PDA

View Full Version : concealed carry "whoopsies"

zena
12-20-2009, 06:49 AM
I was just reading through LaVere's thread and it made me think of the couple of times my gun might have "peaked" out from concealed. My most recent one was last week in the mall. I stopped in the Food Court for a slice of great Italian North End pizza....and as I was putting my bulky winter coat back on, you know, struggling into the sleeves, I realized my sweater had ridden up and was propped nicely on the butt of my PM9. (I wear appendix position tucked.) As I nonchalantly pulled my sweater down I scanned the crowd and didn't see any eyes on me. And no one screamed "Gun!" ,thank God, but it did get my attention. To move along. How about you guys? Any stories?

medezyner
12-20-2009, 09:38 AM
This summer I had reached to an upper shelf in an autoparts store and didn’t realize my t-shirt had rode up onto the butt. It didn’t seem it at first, but obviously that t-shirt was too short and is now in the rag pile. I take the word concealed very seriously, so after looking around for terrified expressions and screams of horror and seeing none, I gave myself a good dope slap. Learning from mistakes.

jocko
12-20-2009, 09:59 AM
that another reason why I pocket carry my PM9...

ltxi
12-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Somehow I don't see most folks in New Hampshire panicking at the sight of a (accidentally not) concealed handgun.

wyntrout
12-20-2009, 12:09 PM
that another reason why I pocket carry my PM9...

Jocko, did you ever have a woman ask you if that was a gun in your pocket, or were you just excited to see her?:D
Wynn

medezyner
12-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Somehow I don't see most folks in New Hampshire panicking at the sight of a (accidentally not) concealed handgun.

The ones getting excited are Lib imports from the communist state of Massachusetts. My ccw friends in MA are happy to ship them north.

ltxi
12-20-2009, 03:22 PM
The ones getting excited are Lib imports from the communist state of Massachusetts. My ccw friends in MA are happy to ship them north.

I hear that.....wasn't nearly as bad as I hear it is now when I lived there....or when I even visited last.

medezyner
12-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Ya, its pretty bad there. The attorney general has deliberately whipped up ridiculous and unnecessary safety device requirements for handguns in order to make it difficult to obtain them. Some manufacturers have refused to spend any R&D dollars to change/modify their design. Hats off to Kahr, they stepped up and developed a MA compliant version of the PM9. Yes, they will gain market share, but probably not enough to offset the pain.

faulty
12-22-2009, 03:31 PM
medezyner,

I am curious as to what safety devices are required by Mass.

Thanks.

ltxi
12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Ya, its pretty bad there. The attorney general has deliberately whipped up ridiculous and unnecessary safety device requirements for handguns in order to make it difficult to obtain them. Some manufacturers have refused to spend any R&D dollars to change/modify their design. Hats off to Kahr, they stepped up and developed a MA compliant version of the PM9. Yes, they will gain market share, but probably not enough to offset the pain.

I lived in NH. Worked in Mass but consciously chose not to live there even then; commuted. Did manage to maintain a carry permit in both states, though.

medezyner
12-23-2009, 07:09 AM
medezyner,

They all must have: 10 lb trigger pull in double action mode, load indicator, key activated trigger lock. There are other requirements I cant recall. With all the safety features incorporated into a Colt 1911A1 it does not pass the MA certification. That did not sit well with a MA friend who has been longing for a Colt for years. S&W and Para Ord both have MA certified 1911 style pistols. I'm happy to have escaped out of that communist state and living in the "Live Free or Die" state. Now, if only we could export some of the Brady Bunch back into Mass!

Dietrich
12-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I was at a party over the Thanksgiving weekend and a slightly intoxicated woman hugged me rather inappropriately.Before she could make an issue out of the bulge she felt,I feigned a pained look and said something about a back brace.She bought it,slurring that she would have to get on top.We laughed and that was that.Whew!Ain`t got no business with no horny drunk woman.
When I was younger,yessiree buddy,but not now.

jocko
12-25-2009, 03:51 PM
They all must have: 10 lb trigger pull in double action mode, load indicator, key activated trigger lock. There are other requirements I cant recall. With all the safety features incorporated into a Colt 1911A1 it does not pass the MA certification. That did not sit well with a MA friend who has been longing for a Colt for years. S&W and Para Ord both have MA certified 1911 style pistols. I'm happy to have escaped out of that communist state and living in the "Live Free or Die" state. Now, if only we could export some of the Brady Bunch back into Mass!

don't think kahrs New PM9 massachusetts legal has key activated trigger lock and I don't think they have a 10# striker in them either. that I will check out.

tv_racin_fan
01-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Being in GA and GA being a open carry with permit state I don't worry about whoopsies. Just the same I recently bought a couple of shirts without trying them on or in fact looking all that closely at them, I got them for hunting (insulated flannel). They are a bit short tho and I frequently find my handgun poking out from under them. Generally I carry a Kahr K9 in a Bianchi 6 ATB holster clipped in my pocket. Took the wife to the bank and Goodwill yesterday and I found myself fiddgetting with the holster quite a bit.

