View Full Version : Advice on PM40

readingbill
07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Was just at my local gun shop/range to put another 100 rounds through my PM9 after 200 rounds last week on a break-in. I'm still amazed I can put that many rounds through the gun at one time, when my S&W 642 gets painful at 20.

Wouldn't you know, in the case was a consignment for a PM40 for $459. The guy brought it in because it was too much for him with recoil, etc., and the gun shop guy said people are scared off from the 40 in that small of a gun and only a 5+1 in a single stack.

I wanted to buy a box of .40s and give it a try, but because it was a consignment gun, the gun shop guy wouldn't let me test fire it.

I've shot 124 gr. +P Golden Sabres out of my PM9 and found them stout but not out of the question.

So, anyone with a PM40, what do you think? I read a couple of posts that the recoil isn't much worse than +P 9mm. What do you think of the price?

I was surprised to see that Kahr in the case. I guess it's like when you buy a green VW, all you start seeing is green VWs everywhere.

Thanks for the input.
Bill

Barth
07-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Was just at my local gun shop/range to put another 100 rounds through my PM9 after 200 rounds last week on a break-in. I'm still amazed I can put that many rounds through the gun at one time, when my S&W 642 gets painful at 20.

Wouldn't you know, in the case was a consignment for a PM40 for $459. The guy brought it in because it was too much for him with recoil, etc., and the gun shop guy said people are scared off from the 40 in that small of a gun and only a 5+1 in a single stack.

I wanted to buy a box of .40s and give it a try, but because it was a consignment gun, the gun shop guy wouldn't let me test fire it.

I've shot 124 gr. +P Golden Sabres out of my PM9 and found them stout but not out of the question.

So, anyone with a PM40, what do you think? I read a couple of posts that the recoil isn't much worse than +P 9mm. What do you think of the price?

I was surprised to see that Kahr in the case. I guess it's like when you buy a green VW, all you start seeing is green VWs everywhere.

Thanks for the input.
Bill

I'm going to get the heat for this but here goes -
I was lucky enough to have a range that rented Kahrs.
I rented a P40, K40 and a P9.
The P9, although light, was easy and surprisingly pleasant to run 50 rounds through. The K40 had more recoil but still no troubles with 100 rounds.

Unfortunately, I found the P40 to be painful with just one mag.
Very much like my air weight J-frame 342 38. I shot a friends polymer Walther 40 with the same result. Just like my 38, it's great to carry but no fun to shoot.

I bought the MK40 Elite and carry it on the weekends.
Almost got the PM9 but wanted a 40. As for P vs PM and K vs MK; the recoil feels the same to me.

Just my opinion for what it's worth...

allglock
07-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I have a PM40, and have no problems shooting it. I am pretty old too.

TucsonMTB
07-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the input.
Bill
Hey Bill!

I enjoy a smooth shooting 1911 as much as the next guy. But, for me, the really smooth heavier small caliber pistols are boring. That means both of my PM40's are just great, for me. However, I am not you.

Based on your comments, recoil is not pleasant for you. If that's true, a PM40 may not be a great choice, especially since you already have a good running 9mm.

Yes, that price is a great bargain, but unless you are likely to enjoy shooting it, bargains really don't matter.

Best of luck!

Joe L
07-09-2011, 03:25 PM
My PM40 is definitely more to handle than my CM9 but not "bad". I have shot a box or two at a time with it many times.

Barth
07-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Recoil is subjective.
As usual, this is one thing only you can decide.
My best recommendation is rent something of similar weight/caliber.
I.E. Walther PPS 40S&W.

Take care.

Suthrncop66
07-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I carry my Pm40 everywhere....It is a handful to shoot but not painful, just a little harder to manage on quicker followups.....If you are looking for something just to shoot I would stick with the 9..If you are looking for a sd to carry then I would pick up the 40...just my opinion....I don't regularly shoot for fun, my guns are strictly for self defense (tools of the trade) I enjoy shooting sometimes but don't really have as much time as I would like....even with a free range and free ammo, I still don't get out as much as I would like unless it is for training or putting myself through some drills..The 40 is manageable, and not painful to me.....I think I will head to the range this week....

readingbill
07-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks all for the input.

I might just have a combined case of Kahr and caliber fever. I really like the PM9 so far, and when I saw that unwanted PM40 - not even cleaned - at a fairly decent price, I got to thinking hard about it.

I would definitely be carrying it, as I switch between the PM9 and the 642.

Bill

yqtszhj
07-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I'd get it if the price was right. but I'm crazy too my wife say's

Barth
07-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks all for the input.

I might just have a combined case of Kahr and caliber fever. I really like the PM9 so far, and when I saw that unwanted PM40 - not even cleaned - at a fairly decent price, I got to thinking hard about it.

I would definitely be carrying it, as I switch between the PM9 and the 642.

Bill

LOL - Join the club!
I switch between the MK40 and the S&W 342 ti.
(But also have a 44 629 Mountain Gun, 45 P220 and 357 P239)

readingbill
07-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Barth,

That 342 must be a handful!

Barth
07-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Barth,

That 342 must be a handful!

Hi Bill,
It's actually very accurate and controllable for an 11 oz +P gun.
Just no fun to shoot (for me). But at 13 oz fully loaded, with 135 grain Speer +P Short Barrel, it's a dream to carry.

BTW I was itching to buy another gun and upgraded my 342 instead.
XS Systems Big Dot front sight, stainless steel trigger and a trigger job.
Now it's really SWEET!

