PDA

View Full Version : Lead Free Ammo

Rightwing
06-29-2011, 06:10 AM
I have a Kahr P380 and plan to spend some time in an indoor range and I am considering using lead free bullets and primers. Does anyone on this forum have good experienc with a particular brand of lead free ammo in their Kahr's?

Dietrich
06-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Not in my Kahr but I once owned a Bersa .380 and shot quite a bit of Corbon DPX in it.Great round with flawless performance.It was my first experience with the all copper bullet and I was very impressed.Only downside was it ain`t cheap.

Bill K
06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Welcome to KahrTalk!

The CORBON DPX .380 bullets are all copper and come in both 80 and 90 grain. It is however SD/HD ammo, not range ammo, and is rather expensive. I'm clueless about lead free primers, never knew they were leaded in the first place.

Rightwing
06-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I've heard great things about the Corbon ammo. I was thinking more along the lines of range ammo, like Winchester Winclean or Remmington UMC green. I haven't tried to run either of these loads through my p380. I was hoping there might be a "premium" lead free range ammo?

Doctorbob
07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Check out cheaperthandirt.com and type TMJ in the search bar then look at the .380 choices. Total Metal Jacket completely covers the lead bullet so there is no lead vaporization and its primer is not toxic.

also look for IRT (Indoor Range TRaining) ammo for similar. The cost of Lawman TMJ is about the same as Wal-Mart (per round) Winchester white box.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SearchResults.aspx?catid=646&site=All+Products&num=15&q=tmj

TominCA
07-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Most people who are concerned about the lead at a firing range use TMJ ammo. For the price its about your best bet to limit lead exposure. There are three things that cause exposure:

1- hot gas on the exposed lead on the base of the bullet as it travels down the barrel vaporizes some lead.

2- When a lead bullet impacts on the steel backdrop more lead is vaporized.

3 - Many primers contain lead because the lead free primers aren't all that reliable. I believe that all combat ammo ( copper bullets) have lead containing primers because the ignition must be reliable.

If you use "Green" ammo which is TMJ bullets plus lead free primers everything should be fine.

A properly designed range has the air moving towards the targets and filters on the exhaust to catch most of the lead. A shooter at the range station should have only a little exposure from the primers. If you shoot once a week or so for an hour or two even a poorly designed range should not raise your lead levels noticeably.

Range employees who clean the range and change filters should have respiratory protection, training and be taught how to clean their hands and clothing. High levels of lead can be serious but they are also treatable.