PDA

View Full Version : K9 trigger pull length

Stabu
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
After trying out the PK9 and K40, I've been leaning towards getting a K9 after all. What I'm wondering now is this text on Kahr's site (http://kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_k.html):

NYCPD Specs.
The NYCPD trigger length of pull is 1/2" versus 3/8" on all other Kahr pistols. Trigger pull weight is the same as other Kahr pistols, between 7.5 and 9 lbs.

Does this mean that all K9s have a different trigger pull length or that you have to special order one to get a different pull length? Regardless, does this greatly affect how the K9 vs. the PK9/K40 shoots?

ripley16
12-15-2009, 05:58 AM
It appears that Kahr now puts the New York trigger on the K9 unless you order the Elite model. Both the stainless K9 and black slide K9 are listed with the N Y trigger on the spec sheets... the elite is not.

I assume you could order one through a dealer with the short trigger.

My new, 2009 K9 box is marked as having the NY trigger, but it was switched at the factory (at extra cost) before I got it with an elite trigger. I much prefer the shorter pull.

Stabu
12-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I actually went and asked this question directly from Kahr and this is how their E-Commerce Manager responded:

The NYPD spec K9's haev a slightly different trigger, striker spring, and recoil spring. It will say on the box of a new pistol if it is an NYPD pistol. All other K9's, and all other Kahr pistols, use the same trigger. It is really only noticable on the 1/8" extra slack that you pick up at the start of your trigger pull on an NYPD pistol. I prefer the standard trigger as it is slightly shorter, but both are smooth, and in my exprience there is no difference in accuracy while shooting.

So if I understood that again correctly, they still make K9's with the shorter trigger pull, but you won't know what you get unless you specify it when you order the gun. (Maybe I will ask them a second question regarding this :p.)

jocko
12-16-2009, 05:52 AM
I actually went and asked this question directly from Kahr and this is how their E-Commerce Manager responded:

So if I understood that again correctly, they still make K9's with the shorter trigger pull, but you won't know what you get unless you specify it when you order the gun. (Maybe I will ask them a second question regarding this :p.)

kahr make s e K9 in the elite trigger version and that would be model #K9098, all the K9 kahrs that have the model # with a C after them indicates NYPD trigger.

to my knowledge the K9 NYPD trigger does NOT have a different striker spring in them nor recoil spring. I am checking on that also but I think that is wrong..

I have a K9 and it shoots excellent and I never even knew about the NYPD trigger when I bought it (used) until I read it on one of the gun forums. I checked about removing it and then after shooting it and realizing that before I knew about the trigger difference I was happy as a lark, so why change because I just read about it. And for the cost to do so, that ruled it out for me immediately. I would not recommend one trying to do it themselves and you best have a damn good smitty's locally if you chance it with them. They are a bugger to change out. I would definitely let kahr do it. Humm, I wonder if the FBI had that NYPD trigger in the K9, if today we would be bragging about what a wonder ful trigger it is????? Maybe not. YMMV.

There are more people than one would think that love the NYPD trigger in the glocks. We were glock armorers back when I wasin the gun business and we sold to our local sheriff's dept and they all requested the NYPD trigger in them, We installed them. My feeling backthen was that they wanted to just follow suit with the NYPD , nothing more. I felt back then when they said we have the special NYPD TRIGGER in our glocks that made their glocks more important than regualr John does' glock.

Alot of lE departments want to be different than what the general public carrys, why that is I will never know and it might just be my observation.

I have since found out that the ONLY change on the K9 NYPD guns is the 1/2" trigger pull, THERE IS NO CHANGE IN RECOIL SPRINGS OR STRIKER SPRINGS. Hope this clears things up for most.. thank you.

Stabu
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Like I promised, I wrote Kahr back and this is what they replied:

Almost every K9 comes with the standard trigger pull. It only has the NYPD trigger if the model number says NYPD after it, thats no more than 10% of the total K9's that we ship out of here.

So apparently you can get a K9 with a standard trigger pull or with a NYPD trigger pull. I guess you better specify this when you order if you have a strong preference one way or the other...

jocko
12-17-2009, 06:04 AM
I guess one should look on the kahr webb site and look at the K9 section, other than the elite K9 every K9 comes with the model number of C behind it, that indicates NYPD trigger.

Are these the same people who told you the nypd MODELS HAVE SPECIAL STRIKER SPRNGS AND RECOIL SPRINGS TO?????? We know that is wrong to.

I have forwared your quote on the K( comment abouve to inside people who can give the correct answers. I am sure there must be a model number of the K9 that does not show or have the NYPD trigger in it but on the kahr webb site under thier listing of models of the K9, the only model that falls into that category is the K9 elite and it has no "C" on the end of the model number either.

ripley16
12-17-2009, 06:14 AM
I guess one should look on the kahr webb site and look at the K9 section, other than the elite K9 every K9 comes with the model number of C behind it, that indicates NYPD trigger.

That is true, but the Kahr site isn't known for 100% accuracy in the specs or descriptions. Sometimes what is seen there is more confusing than not...IMHO.

jocko
12-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I have no idea who the person is in E-commerce either, but I can tell you that some very high up with kahr and who has been there for years, just wrote me back when I inquired about STABU replay from the E-commerce manager and said that was 100% totally wrong. All K9 kahrs except the elite K9 has the NYPD in it..
I am not trying to argue here with anyone but I am wanting to set the record straigh on some of this information that evidently is coming from inside of Kahr that is false.

jocko
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
That is true, but the Kahr site isn't known for 100% accuracy in the specs or descriptions. Sometimes what is seen there is more confusing than not...IMHO.

be right, but I do think they are right in their model numbers of their guns....