(I highly recommend the XS Big Dot)

readingbill
07-10-2011, 06:37 AM
Those sound like great mods.
I had a trigger job done on my 642, smoothing it out, but I can't shoot it as accurately as I can the PM9.
I've been thinking about a Big Dot on the PM9.

mudfish
07-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Current PM40 owner. Previously owned a P9. The PM40 is a little bit snappier, sure, but it's still easy to shoot compared to the lightweight carry revolvers in 38/357, and accuracy is no comparison.

Agreed, the PM40 isn't a great range gun, but I have no problem firing 200 rounds in a session.

readingbill
07-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Mudfish,

I've been reading about problems earlier PM40s had - breaking magazine followers, several trips back to Kahr, etc.

How has yours been?

I'd have to check out the serial number on the used one to see when it was made. If I get it used, I wouldn't have the warranty.

Thanks for your response,
Bill

mudfish
07-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Mine new PM40 has been perfect, just like my old P9 was.

ExInt
07-11-2011, 05:25 AM
PM40 recoil is not that bad. Before I bought mine I went to the range and rented a PM9, PM40 and 642 plus a box of 50 for each. Got half way thru the 642/38 specials, that's just brutal. Emptied the other 2 boxes. I thought the 40 would be worse. Follow up shots are a bit slower that with the PM9 but not that much and the fire power is much greater. Now I routinely put 50 rounds thru the 40 at a time.

readingbill
07-11-2011, 08:04 AM
That's been my experience with the 642, too. I like the way it carries, but I end up not shooting it enough to get better with it. I put another 100 through the PM9 on Saturday, and the accuracy and comfort are at such a higher level.

garyb
07-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Great price for a great, accurate, pleasant shooting gun and caliber. However, whenever possible you should shoot any gun first to be certain it is for you. It is an individual preference and if you are worried about it, you should assess it first.

I love my PM40. I don't understand what all the hugabaloo is about the recoil/flip, because it is a real pleasure to shoot. Like any new gun, once you get used to it, you'll find it returns to the target like a machine. Honestly a non issue. It is hard to beat this great little 'sd package' for lots of reasons and if you get it, you will soon see why. Nice price if it is reliable....so shoot it! Good luck.

jlottmc
07-11-2011, 10:02 AM
What he said^^^^. If I was local, and had the cash in my pocket, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

TheTman
07-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Go shoot a .44 mag with heavy SD loads, then try the PM40. I bet the recoil won't seem too bad then, LOL

earle8888
07-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Have found with my PM40 the sound and flash seem harsh, BUT, the recoil and flip aren't that bad, once I realized it was MIND over MATTER, don't pay it any mind and it doesn't matter! I shoot it well. I do agree that the 40 S&W is probably the ideal ccw caliber, i.e. bang-for-buck. BUT, I am a 45ACP guy, would like a PM 45, but this very old, well used, over 10k rounds, justs shoots Greaaaat. Pocket carry's great also.
I have also found that , for me, P series with larger handle is more fun to shoot than the PM series.

garyb
07-11-2011, 12:57 PM
P series with larger handle is more fun to shoot than the PM series.

I am in agreement that certainly the PM40's 6 round mag with the extension is more comfortable in hand than the compact 5 round mag on the PM40. Probably similar issue to having a larger grip on another model. The sweet thing about the PM40 is that the shooter has the option of compact conceal carry with 5 round mag and 1 in the pipe; or the extended grip length using the 6 round mag for the range or holster carry. Best of both worlds, plus the 40. Either way, the recoil and flip are non-issues with the PM40. Sweet! I guess for the buyer originating this thread, It would be something important for you to consider how you plan to use the PM40....primarly conceal; more for range; both. I think the PM40 offers best of all worlds....in a 40. Just some added info.

readingbill
07-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I may have to go back and take a good, second look at it. I figure I should check the magazines for broken followers, the trigger pin area for cracks, any chewed-up parts of the frame, the magazine release, etc. Any other suggestions on what to look for?

I'll have to ask the gun shop guy to contact the consignor to see whether I can clean it and test shoot it. If I can't, then I don't want to take a chance on it.

TucsonMTB
07-11-2011, 02:41 PM
No need to clean, but shooting would be a good idea.

Since there is a small risk of damage to the gun by your dis-assembly (or reassembly), the owner would be more likely to just let you shoot it.

Broken magazine followers are usually just replaced by Kahr. They are the same as your 9mm mags, so you should have a spare or two anyway.

Best of luck!

O'Dell
07-11-2011, 02:58 PM
I'd sure grab it at that price. I'm in the market for a PM40 anyway, since I don't have the patience to wait for the CM40. As for recoil, my CW40 is one of my best shooting guns, even though it's a lot lighter than the M&P c 40 or the full size USP 40. I belt carry it more than any of my other pistols.

Redfish
12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
I also had concerns about buying a PM 40. I'd read reviews that said the recoil was pretty bad. One guy described it as "brutal". Also read in more than one review that they would be good for an experienced shooter. I'm 5'6". About 145 lb. Have small wrists. And not an especially experienced shooter. Still own evey gun I've ever bought. All three of them. Going to the range and shooting 100 rounds in the gun only leaves me disappointed that I'm finished. (And wishing I had a couple more magazines) I've shot 200 rounds, stopping only for the frequent reloads and to pick up brass once in a while. The only time I've ever found the recoil to be bad was while shooting with my brother in law who owns many high quality guns. After shooting several sweet shooting full size guns, going to the PM 40 was sort of like warming up with a regular bat and then stepping up to the plate with a lead one. Further, the gun pushes straight back into my hand rather than flipping up which has totally eliminated my fear of the short grip. Oh, and I can hit the target with it.