PDA

View Full Version : Quick PM9 question

Bigcube
06-01-2011, 07:18 PM
What's the weight of the PM9 trigger pull? I recall it was around 6# but seems it's not listed on Kahr's website? Thanks! :D

CJB
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I thought it was seven pounds like the PM45s?

WMD
06-02-2011, 06:03 AM
I am pretty sure I read somewhere the trigger pull from the factory is around 6 to 7.5. Of course, the more you use it, the surfaces mate, friction reduces and it will get smoother.

Hope this helps!

jocko
06-02-2011, 06:09 AM
UR BOTH RIGHT. kahr doesn't list it, it is the same for all their guns, they have told me numerous times it is around 7- 7.5#. No doubt if you shoot the gun a thousand rounds it will smooth out nicely and the poundage seems to drop down into the 6+ # range.

I have a trigger gauge that is certainly not quality either and I get variable reading + or - half pound every time. So I just accept wha kahr tells me and proceed to shoot it like I stole it. I personaly copuld not tell the difference between a 6.5
# trigger and a 7.5# trigger..

melissa5
06-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Would it be a bad thing to have a gunsmith make the trigger pull to around 5 lbs?

MW surveyor
06-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Melissa

You could order a 5 lb striker spring from Wolff (order the 3 pack) and put it in yourself for way cheaper than what a gunsmith would charge :). I've done it, Jocko's done it and Bawanna's done it and probably a whole bunch more people as well.

No light strikes or failures to fire for me or Jocko as yet.

melissa5
06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Melissa

You could order a 5 lb striker spring from Wolff (order the 3 pack) and put it in yourself for way cheaper than what a gunsmith would charge :). I've done it, Jocko's done it and Bawanna's done it and probably a whole bunch more people as well.

No light strikes or failures to fire for me or Jocko as yet.

Excellent! I will give this a go. Thanks for the info!

jocko
06-02-2011, 08:55 AM
go for it, u won't regret it, drops right in.

MW surveyor
06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Melissa -

Look at the sticky in the tech section on the complete tear down of the slide and make up a "tool" (bent coat hanger wire) to hold the striker forward for tear down and replacement. Will make this way easier than using the slide lock. You do not have to go any further than the removing of the striker and spring (unless you want too).

melissa5
06-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Melissa -

Look at the sticky in the tech section on the complete tear down of the slide and make up a "tool" (bent coat hanger wire) to hold the striker forward for tear down and replacement. Will make this way easier than using the slide lock. You do not have to go any further than the removing of the striker and spring (unless you want too).

Thanks again!

Bigcube
06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. Reason I asked is Ive heard the Diamondback 9mm has a smooth DAO trigger and is about 5#. I know my PM9 is a very smooth trigger and wondered what the weight difference might be. Thanks for the info!

DJK11
06-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I installed the Wolffs 5 lb spring in my PM9 and PM45 and they both pulled 4.5 lb. I CAN feel a difference. Wish they had one for the P380.

Rainman48314
06-02-2011, 10:13 PM
go for it, u won't regret it, drops right in.
Are there other pull weights available, say 6 to 6.5#?

Any concerns about going as light as 5# because there is no safety?

Could this be an AD waiting to happen in a pocket carry when a holster isn't used?

Am I correct that the length of the trigger pull in still long but that the force is reduced from 7.5 to 5# ?

MW surveyor
06-03-2011, 05:26 AM
Are there other pull weights available, say 6 to 6.5#? Not that I've seen on their website.

Any concerns about going as light as 5# because there is no safety? Not safety wise. The only concern would be light strikes on the primers. But I've not had any in the last 400 rounds since it was installed and I haven't heard of any from other people who have done this.

Could this be an AD waiting to happen in a pocket carry when a holster isn't used? Could be if you don't use a holster, keep other junk in the same pocket and "play" with the gun in your pocket.

Am I correct that the length of the trigger pull in still long but that the force is reduced from 7.5 to 5# ? Yes you are correct. There is no change in the length of the trigger pull.

Answers in red.

Hope this helps.

Lulu
06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Just be careful if you replace things yourself or use reloads. It may void warranties. I'd check to be sure.

jocko
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Are there other pull weights available, say 6 to 6.5#?

Any concerns about going as light as 5# because there is no safety?

Could this be an AD waiting to happen in a pocket carry when a holster isn't used?

Am I correct that the length of the trigger pull in still long but that the force is reduced from 7.5 to 5# ?

ur asking for troulbe putting any gun in your pocket without a hoster covering the trigger area. be it a 5# striker or a 7# striker. U really can't feel the difference in the pocket situation.

If in doubt just don't do it, what we tell u or anyone has any bearing on what you mgiht do or not do. I personally never leave home without my pM9 in my front pocket IN A DESANTIS HOLSTER which I deem totally safe from any AD/ND and I have had the 5# striker in it since the git go, ovber 32,000 rounds ago. Never a light strike, that just ain't gonna happen. Glocks I think come factory standard at 5#, so what the big deal, Kahrs are even safer due to the looooong trigger system.

jocko
06-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Just be careful if you replace things yourself or use reloads. It may void warranties. I'd check to be sure.

half true. If u have any issues what so ever with ur kahr andit is under warranty and not related to the 5# striker spring, they will warranty it. If the 5# striker spreing is the culprit, just replace it with another 5# striker spring or go back to the kahr factory spring. I seriously doubt if kahr could tell which is which. Call and ask them and I can assure you what the answer is going to be. so don't ask , don't tell.

I would think kahr would have a hard time saying ones 5# striker spring caused the frame to crack, or trigger system to break..