View Full Version : Issues with my CM9

twitty
07-14-2011, 07:15 PM
First time poster on the site but have been trolling around since I bought my CM9. I am a little upset regarding how the magazine won't fall out of my gun on its own when I try to drop it after emptying a clip. This seems like a huge tactical disadvantage to me. In a serious situation you would want to drop your mag as fast as possible to reload. I have seen a few different posts regarding ways to attempt to fix this but should the buyer really be responsible to fix something that should work correctly from the factory? I am just trying to figure out what to do. Any help?

frank_drebin
07-14-2011, 07:42 PM
My pm40 and cw9 mags all drop free. If you have multiple mags not dropping free then I would take some emery cloth to the magwell. If it's only one mag then see what's up with that may. You may just have a burr in the polymer magwell. **** happens. It's an easy fix.

Joe L
07-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I found that some of the magazines need to be squeezed a few thousandths up near the top. I posted a solution a few weeks ago. Try http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7325

bonjorno2
07-14-2011, 08:06 PM
welcome to the forum.... Is this the only "issue" you are having?

slowpoke
07-14-2011, 08:19 PM
My CM9 drops them free. I think yours will too after the gun gets a little wear on it.
I wouldn't start "fixen" anything till the gun gets some more miles on it.

Rainman48314
07-14-2011, 08:24 PM
First time poster on the site but have been trolling around since I bought my CM9. I am a little upset regarding how the magazine won't fall out of my gun on its own when I try to drop it after emptying a clip. This seems like a huge tactical disadvantage to me. In a serious situation you would want to drop your mag as fast as possible to reload. I have seen a few different posts regarding ways to attempt to fix this but should the buyer really be responsible to fix something that should work correctly from the factory? I am just trying to figure out what to do. Any help?with my 3 mags, one drops fairly free but doesn't fly out. I use it as my primary mag when I carry. The second eases out about half way, the third is a bit sticky. This is an improvement since when the gun was new. If this is your only issue, you are blessed.

nelly
07-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Hi,My CM9 spits out one mag easily,& fully, but the other two stick without ejecting completely,One is a 7 rounder & the other is a 6.It's the 6 that really sticks..I shot some drills and I had to pull out the other two . Don't expect Race gun mag drops with these guns as the tolerances are tight.I just lube them up real good and hope they pop out enough to grab...

jocko
07-15-2011, 06:16 PM
some have actually tried waxing the outside of the mags with some luck, some have also squeezed the mags a tad with great results. Mine have never dropped freely out of my PM9 but for me anyhow I like it that way. I don't carry a spare mag and I don't hit my mag release button as I am a lefty but if I did, I know my magazineis not going to dissapear on me.

My P380 drops mags freely, as does my K9. Some of the good tips offered here by others on this mag thing I could have done to my PM9 but I am now very fast with taking my magazine out, as I when I had some custom stipplying done on my PM9, I also had mag well cutouts, more for looks but they do work in my case. My mags will always pop out a half to 3/4" inch, plenty enough to grab..

yqtszhj
07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
If the gun runs good I wouldn't let it out of my sight. I bet the mag drop could be fixed up with a couple of little tweeks. I always liked doing those things so that when the warranty runs out I know better how it ticks, but that's just me. Anyway I bet some of the folks on here can help you out. Plus you would get to sit around the fire with us. And jocko is really the Kahr technicial support guy they just don't pay him enough.

Joe L
07-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Just squeeze the mags as explained in the link above.

CJB
07-16-2011, 06:04 AM
Just my 2c, but the latent engineer in me says "don't squeeze the magazines" until you MEASURE them.

I'm not quite sure that Kahr's molders are the aces they should be with the frames, and the same regarding the magazines. I do know, there was very evident variation on my PM45 - that was replaced - with exactly 400 units difference in the serial number.

