PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Quality Question

ricklee4570
06-22-2011, 06:15 AM
I have never owned a Kahr before. My local gun dealer has a new PM9 in stock that I am very interested in. I was leaning toward the CM9 but I really like the black finish of the PM9 that he has in stock.

Is there anything I need to inspect or check on this gun before purchasing? I have read that some have issues with the electroless nickel flaking off in the chamber and feed ramp of the barrels. Has this been corrected? If so, are there any serial numbers that I should know about that were affected by this?

There is no telling how long they may have had this particular pistol on the shelf. I recently bought a S&W M&P from them that they "just got in" and when I called S&W they informed me that the build date was October of 2009.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

jlottmc
06-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Would not worry about it. Buy the gun prep it and then shoot it till the cows come home. When they do come home, shoot them for taking so long. Enjoy it and don't over think things.

harrydog
06-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I have never owned a Kahr before. My local gun dealer has a new PM9 in stock that I am very interested in. I was leaning toward the CM9 but I really like the black finish of the PM9 that he has in stock.

Is there anything I need to inspect or check on this gun before purchasing? I have read that some have issues with the electroless nickel flaking off in the chamber and feed ramp of the barrels. Has this been corrected? If so, are there any serial numbers that I should know about that were affected by this?

There is no telling how long they may have had this particular pistol on the shelf. I recently bought a S&W M&P from them that they "just got in" and when I called S&W they informed me that the build date was October of 2009.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
The barrels are coated with electroless nickel? I didn't know that. Are you sure?

Bawanna
06-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes the barrels are nickel coated and that was an old issue in a finite number of barrels that apparently got improperly coated.

I'd say it's a non issue and if my some stroke of bad luck it becomes an issue in this case Kahr will take care of it.

If your piggy bank has the funds and you like it, I'd go for it. If you have issues, highly doubtful, kahr and the folks here will take care of it.

OldLincoln
06-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Rick, by properly following the prep guides you will avoid most issues new Kahr owners have. You have other guns so the only other thing I'll say is the Kahr shoots different than most. It's like a short wheelbase sports car so you have to manage it with a firm grip and avoid limp wristing. Once you put some rounds through it you will love it like the rest of us do.

Big_John_1961
06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I've only had my PM9 for a week, but I would say that, indeed, it is a high quality firearm. Mine was tight as hell when I got it, so I went through the Kahr prep thread thoroughly before heading to the range. Cleaning and lubing alone did a lot to smooth out the action, as did racking the slide 500-600 times.

My 200 round initial range session was absolutely flawless, using Sellier & Bellot ball ammo. The little Kahr shoots beautifully and I found it to be very accurate at self defense distances. After all the crap I've had to go through with my P380, the PM9 is a welcome change for me.

I say if you can swing the dollars, go for this pistol. It's a little sweet honey of a sub-compact 9mm. I'm very pleased with mine.