Price
01-16-2010, 12:14 AM
I used to be jealous of some folks in other states, especially some of those down south and out west that seem to have a lot more sense when it comes to these kind of laws, but after hearing from some of you guys up in the northeast I guess Ohio isn't too bad

Raoul
01-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Took the wife to the bank and Goodwill yesterday and I found myself fiddgetting with the holster quite a bit.

Seems like that could be hazardous to one's health. :D

ripley16
01-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Any stories?

Sometime in the late '70s, when I carried a snubnose revolver in an ankle holster, as I was walking through a mall, a kid walked up to me and asked if I was a cop. DOOH!!! :( I think I was made.

Years later, prior to my finding a quality pocket holster for my Seecamp, I would occationally use a cheap clip on. One day as I was walking through a local "big box" store the gun fell out of the holster, slid down my leg onto the floor, where I promptly kicked it across the floor about 15 feet. DOOH! :o I don't think anyone saw it or knew what I dropped.

A couple years ago, while out with my wife shopping, I reached for some box on a high shelf, apparently exposing my gun. As I brought the box down so my wife could look at it I noticed a guy staring at me with wide open eyes and his mouth open. :eek: He saw it. DOOH!

I did pull a gun once, and got the same reaction...but that time it wasn't an accident. ;)

Those are the only ones I know of, but in 34 years I'm positive there have been others.

tv_racin_fan
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Seems like that could be hazardous to one's health. :D

In my defence, at the bank I sat down right fast to stop the fiddgeting.

Speaking of whoopsies. Some years ago the wife carried a nice little Charter Arms 357 in an uncle mikes sidekick hip holster in her purse.One day at the grocer she needed to find that elusive checkbook and that big ole revolver was in the way and without thinking she just plopped it out on the counter and kept on lookin for the checkbook. She said what made her realize what she had done was the reaction of the clerk... Wish I had been there to see that one.

My son and I have done the Wally World walk with our handguns open carried without much reaction. Once at the local grocer I was reaching for my wallet and happened to glance over and see the clerk at the next register looking at my handgun sticking out of my front pocket.

wyntrout
01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow! Some of these would be terrific America's Funniest Videos if you had the surveillance tape or such. Ripley's drop kick is one I've worried about! And reaching up for stuff is always a concern.:eek:
I watched the last third or so of 16 Blocks again last night. The scene where one guy sees Bruce's gun on the bus and hollers "He's got a gun!" -- instant panic. That's what I dread hearing sometime... especially when I have to wait in the bar area of a restaurant for an open table. My CCW course instructor related a story about that, where a waitress was trying to get by him and put out her hand... on his concealed weapon! "You've got a gun!!" He replied that he was one of the good guys and beat a hasty retreat/exit.
While you can go to a restaurant while carrying, you must stay out of the "Bar" area. I think that we're allowed to have alcohol with our meals in restaurants, but we're responsible for our actions should we get tipsy and do something stupid. You still have a right to protect yourself when drunk, but your reasoning can be really impaired, and if you really need to protect yourself, you might be too impaired to respond/react suitably. Any actions you take while even a little alcohol is in your system will be damning in court.:blah::typing::2rolleyes:
Wynn:rolleyes:

ripley16
01-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Wow! Some of these would be terrific America's Funniest Videos if you had the surveillance tape or such. Ripley's drop kick is one I've worried about!

The lesson there is; Never, not ever...never invest in cheap, soft, floppy holsters. :o

wyntrout
01-18-2010, 01:09 PM
The lesson there is; Never, not ever...never invest in cheap, soft, floppy holsters. :o

Right, Ripley. I've certainly learned that here and in practice.

To change the subject just a tad -- does this look like a good idea!?:eek:

Wynn:D

swampman
01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Right, Ripley. I've certainly learned that here and in practice.

To change the subject just a tad -- does this look like a good idea!?:eek:

thats a picture of my D'uncle:D

ltxi
01-18-2010, 07:43 PM
thats a picture of my D'uncle:D

I need to get me one of them there tattoos....at my age I need all the help I can get.

peterj
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Last summer my girlfriend and I were shopping in a local pet store. I bent over, shirt rode up and accidentially exposed my gun. I quickly pulled my shirt back down over it. A young girl was behind the counter and she went to the back room and apparently called the police. The next thing I knew a police officer walked into the store, walked by me, made eye contact and started looking at reptiles about 15 feet away. Nothing was said. We continued to talk about pets with the store owner for another 5 minutes or so and then casually left.

I felt bad because I saw the young girl hiding out in the back room and she was obviously quite scared at the sight of a gun.