Could be the lot of magazines are "within specified dimensional tolerance" and the frame just has a bit of flashing. Could be frame is not quite there on size, and one mag is also undersize... any combination of things.

~~~~

Sayin all that, its not uncommon for magazines to bulge a little at the top where the lips are formed, its almost part of the forming process. The 1911 magazines do this - easy to spot if you run them against a straight edge. Also an easy matter to sand the mag well rails with some 400 grit paper wrapped on a piece of flat stock.

OldLincoln
07-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Perhaps Kahr could/should do better with mags and poly fitting of the mag well. But for now it is what it is, so why not just get on with it and consider it normal until they produce a perfect gun 100% of the time.

I worked my mags as many here have done and it's no big deal. Look at it like mags aren't supposed to slip all the way out and you are modifying it to your likes. Jocko prefers his to hang and I prefer mine to drop, each to their own.

In the year or so I've hung here I've seen improvement in Kahr quality and the CM9 is the best example of that. They ARE a very well designed gun and most off the line are really good quality. Some are crappers but not yours. I don't consider a good shooting gun that doesn't pop the mags out a significant flaw.

jocko
07-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Just my 2c, but the latent engineer in me says "don't squeeze the magazines" until you MEASURE them.

I'm not quite sure that Kahr's molders are the aces they should be with the frames, and the same regarding the magazines. I do know, there was very evident variation on my PM45 - that was replaced - with exactly 400 units difference in the serial number.

Could be the lot of magazines are "within specified dimensional tolerance" and the frame just has a bit of flashing. Could be frame is not quite there on size, and one mag is also undersize... any combination of things.

~~~~

Sayin all that, its not uncommon for magazines to bulge a little at the top where the lips are formed, its almost part of the forming process. The 1911 magazines do this - easy to spot if you run them against a straight edge. Also an easy matter to sand the mag well rails with some 400 grit paper wrapped on a piece of flat stock.

and I think I did state THAT SOME have squeezed the mag with great results.

It is more magazine related than mag well related, and although I have never done it to get my mags to fjall free as I really don't care about that, but at the worst your only going to ruin the magazine. If one goes hacking inside a mag well, u can't put back what u take off in that area.

Probalby a mute point if the magazine is out of spec or the mag well is out of spec, It is what it is, it is fixable if one wants to work at it. Many have just sent back the magazines that gave issues to receive new ones and that seemed to solved the issue for most.

Joe L
07-16-2011, 07:14 PM
If the magazine is over 0.490 they will drag, some of mine were 0.493-0.495, the ones that dropped clean were all 0.487-0.490, I think, a 5 thousandths squeeze isn't much and all you are doing is bringing the fat ones down to the same dimension as many of the factory ones. Here is a photo from the previous thread.
http://joelynch.smugmug.com/photos/i-hg4KHq8/1/M/i-hg4KHq8-M.jpg

TucsonMTB
07-16-2011, 08:27 PM
First time poster on the site but have been trolling around since I bought my CM9. I am a little upset regarding how the magazine won't fall out of my gun on its own when I try to drop it after emptying a clip. This seems like a huge tactical disadvantage to me. In a serious situation you would want to drop your mag as fast as possible to reload. I have seen a few different posts regarding ways to attempt to fix this but should the buyer really be responsible to fix something that should work correctly from the factory? I am just trying to figure out what to do. Any help?
Since your CM9 is new, a quick call to Kahr support should result in a replacement magazine being sent to you.

If they insist on having the original back first, this might be a good time to buy that second magazine you have probably been thinking about and then get the original replaced.

When your new mag drops freely, you will have even greater confidence that the magazine is a little extra thick rather than the pistol's dimensions being tight. ;)

OldLincoln
07-16-2011, 09:54 PM
P.S., be sure to measure full mags! Empty or partiality filled mags don't put the pressure on the lips that full ones do.

twitty
07-17-2011, 07:55 PM
yeah, today I finally got to shoot it and put 150 flawless rounds through it without a hitch, other than not being able to do a clean mag drop. I guess I shouldn't be too upset though.