PDA

View Full Version : FMJ Barrel wear Jacketed VS hard cast

94zcar
05-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Guys I am getting ready to order some more reloading bullets. i shoot a lot of 9mm. I have reloaded hard cast lead and copper jacketed bullets. I am thinking of just loading copper jacketed and not bothering with hard cast bullets. But, I have read that copper jacketed will wear your bore out faster than hard cast....so is that somthing to worry about?

What do you reload and why...jacketed VS hard cast?

Bawanna
05-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Its an easy choice for me, most ranges around here no longer allow lead bullets. You will likely never wear out the barrel whichever way you go. I get my FMJ's from Precision Delta. I use to use plated but get the jacketed bullets for the same or less money.
Much cleaner than lead too.
If a person cast their own I suppose one could save aot of money but I'm not going there.

94zcar
05-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Good deal Bawana, They have better prices than Magnus, that is where I bought last time. They say at near the bottom bullets must be ordered in multiples of 2000....so I guess that is the minimum order? Is that correct?

Bawanna
05-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Good deal Bawana, They have better prices than Magnus, that is where I bought last time. They say at near the bottom bullets must be ordered in multiples of 2000....so I guess that is the minimum order? Is that correct?

That's the way I read it also and I ordered the 2000. I can't hear on a phone or I would have called because it is a little confusing.

My 230gr 45's came in 4 500 round boxes. 2 each in a if it fits it ships box thru the postal service. They got their money's worth in shipping.

I like em enough that if I had the loot I would have ordered 10,000. Mail man would not be a happy camper for sure.

CJB
05-20-2011, 11:23 AM
i shoot a lot of 9mm.... I have read that copper jacketed will wear your bore out faster than hard cast

Don't give it a second thought regarding wear. The outside of the barrel will wear out before the inside does, no matter what you shoot through it, so blast away (and keep things well lubed)