PDA

View Full Version : CW 45 Slide Stop Pin Pops Out- Help??

freefire2
07-16-2011, 07:14 PM
OK, so I searched the threads here and can only find a post from gb6491 back in January 2010 about this problem. There it only said to "tighten the slide stop spring screw" and mine is not loose.

I see that this pin in held in place by the spring that pops into this tiny little groove at the base of the pin. This evidently is not enough retention to keep the pin in place, on mine anyway.

So, I'm looking for help on what or how to fix this.

jocko
07-16-2011, 07:33 PM
PM sent

gb6491
07-16-2011, 10:09 PM
OK, so I searched the threads here and can only find a post from gb6491 back in January 2010 about this problem. There it only said to "tighten the slide stop spring screw" and mine is not loose.

I see that this pin in held in place by the spring that pops into this tiny little groove at the base of the pin. This evidently is not enough retention to keep the pin in place, on mine anyway.

So, I'm looking for help on what or how to fix this.
Hi,
I just uploaded a video to try my hand at further explaining what tightening the screw does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c50P7HCAATo
Regards,
Greg

freefire2
07-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the video, Greg. I'll dig a little deeper into this. Nice video!

MERCTECH
07-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Look into getting a new spring. My cw45 started doing it at about 100rds. I took it apart and found the screw was loose but tightening didnt help a whole lot, got better retension but was still very easily poppped out. So I decided for $3.00 I'll buy a new spring. I got it and did a side by side comparison, old vs new and there is a difference. At least with mine. The old spring on the back side where it retains the slide stop has a little s curve to it. The new is straight down. Also my washer was hindering the slide stop enough to keep it at the notch of the spring, so I filed it down a little too. Let me see if I cant get a clear picture of the springs to give you a better idea of what Im talking about. It might be the same with your gun.

freefire2
07-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks merctech.

MERCTECH
07-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Heres a pic its the best I could get. The top one is the old one. You can see how it curves away from the slide stop pin a little. The new one dosnt have that. Something to check at least. Oh and your welcome.

jocko
07-17-2011, 11:45 AM
one can't go wrong when in doubt to change that little springhy, just follow GB6491 picture tutorial and ur home free.

Remember polymer kahrs take a #6 torx and the steel kahrs that use this slide lock set up

Polymer P380 a # 5 torx

To me there is no such thinbg as "tightening" that little screw on the polymer, Screw in by feel and resistance. All that flat washer and screw does is really keep that springhy in place. It has to have some flexability in it. snug is good... It looks like a fragile area but if you take care of that area it will serve u well and not be an issue. I have replaced my slide stop spring one time in over 32,000 rounds and at least 300+ slide take downs. but I take care of that area also..:blah:

freefire2
07-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks everybody, this spring tightening seemed to help increase the retention of the pin. I haven't shot it yet but, it sure feels harder to get out.

I'm a little hesitant to tighten it more because the screw goes into plastic (whose idea was that, anyway??????). Does anybody think it's worth backing the screw out and applying some Loctite so once you get'er set she stays?

gb6491
07-17-2011, 03:12 PM
... Does anybody think it's worth backing the screw out and applying some Loctite so once you get'er set she stays?
I'd forgo the Loctite: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2844
Regards,
Greg

jocko
07-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks everybody, this spring tightening seemed to help increase the retention of the pin. I haven't shot it yet but, it sure feels harder to get out.

I'm a little hesitant to tighten it more because the screw goes into plastic (whose idea was that, anyway??????). Does anybody think it's worth backing the screw out and applying some Loctite so once you get'er set she stays?

once snugged will stay put. Pass on the locktite, not sure it would do anything positive. In over 300+ slide take downs I had never ever ut a torx tool in that little screw. If it ain'broke don't fix it.:blah: