PDA

View Full Version : 1911 or not?

MichSteve
06-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I have been looking at 1911, mostly Springfield's and the new Ruger SR1911, I have shot a 1911 a couple of times. The triggers are nice compared to DA or Striker fired.

Here is my question, I have a PM9 and really do shoot it well as compared to my other guns, so the DA trigger is familiar to me, will I notice the 1911 to be that much better for accuracy say compared to a Kahr TP45 or P45?

Bawanna
06-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Without doubt you'll notice, but it's not a fair comparison. For accuracy the 1911 has everything going for it, short crisp pull, larger gun even in the smallest compact.
So it's not a fair comparison.

If you plan to carry the 1911 versus owning it strictly as a range gun (which is perfectly fine and dandy) then you need to train yourself that operating system and learn to transition from your Kahr to the 1911.
It works fine for me, I have a 1911 on my hip and a PM45 on my ankle but for some it's not an easy thing.

I've often felt that a person should stick 1911 100% or not at all but I've found with adhering to proper safety mostly keeping ones finger off the trigger it's not a difficult thing to do. One of course never knows until they go thru the operation with a couple gallons of adrenaline flowing thru your veins, that is the ultimate test as to weather you got it right or not.

You should get one anyhow, everyone should have at least one.

recoilguy
06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
What Bawanna said......

you will notice, the comparison is not completely fair, you will like shooting the 1911.

RCG

O'Dell
06-22-2011, 04:39 PM
You will like it, guaranteed. My 1911's range from 22 ozs for the STI to 30 ozs for the light weight FS Springfield. They're still considerably heavier and a lot larger than the PM, so they are easy to shoot well. Plus, there's that trigger. JMB really got the ergo's right with this pistol.

TheTman
06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
YEAH! What Bawanna said! I mostly use my 1911 for home defense and target practice, but no way would I consider trading it off. Mines a plain jane Springfield, in stainless steel. Very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Need to get those little nub they call sights replaced with something decent. I don't like it for Concealed Carry anymore, I prefer the more forgiving trigger of the Kahr.

jocko
06-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I have been looking at 1911, mostly Springfield's and the new Ruger SR1911, I have shot a 1911 a couple of times. The triggers are nice compared to DA or Striker fired.

Here is my question, I have a PM9 and really do shoot it well as compared to my other guns, so the DA trigger is familiar to me, will I notice the 1911 to be that much better for accuracy say compared to a Kahr TP45 or P45?

i THINK YOU WILL SHOOT A 1911 BETTER THAN ANY KAHR due tothe trigger systems..

knkali
06-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Without doubt you'll notice, but it's not a fair comparison. For accuracy the 1911 has everything going for it, short crisp pull, larger gun even in the smallest compact.
So it's not a fair comparison.

If you plan to carry the 1911 versus owning it strictly as a range gun (which is perfectly fine and dandy) then you need to train yourself that operating system and learn to transition from your Kahr to the 1911.
It works fine for me, I have a 1911 on my hip and a PM45 on my ankle but for some it's not an easy thing.

I've often felt that a person should stick 1911 100% or not at all but I've found with adhering to proper safety mostly keeping ones finger off the trigger it's not a difficult thing to do. One of course never knows until they go thru the operation with a couple gallons of adrenaline flowing thru your veins, that is the ultimate test as to weather you got it right or not.

You should get one anyhow, everyone should have at least one.

what he said. Man u carry one on your hip. how long have you done that? Lot a gun to carry as you know.

knkali
06-22-2011, 06:44 PM
i THINK YOU WILL SHOOT A 1911 BETTER THAN ANY KAHR due tothe trigger systems..

agreed. shot my new p40 for 3 days then went to the 1911. Best I ever shot it. I think the P40 made the 1911 trigger feel effortless. Loooove my Kimber TLE II

How do I multiple quote in a reply?

earle8888
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Well! I have difficulty swapping between 1911 and Kahr. The trigger/ thus the muscle memory is soooooo different that this old dog has to shoot each one every time I go to the range or the one I didn't shoot suffers, greatly.
Problem, I like um both!

Bill K
06-22-2011, 07:10 PM
I don't own a 1911 but I have shot a number of them. I've done my best "range" handgun shooting with 1911s. One full size Kimber in particular but I forget which model. In a SD situation where I'm likely to benefit from a quick draw and point shooting I feel I give up nothing to the 1911 vs. my PM9 or Glock 26. My opinion of course might change if I owned and spent more time with the 1911.

bonjorno2
06-22-2011, 07:12 PM
1911 all the way

Bawanna
06-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Well! I have difficulty swapping between 1911 and Kahr. The trigger/ thus the muscle memory is soooooo different that this old dog has to shoot each one every time I go to the range or the one I didn't shoot suffers, greatly.
Problem, I like um both!

Whatever else I plan to do when I get to the range I start out shooting what I carry. Empty the Cbob, empty the PM45, reload fresh carry fodder brought for the purpose and then move on to whatever else I want to play with.
Sometimes putting the Cbob down and working the PM45 can be enlightening.

Each on it's own is pretty darn nice but side by side there really is no comparison. The kahr is a great trigger for its intended purpose but it ain't gonna run with a 1911, nor do I expect it to.

wayneo1
06-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I find that the MK9 causes me to shoot the 1911 better. I think its got to do with the way the kahr trigger breaks. I find myself really concetrating on the kahr trigger when I shoot it and that seems to carry over to the 1911. I like them both and like bawanna said I think you can do both.

Joe L
06-22-2011, 08:43 PM
I didn't have a 1911 until last Friday afternoon. I have a CM9, PM40, P226 in 9/40/357SIG and P239. The SIGs have 3.5-4lb triggers in SA mode. The Desert Eagle 1911 I got for Father's Day is the first 1911 I've ever shot. After 30 rounds, I was already shooting it more accurately than all the others. At 50-75 yards on steel silhouettes, the difference was very evident. It's due to the light trigger, long sight radius, and tighter fitup for the DE1911 compared to the service/SD pistols.

So now I have 3 triggers and trigger modes to master--the Kahr DAO, the SIG SRT DA/SA, and the 1911's SAO. But I smile every time I shoot any of the pistols! So I will adapt. I think shooting the Kahrs DAO is the hardest to master, but I am getting there. The DA first shot of the SIGs is the next in difficulty, then the SA SIG and the incredible (to me) 3.5# 1911.

I didn't think there would be as much difference in the 1911 and my service pistols. You get accuracy out of this world with a tight 1911. What you don't get is as reliable operation of the slide locks and magazines. The original position of the slide lock is hit by the nose of some modern bullets. Trimming the slide lock lever too much can result in misses by the magazine follower. Depends on the slide lever geometry, magazine, and ammo. Even the little Kahrs appear to me to have more tolerance between bullet nose clearance and mag follower contact. I'm learning, and its only been a few days with the 1911. And 500 rounds as of tonight.

Joe

knkali
06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
enjoy the force Joe

TucsonMTB
06-22-2011, 10:15 PM
The Desert Eagle 1911 I got for Father's Day is the first 1911 I've ever shot. After 30 rounds, I was already shooting it more accurately than all the others. . . . the incredible (to me) 3.5# 1911 [trigger].

Amen, brother! Welcome to the fold. ;)