PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever do this!!!!

Rainman48314
06-04-2011, 05:47 PM
This morning, my GF and I had an early tee time at Twin Lakes Golf Club. It's in a nice area and I debated even taking a pistol. Last thing I want is to have it stolen, since our car is there about 5-6 hours unattended if we eat lunch after playing 18. I have taken a gun to the course before and stashed it in my bag while playing, but I also have left it in the car when weather looks threatening.

Long story a bit short, I did take my Sig P238 with me and stashed it in that neat compartment under the passenger seat cushion of her Dodge Journey. I had it in the door pocket coming and going.

When we got home, I put it away in the night stand in anticipation of taking a nice nap. I was puzzed that there was a loaded mag and one loose 380 HP already there. Sure enough, I'd had a senior moment in the morning. I blame it on rising at 6:00 AM, which I very rarely do. Today we wanted to beat the heat.

I had carried "Locked and loaded"...but with a completely empty weapon. I looked for a thread here about "dumb things I have done" but couldn't find one. Perhaps it was another forum. Everyone here is pretty sharp.

For you golfers, I shot an 88 from the blue tees, she shot 91 from the white tees. I'm still a bad putter!

Any other senior moments out there?

wyntrout
06-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't unload mine at home... no kids, so I haven't carried unloaded like that, but I HAVE forgotten my gun a few times, but not for a long time.:rolleyes:

65 in 3 weeks... senior moments allowed. :D

Wynn:)

ltxi
06-04-2011, 06:16 PM
More all the time.....fortunately so far none to do with guns.

BuckeyeBlast
06-04-2011, 06:25 PM
My CCW goes from my hip to my safe at night, and back to my hip in the morning without ever leaving it's holster. (loaded the whole time) Is this an option for you?

rwblue01
06-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I am having a conversation on another forum with carrying in condition 3. If you are loading and unloading all the time, this might be a good option for you.

BTW, I am glad this wasn't an issue for you. I am not sure sure which is worse, carrying thinking it is loaded or dry firing thinking it isn't loaded. Either way is really bad.

Rainman48314
06-04-2011, 06:38 PM
My CCW goes from my hip to my safe at night, and back to my hip in the morning without ever leaving it's holster. (loaded the whole time) Is this an option for you?

It is now. I am switching between my Kahr and Sig, and that contributes to the confusion. I also just cleaned it and put it away without the mag because I had a loaded HK P30 in that same drawer. Its not a carry gun for me.

Rainman48314
06-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I am having a conversation on another forum with carrying in condition 3. If you are loading and unloading all the time, this might be a good option for you.

BTW, I am glad this wasn't an issue for you. I am not sure sure which is worse, carrying thinking it is loaded or dry firing thinking it isn't loaded. Either way is really bad.

I can't see carrying an intentionally unloaded weapon. If the time ever comes to use it, I can't risk the added step will be timely AND willl properly load the chamber. This is especially true on my Kahr since its so new and has a stiff spring. It's silly on my Sig because it has a safety and in a pocket holster made for it.

Where I live and where I usually travel, I'd rather carry unloaded by mistake than dry fire and get a boom. I live in a condo and my neighbors could be at risk.

TucsonMTB
06-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Any other senior moments out there?
Not really. At my age it's too early to start worrying about . . . now what were we talking about? :o

OldLincoln
06-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I always carry where allowed and have a house gun setup at my ready in bed. So I hang up my pants - pistol in it - when I'm going to bed. Changing pants is a simple transfer from one to the other. Both guns stay loaded and locked all the time, except when I'm doing my laser training, and then it loads immediately after.

What happened to Rainman is why. I have to BELIEVE it is ready all the time or else I'll check it 100 times a day. Same way I rattle the doors at night before bed.

rholmes69
06-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Are you complaining about shooting a 88?

You know, they say that only 10% of golfers shoot under 100. That means that 90% of my friends are a bunch of damn liars!

Rainman48314
06-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Are you complaining about shooting a 88?

You know, they say that only 10% of golfers shoot under 100. That means that 90% of my friends are a bunch of damn liars!
I always think about the easy putts I missed, or that one chunked pitch and get annoyed I didn't score better.

If I had practiced my saxophone as a kid, nearly as much as I have my golf game, I'd be headlining at f'ing Carnegie Hall! LOL

OldLincoln
06-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I really liked golf and was into it big time. Problem is I got worse the harder I tried. Had more than one instructor tell me to take up the harmonica instead. My swing was inconsistent so I bought the Tommy Armour Equal clubs that are all cut to the same length. I bought different putters, and tried everything until I finally admitted that it simply is not for me. Yes I was one of the 90% and 105 was a good day. Sigh....

BuckeyeBlast
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I was actually pretty good at golf. Played when I was a kid, but got kicked off my high school golf team after breaking a pitching wedge across me knee and throwing a putter into a tree. Over 15 years later, I've only played a couple of times since.

Thank goodness I learned to control my anger before taking up the shooting sports. :)

jocko
06-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I really liked golf and was into it big time. Problem is I got worse the harder I tried. Had more than one instructor tell me to take up the harmonica instead. My swing was inconsistent so I bought the Tommy Armour Equal clubs that are all cut to the same length. I bought different putters, and tried everything until I finally admitted that it simply is not for me. Yes I was one of the 90% and 105 was a good day. Sigh....

often said that about my shooting ability to. Never tried the harmonica:( probably couldn't pay the damn thing either!!

Rainman48314
06-05-2011, 02:12 PM
They say adults who take up the game no longer improve after the first three years.

I shot 83 today from the Blue Tee at Blackheath GC, Rochester MI. She shot 90 from the Men's White tee. Weather was gorgeous. I enjoyed myself. The Sig came along with a full mag and one in the chamber. The extra hour of sleep I got must of helped. Cashew Chicken, Chicken LoMein and egg rolls rounded out the afternoon.

O'Dell
06-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I had carried "Locked and loaded"...but with a completely empty weapon. I looked for a thread here about "dumb things I have done" but couldn't find one. Perhaps it was another forum. Everyone here is pretty sharp.

For you golfers, I shot an 88 from the blue tees, she shot 91 from the white tees. I'm still a bad putter!

Any other senior moments out there?[/QUOTE]

I guess that's as good an explanation as any. I took my USP 40 to the range for the first time a couple of months ago along with three 13-14 round mags. Forty+ rounds gives a lot of shooting between reloading mags. Anyway, at about the 120 round point, I had loaded the mags and was ready to shoot. I pulled the trigger and.....click! uh-oh. I reached up and cocked the hammer and again.... click. I thought, HK don't fail! Then I looked down at the counter and saw three loaded mags.