PaiN
01-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Here in CT...there is no law against open carry, its really more of a social taboo. This is 100% my own personal opinion...I prefer to carry my gun concealed. On the other hand if on the off chance it becomes exposed and made.....well, too damn bad :) I would politely tell whomever might be having an "issue" that it is completely legal and I am licensed to carry it.
End of conversation.

recoilguy
01-25-2010, 07:34 AM
I was leaving church the other Sunday and a guy ran up to me and said "Sorry man I hope you aren't freaked out" I said what are you talking about. He says I went to kneel and I saw you look at my gun.

told him I never saw his gun but that I was going to the range tomorrow and if he wanted to come I think it would be very cool. He asked if I had a gun on too.......to which I replied always carry , never tell. We have been to the range 3 times now and I have shot all of his weapons and he miine. Excellent!

RCG

jeep45238
01-25-2010, 07:55 AM
This happened 9/27/2007

I live in a low crime portion of south western Cincinnati, and I like living here.

I was working on my speech, and decided to take a well deserved break and take a walk around the neighborhood. Yes, it was late at night, but I had done it many times before without thinking or conflict about it.

Tonight I was glad I was prepared. I was about 1/3 of the way though and got thirsty, and stopped in to SpeedWay to get a bottle of water. On the way out and about 1/2 a block away is a bus stop, and a guy sitting there waiting and on his phone.

This is unusual for 2 reasons: No bus goes on that route at night. He has 3 bags with him, and looks to be in his early 20's and out of school, and did NOT look like the kind pursuing a future outside of the streets.

Walking on the other side wasn't much of an option, I didn't see him until I was within 10' of him due to the landscaping in the grass where he was waiting. As soon as I passed, he asked to "holla at me quick". I don't know what that means, but I simply said "no sir." He stood up and started following me asking me what my problem was and if I was "goin to a patay o sumfin".

By this point I had been able to keep 15 feet easily from him, and he started to pick up the pace towards me after I had told him to back off and walk away multiple times. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he wasn't happy and started walking extremely fast and put his hand in his pocket.

This is the first time since carrying (or before, actually) that I've had anything like this happen. I put my hand on my grip and told him to walk away unless he wants to discover I don't play games. He turned and ran, way way past the bags where he was sitting before.

Thankfully I didn't have to shoot anybody, or even draw. But damn was I glad to have a gun on me tonight.

My whoopsies:
1) needed to be more situationally aware
2) there is a time for talking and a time for drawing - I was talking and hadn't drawn
3) hand on the grip doesn't mean squat, actually taking action and following through does
4) i needed more training

TxKahr
01-27-2010, 06:28 PM
medezyner,

Thanks.

The new Kahr PM9s have an external safety, a top of slide loaded chamber indicator and very large words printed on the top of the slide.

http://www.kahr.com/imgs/mdtl_pm9193.jpg

wyntrout
01-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Wait, the PC crowd will want the warning in more languages and the loaded indicator to be more visible... as a small flashing red light. And what about the hazardous to your health warnings... as on cigarettes... and condoms! And what if you want the blackened slide... out of luck... or white lettering?
Wynn:rolleyes:

TxKahr
01-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Based on the other guns I have handled, I think the safety is backwards. It would be easier to operate if you flipped it down to fire, instead of up. Maybe the direction of the safety was in the MA rules, as well.

TxKahr

recoilguy
01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Is that giant ugly saftey billboard going to appear on all the guns or just the ones supplied to Mass. because That is unappealing and would weigh heavy against the gun if I were buying.

RCG

Price
01-28-2010, 08:11 AM
I hope that is just for the MA guns, and I thought the same thing about the safety, Im not a fan of external safeties anyway but that one seems upside down to me too.

wyntrout
01-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Well, I wonder if people are going to buy those "things", or are they going to "circumvent" the law and procure regular (good-looking Kahrs) elsewhere, somehow. I sure wouldn't buy something like that. OMG! That's the idea!:eek:

Another thought -- If the safety is not slide dependent, you could acquire another slide, but there's a big expense.

johnatw
01-28-2010, 08:57 AM
The safety does seem to be backwards. Why not just leave the safety off and carry like the rest of grownups on this forum??????

Price
01-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm not at all familiar with MA law, does the gun have to meet these requirements to sell it in MA or are those the only ones that a gun owner can have in MA? If it's just the selling then I would imagine many MA gun owners just take a roadtrip when they are ready to purchase a new one. I know I would.

jwr
01-30-2010, 12:19 PM
The safety does seem to be backwards. Why not just leave the safety off and carry like the rest of grownups on this forum??????
It looks like the Walther-type safety. They're like that on the PPK/S, the P22, etc. I have guns with both the Walther type and the 1911 type. I prefer the 1911 type but regularly shoot guns with both.

