PDA

View Full Version : 124 or 147gr 9mm?

500KV
12-15-2009, 05:48 AM
What's your preference?
I normally carry 124gr Golden Saber because it "seems" to produce less felt recoil than the 147gr round in my PM9 and g19 but I've never really studied the ballistics/effectiveness data.

I know this subject has probably been beat to death but just wondered what others thought.

Dietrich
12-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi bud,I too carry the Golden Saber in 124 grain for self defense.I`ve shot this round into wetpack,water jugs and used it when I helped a friend kill hogs for slaughter.All I can tell you is that it works and works well.It dropped 200 pound hogs in their tracks and scrambled their brains so badly that I had to stop using it because they couldn`t salvage the brains to use for brains and eggs.By then I had the information that I wanted anyway.I can`t give you any input on the 147 grain round as I haven`t felt the need to try it out after I saw what the 124 grain did.If you want gelatin test results,google Golden Loki and check his testing out. If memory serves,he used a handgun with a 3.1 inch barrel so the difference in your PM9 should be negligible.Best,Dietrich.

deadhead1971
12-15-2009, 09:23 AM
I tried a box of winchester 147 hollow points--personal defense. $15 a box at walmart

I thought the 147s were more accurate with tighter groups

jocko
12-15-2009, 09:56 AM
defense rounds. My preference is 115 dpx or 124 gold dots, for no other reason that they work perfect and are available. Any defense round will do the job but it has to work perfect out of the gun, that must be #1...:59:

ripley16
12-15-2009, 11:02 AM
From my point of view it all depends on the pistol's barrel length. The heavier the round, the slower it travels and that speed lessens as the barrel length shortens.

For example from a PM9 I'd shoot 115gr., from a T9 I'd feel fine with a 147gr.

The Speer Short Barrel ammo, which is 124gr +P would also be of interest in the PM9.

500KV
12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Some excellent opinions right there men.
That's some interesting testing Loki did Dietrich.
He even had some comparable data on the 9x18 that looks about as good as the 9mm to me.

Those Maks are one reliable little gun. Used to carry mine quite a bit as well. Think I paid all of $165 for it.
Put that thing in an Uncle Mikes and you have the ultimate budget friendly CCW rig.:p

jocko
12-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Some excellent opinions right there men.
That's some interesting testing Loki did Dietrich.
He even had some comparable data on the 9x18 that looks about as good as the 9mm to me.

Those Maks are one reliable little gun. Used to carry mine quite a bit as well. Think I paid all of $165 for it.
Put that thing in an Uncle Mikes and you have the ultimate budget friendly CCW rig.:p

the german Maks. what a super top quality made handgun for under $150 back kwhen I was in gun business and we sold hujndreds of them. The german Models were very rare for us to get. I recently sold mine for no other reason that I never shot it anymore after getting my PM9, but the Maks are just one great gun..

jocko
12-15-2009, 01:42 PM
From my point of view it all depends on the pistol's barrel length. The heavier the round, the slower it travels and that speed lessens as the barrel length shortens.

For example from a PM9 I'd shoot 115gr., from a T9 I'd feel fine with a 147gr.

The Speer Short Barrel ammo, which is 124gr +P would also be of interest in the PM9.

ever shot the speer short barrel ammo 124+p and the regular +P124 speer. I sometime wonder if this might not be alot of ad hype, more than substance. I like the +P regualr gold dots and corbon dpx as normal fodder for my PM9 and also will carry and shoot power ball, It might give up alittle expansion compared to the two above mentioned rounds but those pwoer ball babies will feed in the worst of semi's. Not sure a BG would know the difference between a power ball and 124 gold dot.

500KV
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
All I can tell you is that it works and works well.It dropped 200 pound hogs in their tracks and scrambled their brains so badly that I had to stop using it because they couldn`t salvage the brains to use for brains and eggs.
Killing hogs with a GS round is just a waste of powder and lead Dietrich.
Grandpa use to pop 'em behind the left ear with a 22 short. (Yep..had to be the left ear ???) Killed 'em deader than Julius Caesar.
Yummmm..Brains and eggs.:hungry:

Now, before you all say anything..I'll bet you like hot dogs..Right? Tell the truth.:D

Dietrich
12-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes,brains and eggs.The culinary delight that lightly dances across the taste buds and leaves one breathless with the anticipation of the next succulent morsel to caress the palate.

Mr. S
12-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I prefer 147 gr.
Assuming the round functions 100% in your gun the 147 will offer more penetration which is the 2nd most important thing in defense ammo IMHO.
Also 147 loses less velocity from a shorter barrel than a 124gr. will.

I carry a Kahr P9 and use Federal 147 HST or Winchester Ranger T 147gr.

If I were going to carry a lighter round it would be the 115+p Corbon DPX

jocko
12-15-2009, 05:29 PM
I would think that 147 gr would be ideal in the P9, agree on the dps also in the PM9. It is one of my 3 carry rounds, alot with gold dots and power ball.. I know the pwoer ball doesn't come up to the standards of the dpx or gold dot but for some reason that round just seems to grow on me, so I keep it around. If feeds perfectly, all the time, any time and it seems anyway I rack my PM9 to...

500KV
12-15-2009, 05:34 PM
If I were going to carry a lighter round it would be the 115+p Corbon DPX
That is a fine round for sure.
I was just reading about it a while ago.

jocko
12-15-2009, 05:46 PM
If u think about it, there is really not much "junk" American made defense ammo out there. Some are better than others but even the lowest on the totem pole is light years ahead of what we had 15 years ago. Powder is better, bullets are far better, .

500KV
12-16-2009, 06:31 AM
If u think about it, there is really not much "junk" American made defense ammo out there. Some are better than others but even the lowest on the totem pole is light years ahead of what we had 15 years ago. Powder is better, bullets are far better, .
Today's ammo is indeed light years ahead of what we use to have.
Heck, I remember when the best you could find was a S&W 38 with lead bullets. They'd cut an X on the end and call them "dum dums".
Put a lot of BGs belly-up with them though.

ltxi
12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Today's ammo is indeed light years ahead of what we use to have.
Heck, I remember when the best you could find was a S&W 38 with lead bullets. They'd cut an X on the end and call them "dum dums".
Put a lot of BGs belly-up with them though.

.......and then SuperVel came along and we could rejoice in our salvation. :)

500KV
12-17-2009, 06:06 AM
.......and then SuperVel came along and we could rejoice in our salvation. :)
Right lt; That 110gr 38spl Super-vel was a virtual revolution back then.
It would seem that was where the modern day ammo advances began and still a heck of a round IMO, especially in 357mag.