Stabu
12-17-2009, 06:27 PM

The reason why I asked this in the first place was that Kahr's site seemed to be slightly contradictory. In one part of the site they don't mention the NYPD specs at all (e.g. Kahr Arms Brochure), in other parts they mention it as a separate model (e.g. K9 Series under Pistols in the Products section) and in the Kahr Specification Chart they claim that all K9's would have a NYPD trigger. If I look at some reviews linked on their site, such as the Guns &Weapons for Law Enforcement review from November 1998, there is an indication that the K9 is NYPD approved, meaning that those triggers have been around at least since then.

According to the response I got from Kahr the C model number doesn't necessarily mean that it would have a NYPD trigger on it (quoting again):

Almost every K9 comes with the standard trigger pull. It only has the NYPD trigger if the model number says NYPD after it, thats no more than 10% of the total K9's that we ship out of here.

So the C after the model could indicate something else? Then again, this would be strange as well, since no other Kahr models have any letters after them... One possibility could be that Kahr is manufacturing and selling both the previous version and the NYPD version side by side, but are only advertising for the later.

Are these the same people who told you the nypd MODELS HAVE SPECIAL STRIKER SPRNGS AND RECOIL SPRINGS TO?????? We know that is wrong to.

The same (one) person. I e-mailed Kahr via the sales e-mail address that you can find on their site. An e-commerce manager called Clayton responded to me (if you want his e-mail address, PM me, I don't want to give it out publicly). What he said exactly was (quoting again):

The NYPD spec K9's haev a slightly different trigger, striker spring, and recoil spring.

To me, slightly different could mean anything from being of a different color, being of a slightly different metal, having a slightly different length or diameter (e.g. on the 0.01 inch level) or equal that could be totally unnoticeable even to the trained human eye, unless he would be comparing the two supposedly different parts side by side.

I have no idea who the person is in E-commerce either, but I can tell you that some very high up with kahr and who has been there for years, just wrote me back when I inquired about STABU replay from the E-commerce manager and said that was 100% totally wrong.

One thing that greatly puzzles me now is how could it be that there is contradictory information about their products between the various workers in their firm? I would expect that at least everyone who deals with either the gun manufacturing process or customer communication would be 100% in the know of what goes into what guns.

I will probably give someone else there a call later and if I decide to buy this gun make a special request of having the standard trigger on it. If it isn't possible, then it isn't, but at least I'm going to give it a try...

ripley16
12-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Not to add to any confusion, but I'll tell you what is on my 2009 K9 that I bought a short while ago.

It has TWO stickers, (three actually, but one just says "Blemished").

This K9 originally had a NY trigger, but it was replaced with a standard (elite) trigger at the factory.

The original sticker reads;
K9 9mm Stainless Night Sight K9093NAC

The second sticker, located above the original on the lid of the case reads;
Kahr K9 9mm 3.5" MSTS NS NY Blem 089
KAK9093NACB

As you can see, one sticker clearly says NY...one does not.
We know that N= night sights.
Either A or C must = the trigger.
I remember a thread on Glocktalk that explained which is which and I'll try to find it.
EDIT; I found the thread. The answer given then was that AC = New York trigger

Sometimes this stuff is worse than code dates on food!:confused:

jocko
12-18-2009, 05:16 AM
Not to add to any confusion, but I'll tell you what is on my 2009 K9 that I bought a short while ago.

It has TWO stickers, (three actually, but one just says "Blemished").

This K9 originally had a NY trigger, but it was replaced with a standard (elite) trigger at the factory.

The original sticker reads;
K9 9mm Stainless Night Sight K9093NAC

The second sticker, located above the original on the lid of the case reads;
Kahr K9 9mm 3.5" MSTS NS NY Blem 089
KAK9093NACB

As you can see, one sticker clearly says NY...one does not.

909= 9mm
3 = matt stainless steel slide
n= tritium night sights
c= NYPD trigger
A= have no idea.

Unless you had or they put it in writing that your K9 nowhas the elite trigger, I would say it still has the NYPD
We know that N= night sights.
Either A or C must = the trigger.
I remember a thread on Glocktalk that explained which is which and I'll try to find it.
EDIT; I found the thread. The answer given then was that AC = New York trigger

Sometimes this stuff is worse than code dates on food!:confused:

909 = 9mm
3 = matt stainaless steel sldie
n = tritium sights
c = NYPD trigger
b = bl;emished

Unless they put it in writing our you actually had the trigger system changed over before you bought it, I would say your K9 has the NYPD trigger in it.

Nothing in the models numbers tells me that it deos not have the NYPD trigger in it..

ripley16
12-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Unless they put it in writing our you actually had the trigger system changed over before you bought it, I would say your K9 has the NYPD trigger in it.

Nothing in the models numbers tells me that it deos not have the NYPD trigger in it..

Jocko, I was just pointing out that there are two ways Kahr may elect to disclose the trigger type. Either in the model code or in relatively plain english. I wanted to post an actual sticker for a K9 that came with a N.Y. trigger so that folks contemplating buying one would know what to look for.

I already stated the original trigger was replaced at the factory with an elite trigger. I don't really care for the N.Y. trigger, (my first K9 came with the long trigger).

jocko
12-18-2009, 10:11 AM
sorry about that, I miss understood your point of reference. Thats why I had asked if you had the elite trigger installed.

I'm on track now...