In regards to external safeties in general I don't see the need on a DA carry weapon like the Kahr, but if I was using it for home defense I wouldn't mind having one.

This is something I posted in another forum:

"I keep several guns loaded and hidden around the house. We have no young children and on the occasions when we do have kids over *and* I know they're coming--I'll remove the gun(s) from those rooms. Please note that the guns are hidden quite well and would not be easily accessible to kids even if they knew where they were, but having raised three kids I know how quickly they can do the unexpected.

On some occasions folks with kids will drop by when I'm not home though, and recently my wife--knowing that I kept the XD in the living area, asked me to move it to the bedroom and to put my Commander, cocked & locked, in the living area. Her thought was that if, heaven forbid, some child managed to grab the Commander the child would have a much harder time disengaging the thumb safety, depressing the grip safety, and pulling the trigger then they would just depressing the grip safety and pulling the trigger on the XD. Made sense to me--especially since she's equally comfortable firing both guns."

So for carry I don't think they're necessary, but I don't think they're evil either. And yes, I understand that we should do everything in our power to keep guns away from children, at the same time I know that sometimes the unexpected happens.

Bawanna
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Knowledge is power. Take away the curiousity factor and kids won't be so anxious to play with guns they don't know about. Of couse we can't do much for other peoples kids to show them guns and how they work but I make every effort to get to most. Got into a verbal with a guy at the range a few weeks ago, he was appalled that a guy had his 8 and 10 year old kids there teaching them to shoot. Horrible parent, I told him I agreed, they should have been taught 5 years ago, lousey parent!!! The verbal jousting began. Anyhow I"m way off course as usual but I got a real soft spot for kids and new shooters.

Peace / Out:hippie:

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Amen on teaching the kids early. It would have taken a very secure safe to keep me out of stuff as a kid. I was very curious... especially about the forbidden. History has shown that most people are not content with the "do as I say, not as I do...." policy and "inquiring minds want to know...." It's kind of like sex, but with more drastic consequences possible.:(
Wynn

jwr
01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Knowledge is power. Take away the curiousity factor and kids won't be so anxious to play with guns they don't know about.
I totally agree! I started learning gun safety at 5 with a bb-gun. My dad would regularly take me to the range to shoot .22's, and I got my first one at age 8--a single-shot lever action rifle. All us kids knew how to properly handle firearms at a very young age.

I started my kids off about the same age, and even though my adult daughters have no interest in shooting--they are comfortable around firearms, and know firearm safety.

It's saddens me to see some of my friends who are married to wonderful women who just happen to be truly terrified to have guns anywhere in the house--even unloaded and locked away.

jeep45238
01-31-2010, 12:36 PM

Because if it goes on while carrying and you don't train with it, then you have a nice paperweight if you ever need to use it in self defense.

Remove it, or train with it instead ;)

Bawanna
01-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Amen on teaching the kids early. It would have taken a very secure safe to keep me out of stuff as a kid. I was very curious... especially about the forbidden. History has shown that most people are not content with the "do as I say, not as I do...." policy and "inquiring minds want to know...." It's kind of like sex, but with more drastic consequences possible.:(
Wynn

My avatar (why do they call it an avatar anyhow?) is my oldest son who at the risk of publicly acknowledging my old age is now 25. He couldn't walk in this photo but he was learning his way around a Ruger 44 mag. I have a picture somewhere of the day we brought him home. Set him on the kitchen table and put a Colt Officers ACP in his lap. A pic I will cherish as long as I'm drawing air into my lungs.. Teach em young and they will be safe.
Guess I better go have a talk with him about sex now. It's time.
As jwr mentioned my daughter and youngest son aren't into guns quite as much but they both are comfortable. Don't want to force it on them either. Besides who could afford it.

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 03:10 PM
jwr Quote: "I totally agree! I started learning gun safety at 5 with a bb-gun. My dad would regularly take me to the range to shoot .22's, and I got my first one at age 8--a single-shot lever action rifle. All us kids knew how to properly handle firearms at a very young age."

Yeah, I remember safety with a BB gun as a kid... don't shoot anyone in the face... and watch out for BBs bouncing back at you, usually learned the hard way. We used to chase each other through the woods with BB guns... before paint guns were heard of. I was by myself once, when I heard a noise behind me. As I turned I barely got a glimpse as about three siblings and cousins -- male and female as they all shot me in the butt! That stung through my jeans.
Fortunately, we survived that and dirt clod wars. I certainly don't endorse that behavior, but we didn't know any better(?) and it was fun(?)! That little ambush certainly left an impression... in my memories, not physically.:D
Wynn

getsome
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
A safety is only there for the person the gun is pointed at...there was a case of a jewelry store robbery in my city not long ago...the store owner had a walther ppk/s in his back pocket and was not familiar with the pistol...He pulled it on the BG and snicked the safety on thinking that was off...Got him seriously shot!!! He was lucky and recovered but I bet he now knows how the safety works...I was always taught that the only safety needed was a well desciplined triger finger!!!:33:

jlottmc
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Well said on the young training. I got my first rifle for my first birthday and gotta say have loved firearms ever since. No I couldn't shoot it until I was 4 or 5 but it was there. My daughter is two and about to get her first rifle as well. As for the oops when carrying, well they happen, and can be most embarrassing, and in some cases attract LE curiosity. I keep pulling my shirt down anytime I move to a different position, half the time I don't realize that I do it.

