heads lopped off. A little call to Kahr would be a good idea too. I'd be livid (ok pissed would be a better descriptor), but would in no way pay for their screw up. These Kahrs are pretty simple, and they managed to screw up a steel framed one takes some effort. I think you may need to barrow a keg of instant mushroom cloud brand whoop ass, and let that one loose. I'll send you some. It definitely sounds like they are trying to slide under the radar and pull the wool over you. No call to at least say Mea Culpa (my Bad), wow.

Willieboy
05-14-2011, 02:42 PM
REACT took my answer!

JimBianchi
05-14-2011, 04:27 PM
I would be flaming hot mad at that shop! But until you get the pistol back, you are stuck.

Just so you know, Kahr offers a complete polish/smooth for their guns. Mine just got back from the factory (previous owner messed with it so much only the factory could fix it) and there was slip of paper in the box describing the additional services and tune-ups Kahr offers.

It is something to think about for future pistols.

jonasmyst
05-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Do they advertise these services on the website. I seem to remember there was a service page on the site that I can't find anymore.

jonasmyst
05-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Found it, nevermind.

jonasmyst
05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
It's back!

So here's the deal. I called Kahr on Tuesday and they said it came in with a trigger pivot pin problem. It was in the queue and waiting. Yesterday, Wednesday, I good a call from the shop and said it was all ready. That was fast!

I picked it up this morning and got the scoop. They had trouble re-assembling it, Kahr replaced the pivot pin and apparently they have a jig/fixture for re-assembly which makes it easier. Holds everything in place. They said they felt pretty stupid about it. No charge for the Kahr trip.

So they did as promised. A gentle de-horning and the refinish. I really like the smoothed out edges. Not sure about the refinsh. It looks good but it's a little "grainy"? Either way I think they did me right. Still think they should have told me it went away. Also, the trigger click is gone, that's a bonus.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/jonasmyst/28ec1c76.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/jonasmyst/2e8c822e.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/jonasmyst/cd98fbad.jpg

Bawanna
05-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Difficult to see the texture or grain in the picture but I like what I see in all other respects. I do agree your shop should have told you about sending it in. Looks darn nice. Hope it shoots real good too. Now that would be a bonus.

jocko
05-19-2011, 06:25 PM
looks really nice to me. I think the shop did u right to. enjoy the gun, it is really a dandy, Just shoot it like u stole it..

Kahrson
05-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Alls well that ends well. Glad it worked out for you. The gun looks good to me from the pics. Enjoy!

WMD
05-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Gun looks good! Glad everything worked out for you.

gb6491
05-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Wow, that's a classic "All's well that ends well" moment.
The finished pistol looks great!
Regards,
Greg

Diocoles
06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Your "grainy" comment made me wonder what size/type media they used to refinish it.
It looks good though so hope you're happy and it shoots well.