PDA

View Full Version : Pocketing the MK9

medezyner
12-17-2009, 02:00 PM
How's the weight of that MK9 feel in the front pocket after a solid day of wear? There may be times, although not many, that it will be hanging out there all day in a good quality holster. I sure like the light weight of the polymer, but the steel has really caught my eye. I shoot 9mm +P polymer frames with adequate accuracy, but of course when it comes to taming those hot loads and getting off a quicker follow-up, steel's the deal.
Who pocket's this beauty and what’s your thought? Thanks all.

jocko
12-17-2009, 02:25 PM
My two cents but if ur gonna pocket carry get the PM9, If u think you will waist band carry more than pocket carry get the MK9. One awesome gun, but you will know ur carrying it in ur pocket, IMO.

medezyner
12-17-2009, 03:02 PM
It will spend most if its time IWB, but will also see ankle, belly band and pocket. Thats where I'm sure the PM9 will shine. Hey, either one, I cant go wrong!

jocko
12-17-2009, 03:14 PM
It will spend most if its time IWB, but will also see ankle, belly band and pocket. Thats where I'm sure the PM9 will shine. Hey, either one, I cant go wrong!

best friends son was Govoner J. bush bodyguard for 4 years and his BUG was the MK40. He still has it to this day.

MisterAnderson
12-17-2009, 03:38 PM
IMHO it's a bit heavy to pocket carry. I tried for a bit using a Nemesis holster, and for me, it was simply too uncomfortable. I leave pocket carry to the LCP/P3AT crowd. YMMV, but I thought it was considerably visible even in jeans that were two sizes too big.

jocko
12-17-2009, 05:09 PM
IMHO it's a bit heavy to pocket carry. I tried for a bit using a Nemesis holster, and for me, it was simply too uncomfortable. I leave pocket carry to the LCP/P3AT crowd. YMMV, but I thought it was considerably visible even in jeans that were two sizes too big.

only visible because you know it is there. No one is looking. I have pocket carried in tight jeans for over 3years almost 24/7, set many times with 3 state troopers who ride Harley's with me. They have never noticed. I have yet to this day ever been challenged and I have pocket carried for 48 years and early on it was a J frame Smith.

Next time ur out, just think about if you really look in that direction of a person even. I know even though that I carry, I never look at his pants pockets etc. I do agree the MK is a tad to heavy for pocket carry but I carried a Model 60 smith for many years. My PM9 rides perfectly in my front pocket in a desantis. I hardly ever carry my P380 or lcp, just not enough firepower when I can put that jPM9 about anywhere I can my P380 kahr.

hollander
12-17-2009, 07:00 PM
IMO the Mk9 is too heavy for pocket carry. I have the MK9 and the PM9. The PM is fine both in the pocket and on the belt. I bought the MK9 for the belt and it is heavy enough to really know it is there while the PM9 on the belt is basically a no notice. Both guns are great and I love both of them. The MK is a bit easier to shoot because of the weight. I guess if you are going to choose one gun I would choose the PM9 because it is the most versatile. Good Luck and enjoy the holidays.

ltxi
12-17-2009, 07:17 PM
IMO the Mk9 is too heavy for pocket carry. I have the MK9 and the PM9. The PM is fine both in the pocket and on the belt. I bought the MK9 for the belt and it is heavy enough to really know it is there while the PM9 on the belt is basically a no notice. Both guns are great and I love both of them. The MK is a bit easier to shoot because of the weight. I guess if you are going to choose one gun I would choose the PM9 because it is the most versatile. Good Luck and enjoy the holidays.

x2....if I had to do it again I would not have purchased my MK9. Nice, but too heavy for the size/purpose given the PM9 option.

medezyner
12-18-2009, 07:11 AM
You guys have confirmed my concerns so now I have to buy a PM9 and a K9! Well, at least I can get the PM9 on order this weekend and start filling up the change bucket again. I’m ordering from the factory so I won’t see it for another 4-6 weeks. I’ll post my results when I get to the club (can’t wait). Thanks for your responses.

MisterAnderson
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
only visible because you know it is there.

Yes Yes, I know that the general public has a general lack of situational awareness. :rolleyes:

faulty
12-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I've been carrying my MK9 Elite '03 in my pocket for years. I use a Matt Del Fatti pocket holster. I do not find the MK9 to be too heavy for this mode of carrying. So long as I am not wearing flimsy pants like sweat pants and I have a sturdy belt, which I always do have, the MK9's weight is not an issue.