jlottmc
04-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Dietrich, I hate to go to a family gathering, because everyone wants a hug, and puts their hand/arm at the small of my back. Some have even knocked my piece and had to readjust their hug. (I carry vertically in the small of my back, call it kidney-ish carry?). Love the family, hate the contact. The only good thing is that though many do not like weapons much less concealed carry, they understand that I do and will continue to do so, and they just keep their mouths shut.

OldLincoln
04-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Yesterday I sat in a soft-sink-into chair in the doctor's office. After about 15 minutes I noticed a man sitting 90 degrees to my right giving me that liberal look. Sure 'nuff I found my outer shirt had ridden up just enough to show a little of my IWB holster so I tugged it down and ignored him.

I also get a few looks wearing my long sleaved shirts out as the tails are longer in back than sides and it looks too casual. Before next winter I will buy some tall man long sleeved shirts and cut the tails square so they hang long but look nice.

wyntrout
04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I buy my Tees and Polos with pockets, long and short-sleeved 100% cotton ones in Large size, though I'm probably still a medium, but I need or want looseness and long. I've learned that the cheapies, even Van Heusen from Sam's Club will shrink in length and some even get wider if you dry them much... not a great combination. Eddie Bauer stuff like that, on sale, tends to be at least the size marked and doesn't shrink, while Land's End stuff seems on the small side and may shrink a bit. I've found a company call Duluth that makes 100% cotton Tees and Polos with extra length tails... advertised to stop Plumbers Crack. They are full and don't shrink, so I got Tees, Polos (long and short sleeves), all cotton with pockets, and now I've got some stuff I can depend on to cover my CCW gear and not ride up when reaching up for stuff. I buy that stuff on sale, too, or when you get lower prices for two or four or more shirts.
Duluth usually offers free shipping on orders of $50 or more, too. I like deals and sales... and quality.
I can't wait until the next garage sale to get rid of a bunch of those shrinking, widening shirts! I'm going to have to break down and buy some pants with more room for IWB carry, though. There's hardly enough room for me in some of my long pants... fortunately, I won't have to wear those for a long time now. The suspenders are working with my shorts pretty well. I don't have to look around and pull up my belt and shorts any more.

OldLincoln
04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I bought 6 pair of 5.11 covert pants originals which do not show seams for covert pockets. I got them on closeout from LA Police Gear at $18/pr. 5.11 has now changed the design to show the seams which to me makes them non-covert.

I also got 4 pair of PA Police covert denims that are lightweight and have perfect pockets. They have them on closeout currently but selection is getting limited.

Even if you didn't carry, they are really good pants.

As for summer shirts, my wife bought me 10 long T's that are thick enough to hang well. She found them on sale and she loves saving money! I don't ask what else she bought to save us even more!

wyntrout
04-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I really like 100% heavy-duty cotton tees with a large pocket and long tails. I bought four such Tees from Duluth the other day on sale for $13 each and with free shipping. They are perfect and don't shrink. I like polos like that to dress up a bit. I have room to grow as well.:p

jlottmc
04-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Well I had an oops moment Thursday. I got out of my truck and my shirt had ridden up and in between my multi-tool and me. Guess what was showing as well, the butt of my Ruger P345. Got half way across the parking lot before I realized. Fortunately, there were very few people there. Might have been seen from the tollway but I doubt it.

rholmes69
04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
A little bit of a thread jack, but here is a great deal on some CC jeans. Very limited offering of sizes thought. I think it is also only $1 for shipping, so 5 pairs of pants would be like $30 to your door.

Relaxed Fit Tactical Denim Jeans (http://www.graveyardmall.com/refittadeje.html)

Bawanna
04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
A little bit of a thread jack, but here is a great deal on some CC jeans. Very limited offering of sizes thought. I think it is also only $1 for shipping, so 5 pairs of pants would be like $30 to your door.

Relaxed Fit Tactical Denim Jeans (http://www.graveyardmall.com/refittadeje.html)

WoW some real value there for sure. Sadly they stopped about a foot short of my size. I know, I know, stop eating, start working.

AFVet
04-19-2010, 02:20 PM
The MA rules really curtail what an FFL can transfer to you. If it's not approved by both the AG and state, then it can't be transferred unless it was made before a certain date (forget exactly what date).

Now, on a face to face transfer, I can purchase/sell/posses things that aren't on the AG or state approved list, but as you can imagine, that is limited because the other end of the transaction had to move to MA with it since they can't get it through an FFL.

Oh, and I can tell you that the PM9 with the safety (proud owner of one myself) is extremely hot. They sell pretty darn quickly when you can even find one. I'm hoping Kahr does really well them too so that more manufacturers will jump through the MA wickets. I think it might payoff very well for them.

OldLincoln
04-20-2010, 05:39 PM
RE: Carry Levis. Another CC'r found his Levi pocket too short, so he had a seamstress sew an extension for about $10. The extension was heavier material to support the weight of the gun better. Just another option.

Natron
05-09-2010, 06:51 AM
i carry my P9 in an Mtac at 3 oclock. A few times my shirt may have rode up a little far in the car and upon getting out my son will say:

"Dad your gun is showing"

and I calmly readjust my shirt and give him a high five.
He doesnt say it too loud as he knows the drill.

Natron

Moto_joe
05-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I got a "man with a gun" call last year some time.

I had to go to a medical clinic...... cant recall why right now.

I was pocket carrying my .38spl. Sometime when I was in the waiting room, or on my way out of the waiting room, the handle must have peeked just enough for someone to recognize what it was.

As I sat in the examining room, two uniformed cops knocked on the door and entered. They said "we were called, told you have a gun on you...?" I replied "yes sir I do, it is in my front pocket (indicating to it with my eyes, but not moving my hands).

They retrieved it, but the holster stayed put in the pocket. I explained I had a GA firearms permit (what we call a CCW license), and was carrying legally.

He tried to inform me I was not legal. Said I cant carry in public buildings. I informed him this was a PRIVATE building, and that public buildings are those paid for by tax payers basically. He tried to farther make up reasons why I should not or could not carry it (I had to explain the laws to him every time) then asked why I carried it. I asked him why he carried his......... because the world is an F'd up place. He asked why I felt I needed it at a hospital. I pointed out how many times we hear in the news about some persons PPO or HMO denying them and shooting up a doctors office.

He asked me to put it in the truck. I agreed I would just so I could get on with my doctors visit. He started to walk out with the gun in his hand..... without the holster. I asked "do you want to holster that weapon?" He asked "Do you have one?" I had to respond that of course I do, it is the law in GA that it has to be properly holstered.

I gave him the holster. We walked to the truck. I locked it in my glove box.

He never did check my permit or ask for it or ID.

It was SCARY how clueless he was to my rights, and the laws I have to abide by to legally carry.

Bawanna
05-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I got a "man with a gun" call last year some time.

I had to go to a medical clinic...... cant recall why right now.

I was pocket carrying my .38spl. Sometime when I was in the waiting room, or on my way out of the waiting room, the handle must have peeked just enough for someone to recognize what it was.

As I sat in the examining room, two uniformed cops knocked on the door and entered. They said "we were called, told you have a gun on you...?" I replied "yes sir I do, it is in my front pocket (indicating to it with my eyes, but not moving my hands).

They retrieved it, but the holster stayed put in the pocket. I explained I had a GA firearms permit (what we call a CCW license), and was carrying legally.

He tried to inform me I was not legal. Said I cant carry in public buildings. I informed him this was a PRIVATE building, and that public buildings are those paid for by tax payers basically. He tried to farther make up reasons why I should not or could not carry it (I had to explain the laws to him every time) then asked why I carried it. I asked him why he carried his......... because the world is an F'd up place. He asked why I felt I needed it at a hospital. I pointed out how many times we hear in the news about some persons PPO or HMO denying them and shooting up a doctors office.

He asked me to put it in the truck. I agreed I would just so I could get on with my doctors visit. He started to walk out with the gun in his hand..... without the holster. I asked "do you want to holster that weapon?" He asked "Do you have one?" I had to respond that of course I do, it is the law in GA that it has to be properly holstered.

I gave him the holster. We walked to the truck. I locked it in my glove box.

He never did check my permit or ask for it or ID.

It was SCARY how clueless he was to my rights, and the laws I have to abide by to legally carry.

Sadly there are so many insane and ridiculous firearms laws that cops can't know them all or keep track of the changes. Truely most cops are not anti gun, some are. I have to straighten out our officers quite frequently for misconceptions. The laws are also ever changing so what is illegal today might be ok next week and so on. I had an officer bring in a shotgun he "seized" from a guy who had it in his pickup truck. There was another charge involved don't recall what it was, not a big deal. I asked why he seized it, he said I can't find a serial number. I told him the serial number is under a side saddle on the frame. He said the owner didn't have tools to remove it so he could check it for stolen so he siezed it. I told him I was aware of no law that requires you to carry tools to remove an add on option so the serial number can be seen. Asked what we should do. I told him to give it back to the guy, he shouldn't have taken it in the first place. Silly laws.

ltxi
05-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Great story Bwanna...I love it...just gotta wonder about some guys.

Also, I've "appropriated" most of your siggy....Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight he'll most likely just kill ya.....as a personal slogan. Hope you don't mind.

Bawanna
05-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Great story Bwanna...I love it...just gotta wonder about some guys.

Also, I've "appropriated" most of your siggy....Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight he'll most likely just kill ya.....as a personal slogan. Hope you don't mind.

Please feel free, it's worked for me for quite a spell. It's not my original quote of course so I'm not plagerizing or anything and can't call it my own, it just fits.

ltxi
05-15-2010, 08:55 PM
.......it just fits.

Oh, yeah....it certainly rings true for me. Kinda my same philosophy as when I was younger although this seems much more defensible :)

jlottmc
05-16-2010, 01:23 PM
MotoJoe, that kinda reminds me of the time I almost got arrested with my piece even though I was COMPLETELY legal. A few years ago my wife and I went to the State Fair, which in TX is at Fair Park (to call it a rough neighborhood insults bad neighborhoods everywhere). As TX law allows, I was carrying, and even though I had to log in at the gate (which is not covered here), we went to the Chevy test drive that was set up (just a little area to play with the new Chevy's that year), part of the requirements to do it however were to show DL and proof of insurance (required to drive here) and have a portable breath test done for alcohol. In TX when a peace officer asks for ID and you are carrying, you must show both (later amended for vehicles), your DL and CHL. My wife and I were the only two at this event, and she the off duty deputy and I got the off duty transit cop. When I was asked for my DL I showed both as I was required to do, and the transit cop looks at me and asks if I was carrying. I replied yes, and she starts looking at me funny and asks if I knew it was a public event (does not exist in statute here, and is NOT prohibited). As she reaches for her handcuffs and keeps looking to the deputy (DART police are subservient to ANY municipality), we went back and forth for about 5 minutes with me playing dumb. Finally the deputy says that Dallas PD was working the gate and if they let me in she guessed it was ok, and let us go through. I guess she finally realized that I was going to have a heck of a false arrest suit there though I had said nothing of it. I should also say that at the time I was in the City of Dallas' employment (and was in the area two weeks before) and knew the neighborhood well, and in fact was recognized on the way back out to my truck. I used to cut the water off for non-payment. I still think about that, and wonder how at least a basic understanding is not shared among LEO's.

Moto_joe
05-16-2010, 03:11 PM
A fair here in GA would be a gray area by the law.

It states we cant carry to "public gatherings" in code. But that is pretty vague. Case law has shown it to be interpreted as any place people gather to observe an event IE concert, race, sporting event, public speaking etc. A fair although not in of itself a public gathering then, has public gatherings taking place all over the grounds (concerts and shows)......

I am not positive what I would do. I am inclined to say take my chances though and carry. If I am found guilty it is a misdemeanor first offense. Worth the risk IMO.

jlottmc
05-16-2010, 04:04 PM
See we don't have that here, those two were well and truly wrong. Public gathering is not a problem here, amusement parks are, but Fair Park doesn't meet the definition. The only place I can't go at the fair is to the Ag competitions, and the football games. Since I could care less about those I'm good to go.

docbrazos
06-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Best story of late was a Army GI buddy was at Wally World the other day and a secuity type asked him to re-cover his semi-Not so concealed weapon. He thanked the Officer and re-coverd the weapon. Then proceeded to leave the area.
Figured it would be the best coarse of action since he doesn't posess a CCW Liscense!

Ammomma
06-22-2010, 11:05 AM
While putting my kid in the carseat in the center of the car, I reached too far and my shirt rose too high and my CW9, or any other on the hip holster would poke its nose out a little. No one has said anything yet, but I try to do it now on the left side of the car with the car door to my gunside, or wear a IWB holster.

hoytinak
05-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I know this is an older thread but I thought I'd share my stories. :)

I've got two very pleasant times...

First time I was in Allsups in Buna Vista buying beer of all things when appearently when I reached up on the top shelf to get my beer my shirt had found it's way on top of the grip on my USPc fully exposing the grip. While standing in line to pay I had some guy that was behind me reach over and pull my shirt back over it. He never said anything, all I said was "thanks", paid for the beer and walked out.

Second time I was pumping gas at the United in Fritch, with Terry Cox (Fritch's Cheif of Police) pumping gas right next to me. The wind was blowing a little, caught my shirt just right and exposed my P2000SK just long enough for him to see it. He just looked at me for a second, asked how I was doing and then walked over and asked if he could see my CHL and DL. I knew who he was so I slowly got my wallet out and handed them to him. He handed them right back and told me to have a nice day. We both finish pumping our gas and went along with our day.

Jaxon1023
06-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm surprised you didn't react to someone grabbing your shirt so close to your carry piece.

jimbar
06-27-2011, 10:15 PM
My daily carry is a CW9, and I keep it in a Bianchi Carry-Lock holster. It fits very flat against my side, as it is an OWB type, and there's very little printing.
I usually wear a tee shirt that covers, and conceals, but I know sometimes when bending over or reaching, the weapon is briefly exposed.
I live in Wa state where it is legal, although socially taboo, to open carry, so I don't worry if it is seen. Nobody has ever said anything if it has, in fact been seen, so I'll continue as usual until someone with a badge tells me it's not OK.

Barth
06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
My daily carry is a CW9, and I keep it in a Bianchi Carry-Lock holster. It fits very flat against my side, as it is an OWB type, and there's very little printing.
I usually wear a tee shirt that covers, and conceals, but I know sometimes when bending over or reaching, the weapon is briefly exposed.
I live in Wa state where it is legal, although socially taboo, to open carry, so I don't worry if it is seen. Nobody has ever said anything if it has, in fact been seen, so I'll continue as usual until someone with a badge tells me it's not OK.

I use to carry IWB. Even with a compact CZ 9 I would occasionally have
an uncomfortable conversation with a manager while out for dinner.
Sitting, or bending over, would sometimes be an issue. I'd flash my CWP, apologize and no troubles. Still that got real old and I switched to fanny packs. Eventually I moved on to pocket pistols and have "creatively" stayed there.

georgepittenger
06-28-2011, 07:34 PM

It states we cant carry to "public gatherings" in code. But that is pretty vague. Case law has shown it to be interpreted as any place people gather to observe an event IE concert, race, sporting event, public speaking etc. A fair although not in of itself a public gathering then, has public gatherings taking place all over the grounds (concerts and shows)......

I am not positive what I would do. I am inclined to say take my chances though and carry. If I am found guilty it is a misdemeanor first offense. Worth the risk IMO.

Well I don't see where u can't carry at " public gatherings " . Is that GA code or local code ? If state please post the reference . Thanks .

tv_racin_fan
12-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Well I don't see where u can't carry at " public gatherings " . Is that GA code or local code ? If state please post the reference . Thanks .

IT used to be GA code. That part has gone away in the last couple of years.

Speaking of opppsies tho. The wife and I recently went to the courthouse. We had thought about all the stuff we couldn't take but apparently the wife forgot about the knife she now carries in her purse. When we went thru the metal detector my overhauls beeped and the wife thought that I might have fogotten and worn my neck knife. Later that evening she remembered that her knife was in her purse... apparently the LEO never spotted it on the x ray display under all her ink pens... or found it when he took some stuff out of her purse.

kayl
12-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Speaking of whoopsies. Some years ago the wife carried a nice little Charter Arms 357 in an uncle mikes sidekick hip holster in her purse.One day at the grocer she needed to find that elusive checkbook and that big ole revolver was in the way and without thinking she just plopped it out on the counter and kept on lookin for the checkbook. She said what made her realize what she had done was the reaction of the clerk... Wish I had been there to see that one.

I can one-up that.

My FFL used to carry all the time even before CCW was legal for non-LEOs. He owns a business (not a gun store) and often carries lots of cash. He went to the bank to deposit some cash one day and couldn't find something in his pocket so he started to empty his pockets. Without thinking he laid down his snubbie on the the teller's desk!

Luckily the teller knew him and didn't hit the silent alarm!

MO_Soldier
12-16-2011, 09:13 AM

This raises a question. Who carries where they legally aren't allowed?
"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Best story of late was a Army GI buddy was at Wally World the other day and a secuity type asked him to re-cover his semi-Not so concealed weapon. He thanked the Officer and re-coverd the weapon. Then proceeded to leave the area.
Figured it would be the best coarse of action since he doesn't posess a CCW Liscense!

There's a good reason that I know of for that soldier to carry a concealed weapon, even without a CCW. Can't say details though...you know how it is.

I know this is an older thread but I thought I'd share my stories. :)

I've got two very pleasant times...

First time I was in Allsups in Buna Vista buying beer of all things when appearently when I reached up on the top shelf to get my beer my shirt had found it's way on top of the grip on my USPc fully exposing the grip. While standing in line to pay I had some guy that was behind me reach over and pull my shirt back over it. He never said anything, all I said was "thanks", paid for the beer and walked out.

I probably would have turned and drawn on the guy that did anything resembling grabbing my gun from me. After drawing I would have had a moment to realize my shirt wasn't covering when I drew and put 2 and 2 together, most likely apologizing as long as the "perp" didn't have a "busted" look on his face instead of an "oh sh!t" look haha