PDA

View Full Version : Your process with a turret press

hdsteve69
07-12-2011, 07:45 AM
So Im new to reloading ,when I did my first 100 rnds I was doing 1 step at a time .1 clean all cases including deburring 2. resize ,prime and expand all cases 3. charge all cases and inspect charge 4. bullet press all cases. Seemed to take a long time so now I have changed my process to doing everything to one round at a time to completion this seems to be faster . Just curious how others with a turret press do their process.

94zcar
07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I just complete every step on my Lee classic turret, letting the press auto index. I dont deburr or trim pistol cases, I read that it is not necessary. you didn't say what your reloading but I am guessing it's for pistol.
Since kahr doesn't make rifles.

hdsteve69
07-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Ya Im loading 9mm and 40s&w. So you dont have any problems with die damage by not deburring ,cause if not I could get a lot more rounds done if I could eliminate that step. I timed myself last night and I did 10 rounds of 40 in 11 minutes.

Bawanna
07-12-2011, 12:59 PM
If your using brand new unused brass I debur, otherwise I just take a quick peek as I feed the press and set aside those with deformities or burrs. Once is usually all they will ever need.
I like to clean primer pockets but with my progressive that doesn't work so good. I've not had any issues so far so I'm not worried about it.

hdsteve69
07-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Thats what ive been doing new brass debur old brass I just do a quick debur of the hole in the primer bucket to make sure it is cleaned good and use a primer bucket brush to make sure it is cleaned also.

melissa5
07-12-2011, 07:07 PM
I just got my Lee turret set up and have disabled the auto index for the moment while I'm learning the process. Actually, the auto index spindle thing came off by itself???? :madgrin: So far, I've only tumbled, de-primed, and cleaned the primer pockets. Federal has started using small primers on their 45 acp. So, there's another step having to separate the Federal from the rest of the brass.

Plus, it was 100 degrees in Dixie today. It felt like an oven in my garage.

Bawanna
07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I just got my Lee turret set up and have disabled the auto index for the moment while I'm learning the process. Actually, the auto index spindle thing came off by itself???? :madgrin: So far, I've only tumbled, de-primed, and cleaned the primer pockets. Federal has started using small primers on their 45 acp. So, there's another step having to separate the Federal from the rest of the brass.

Plus, it was 100 degrees in Dixie today. It felt like an oven in my garage.

Speer Lawman and I've seen some brass cased Blazer that are small primer also. I've been loading the small primer speer exclusively as I got a bunch of it from work. Do have to sort it all out which is kind of a pain but something to do in my spare time. (yeah right, spare time).

Sambo
07-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I too use a lee auto indexing turret. It works very well for me and am down to completing a box of 50 in just 12 minutes. I used to reload batches in steps as you've described, but i've recently purchased the pro auto disk powder measure. Now, I run through all the steps for each bullet, letting the auto index do its thing. I have complete trust in the auto disk measure. It throws perfectly consistent charges with all powders i've used, large flake, tiny ball etc. It is operates by the case mouth in the expander die and indexes away after the charge. Make sure you monitor the process through each step. I have a flashlight taped to the press so i can check the charge. I only use once fired brass and have loaded thousands and thousands of round and have never trimmed, deburred, or cleaned any case mouths or primer pockets. It really doesn't seem to be an issue to me. I have 38 special cases that I have loaded at least 25 times without any issues relating to primers pockets, just the occasional split case mouth.

earle8888
07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I have an old Hollywood turret that has Mexican, manual indexing. I have always, always did one step/operation at a time. That is I keep boxes of fired, de-caped, cleaned, sized, length checked/trimmed, m-died, primed, and then loaded. Also bags/boxes fired NOT Visually inspected. Having great GOBS of brass for each caliber I load is an obvious advantage. But I don't believe it takes me any longer to load, (safely), this way than a progressive. I used a Mec 650 progressive for 12 Ga. trap, when I shot trap, now have spare 12 ga. loader.
Anyhow, what ever works safely for you is great!

ultratec1
07-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I run the whole process through at once, resize/deprime, bell the die and load the powder, seat the bullet and then crimp. Use to just run the powder through the auto dispense index but when that system took a crap i bought the RCBS chargemaster.

thumbs
07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I run each one through the process at one time. That's the advantage of the turret press. The only thing you have to make sure of is that you move the handle all the way up and down. If you don't you will distort that little black indexing square. I dont know what the advantage if doing each step separately. Kinda defeats the purpus of the turret press.

johnatw
07-26-2011, 06:17 AM
What is the cost to reload 40 S&W and 9mm these days?

MW surveyor
07-26-2011, 10:37 AM
thumbs - some people like to do one process at a time, just like a single press.

johnatw - hate to be a smart a$$ but is does depend on the components. I don't load for 40 but my 9 mm cost is about 11 cents. My 45 ACP and 357 are around 13 cents. Both using lead bullets.

thumbs
07-26-2011, 10:45 AM
I found the most expensive part of reloading is the bullet itself. I haven't bought components for a while but I think this is close.

Primer. About .04 cents

Powder. About .03---.05 cents

Bullet. About .10 cents

The best way to save is the bullet. As you can see if you could cast your own bullet that part would be next to nothing. I am looking for a 9mm mold now.

Your right about some people like to load one step at a time. Whatev you like is the way to go. That is the beauty of the turret press, you have options and they are easy to change.

Scimmia
07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
What is the cost to reload 40 S&W and 9mm these days?

My current costs with lead bullets is $0.11/round ($5.50/box) for 9mm and $0.1269/round (~$6.35/box) for 40 S&W 180 gr TCFP, a little less with 170 gr SWC.

johnatw
07-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys, It sounds like reloading is a real money saver.

MW surveyor
07-27-2011, 06:40 AM
It is if you shoot a lot. If not, then you will not make your money back on the reloading equipment unless you go real cheap.