Geronimo509
12-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree with faulty. except I use a desanti superfly.

wingnut
12-22-2009, 10:44 PM
I agree with the above posts. I pocket carry the MK9 and I think it's fine to pocket carry. I specifically got it over the PM9 because I shoot the MK9 a lot better. The weight isn't a big deal to me in the pocket and makes a huge difference for me during shooting. Just get a good belt, which you'll need for IWB carry anyway.

That's just my $0.01 on the matter.
(due to the current economy, I can't afford to give you my $0.02)

vmo
01-10-2010, 10:08 AM
I attempted to pocket carry a MK40, and a K40 Covert. Neither worked for me. They both pulled the pocket down and to me, made it print. I have wondered it somehow attaching the holster to the belt via a strap would solve this issue. The belt should distribute the weight of the pistol more and reduce the printing. My solution, buy a PM45. I shot the PM40 and decided that it was too much in too small of a package.

vmo

jkp1187
05-09-2011, 04:46 AM
It depends on the circumstances, and YMMV, but I find pocket carrying the MK9 to be no big deal. It's going to print if you're wearing tight jeans, but I don't think it draws much attention.

I do agree that it does get heavy after a few hours when it's it in the front pocket, but if you have a deep enough back pocket, it's barely noticeable at all (and for those who are looking, it looks just like a wallet.) I've also had it in an interior jacket pocket with success.

It is more comfortable when I carry OWB with a cover garment, but I think the weight is the price of doing business with it. I do like how it shoots, and don't really intend to change at this point.

jocko
05-09-2011, 05:01 AM
I pocket carry my PM9 24/7in jeans, ride a Harley alot, sit and drink with some state cops friends/bikers of mine, Does it print in my desantis or uncle mikes holster, sure it does. Does anyone notice NO, they are not looking there at all and printing and knowing what is there is two different things. I never worry about the printing thing. I have bene carrying 48 years in my front pocket and my J frame prints more than my kahrs and never been challenged yet. U won't nice the weight thing with the polymer kahrs over the steel versions. Has to be a diffrerence in pocket weight..

mogman
05-11-2011, 11:51 PM
too much weight banging against your leg. Practice with MK pistol of choice and carry the polymer

mogman
05-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I pocket carry a PM9 in a cheap Uncle Mike's black pocket holster and stuff two or three dollar bills in the lower corner opposite the barrel to "square out" the bottom of the holster so it doesn't print. Looks like a wallet. If you want more money in an emmergency use 5, 10, or 20 dollar bills. I work in a medical clinic and carry 24/7. Concealed is concealed. No one sees it. Tactical dress pants help

jreXD9
05-16-2011, 06:43 PM
does the PM9 pocket carry better than the MK9? From experience I know that it sure does, but IMO the MK9 shoots waaay better than the PM9. I'll take that any day.

JimBianchi
05-16-2011, 07:11 PM
I pocket carry my MK9 in an AHolster. Works great in khaki pants and loose jeans. No-go with tight jeans. (But in a pinch, I did use an old Nemisis holster and pocket carried it in a pair of 501s, but it was in the back pocket. Still worked, but not perfect)

For a drop-and-go fast, all day carry method, pocket-carry is a favorite.

kahrseye
05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
I own both guns and I definitely prefer the PM9 for pocket carry. I also shoot the PM9 better than I shoot the MK9. I notice no difference in recoil between the two

MT45
05-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Was waaaay too heavy. Can you do it, YES. It WILL be uncomfortable after long periods. As I type this I have a CM9 in my right front pocket for going on 8 hours - running around the house I tend to forget it's even there. I would suggest polymer. I would also suggest buying the stainless for holster carry IWB or otherwise - just not pocket. My 2 cents

Barth
06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Rented K40, P40 and P9.
P9 very light and manageable. Good groupings.
P40 heavy recoil.
K40 SWEET!!!

Bought MK40 Elite W/Night Sights. Added Stainless Guide Rod.
Carry in DeSantis Super Fly with Galco belt.
Loaded full of Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 180 grain hollow points.

It is a heavy chunk of stainless in the pocket and requires a reinforced belt to pull off.
Still, I can carry it all day long in Florida just fine.

Speedy
07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
MK9 fits great in a cargo or jean front pocket.
Weight is not an issue (unless your going jogging or something out of the ordinary).
Use a good belt.

TO help eliminate the BULGE, i bought some iron on patches from walmart and put them on the inside of my shorts and jeans. It eliminates printing of the handle and helps smooth out that bulge so its not so box-y looking.

jocko
07-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I use the same iron on patches for the font of my pants to, never thought of it for a gun though?????????? Itr does a fair job of smoothing out my buldge to, It can't do miracles:w00t:

JFootin
07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Good idea Speedy, and jocko! :86: