View Full Version : PM9 Mag Release RUSTING!

RonM
07-18-2011, 05:37 PM
I purchased my PM9 to pocket carry since it is stainless and polymer. I never thought about the Mag Release being anything but stainless.

The holster I purchased does not cover the mag release and now it is rusting.

Anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions? I have the Crimson Trace LaserGuard on the PM9.

Thanks.

Ron

TucsonMTB
07-18-2011, 06:41 PM
The DeSantis Nemesis covers the mag release on my PM40 nicely. Should work as well for your PM9.

RonM
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
I forgot to mention that I have a CT LaserGuard on it.

TucsonMTB
07-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I forgot to mention that I have a CT LaserGuard on it.
No worries! Pick a model for the gun with the laser installed. There is very little difference in cost. :)

WilliamG
07-19-2011, 02:19 AM
The Nemesis Superfly for PM9 + Crimson Trace does not cover the mag release, FYI. Got any pictures of your rusted mag release?

TucsonMTB
07-19-2011, 02:38 AM
The Nemesis Superfly for PM9 + Crimson Trace does not cover the mag release, FYI. Got any pictures of your rusted mag release?
Really? It looks like the Nemesis similar to mine does . . .

http://www.kahr.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=DeSantis-Nemesis-pocket-holster-for-Crimson-Trace-Laser-Sight1484.jpg&w=326&h=278

jocko
07-19-2011, 05:04 AM
It is not stainless, probably gonna have to keep urs oiled. I would call kahr and see if they might send u a new one. Who knows maybe the next one willbe better. Sometimes one's body acids work differently on metals to. Those catchs are not expernsive, if kahr doesn't volunteer to send you one, just buy one and try it.

My Desantis and my Uncle Mikes size 3 both cover my PM9 mag release completely...

les strat
07-19-2011, 08:10 AM
FYI, a Blackhawk pocket holster in size #3 (or #4 -not as tight with a CT, but both will work with a CT) will cover the release as well. You can get one for about $12, and they resist moisture and stay in pocket well on draw.

WilliamG
07-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Really? It looks like the Nemesis similar to mine does . . .

http://www.kahr.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=DeSantis-Nemesis-pocket-holster-for-Crimson-Trace-Laser-Sight1484.jpg&w=326&h=278

Yes, really. It doesn't. See my gun and holster right here. That above image is not the Superfly, which I prefer since it's more grippy in my pocket...

Nemesis Superfly for PM9 + Crimson Trace:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/wgrose/20110518-IMG_6992.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/wgrose/20110518-IMG_6991.jpg

I also prefer the Superfly here since I can grab the gun out much more quickly because I can get all my fingers around it (I used to have the non-Superfly Nemesis, and it bugged me for this reason).

Like this! Easy grab! (just snapped this with the phone to demonstrate - sorry for the picture quality)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/wgrose/photo-41.jpg

TucsonMTB
07-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Okay . . . I was confused by the name you used, sorry.

I believe the manufacturer refers to your holster as a DeSantis Superfly holster.

DeSantis also makes a Nemesis holster, which does cover the magazine release, as illustrated.

Bummer that the stickier DeSantis Superfly holster does not cover the mag release. It looks nice otherwise.

WilliamG
07-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Okay . . . I was confused by the name you used, sorry.

I believe the manufacturer refers to your holster as a DeSantis Superfly holster.

DeSantis also makes a Nemesis holster, which does cover the magazine release, as illustrated.

Bummer that the stickier DeSantis Superfly holster does not cover the mag release. It looks nice otherwise.

Yes, my bad - I called it a Nemesis Superfly, when it's just a Desantis Superfly, vs the Desantis Nemesis which you guys have. In any case, I had the word "Superfly" in there. :D

Why is it a bummer to not cover the mag release? I wouldn't have it any other way because of not being able to get a grip on the gun in a hurry, and I'm pretty sure mag release rusting is VERY uncommon. :)

TucsonMTB
07-19-2011, 10:56 PM
My PM40 does not have a laser, so it may fit differently in the Nemesis. However, when I reach into my pocket to grip the pistol, my fingers end up on the grip just below the trigger guard and it comes out of the pocket (and holster, of course) in the ready to fire position.

I wonder if the thinner holster material makes the difference?

Whatever. I understand your pain. I have a little Kel-Tec that I sometimes pocket carry in a Nemesis. It was blued when I bought it, but I sent it to Jack Fusilier for nickel plating. The exposed corner of the nickel plated slide turns dark, like an old coin, in my pocket. :(

Edited to add: Oh, and covering the mag release helps prevent unexpected, in pocket magazine ejections. Or, so I am told, never having experienced it personally. YMMV of course

WilliamG
07-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Bah that stinks. :(

It's interesting reading about the rusting mag release here because this is the first I've read about it and I did a ton of reading before buying my PM9 a couple of months ago. Have gone through so many pocket pieces I've lost count. :D

I figure it can't be hard to replace that release, though, should it become a problem. Mine looks brand new still, though I've only been carrying it for a few months.

jocko
07-20-2011, 05:11 AM
takes maybe 5 minutes for some even less, there is a photo tutorial on this site somewhere. I think it could be in the kahr tech section under GB6491 cw45 fixes. Normaly this little parts shys away from rust, but one never knows in this case. It could also be just the person body acid doing somethhing to it. Could be that MIM part had more ironinit that maybe others, could be his is just gonna rust and needs to havemore attention toit.

RonM
08-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I ended up purchasing a Blackhawk Sportster #3 for $10 at WalMart and it covers the mag release and should work ok. I will just have to keep that part well oiled.

It disappoints me about the mag release not being stainless, because the main reason I purchased the Kahr PM9 was it was stainless & polymer and I did not expect anything to rust. Now I will have to decide if I am going to keep it or get something else. I wish Glock made a pocket pistol as small as the Kahr or the Diamondback DB9.

jocko
08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
very few owners have ever reported this happening, my bet it could be body chemistry causing it more than not. It is a MIM part, it is ot stainless. I sure would hate to think I was going to get rid of the gun because of that. Get a new mag release, it just might be OK. possably this part in ur gun had more of something in it that normal. It is certainly not an issue with kahrs. Send it off and let some refinisher put a durable finish on it. Molre than one way to skin a cat besides peddling it for sure a trivial reason, IMO.

Alfonse
08-05-2011, 06:11 PM
My old DeSantis Superfly covers the mag release, but the new one that I bought a month or so ago from the Kahr shop does not. Edit, I have the Crimson Trace also.

I like the old one. It is a shame they changed it.

Scimmia
08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I wonder if something has changed with the newer guns causing this. I was cleaning my CM9 tonight and noticed the mag release rusting. I carry it IWB in a Remora #4 with Sweat Shield which covers the mag release, but just barily. Going to have to pay more attention to keeping it oiled and see what happens.

Screendmon
08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
mine is rusting also on my CM9

jlottmc
08-08-2011, 10:50 AM
If I'm not careful, my P45 will do it quick. Clean it off, and use Barricade on it after it's clean. That helps tremendously, or get a different holster that covers that area, and has some kind of moisture protection. Or just keep an eye on things and clean it as needed, keep a little more oil than normal there, that's what I did for the longest time with the P45. My P45 is older, so this is not a new thing. I have yet to carry the wife's CW45 more than around the house, so I have no idea if it will do the same.

Rubb
08-08-2011, 01:34 PM
The rear sight will do the same thing, CLP and a nylon brush should take it off.
I treat each area with CLP at my bi-weekly cleanings and have avoided any further issues.

TucsonMTB
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Gentlemen. It is blued or blackened steel and subject to the kind of rust you would expect from that material.

But, because we love you, we will be glad to protect your prized pistols by storing them here in Arizona's famously low humidity, for a very reasonable fee. Generous as we are, we will still expect you to pay all transfer fees, sorry.

Hey, it works for airplanes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_boneyard) . . .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Tucson05_AMARCNoseToNose.jpg

jocko
08-08-2011, 02:33 PM
The rear sight will do the same thing, CLP and a nylon brush should take it off.
I treat each area with CLP at my bi-weekly cleanings and have avoided any further issues.

good point.

Rubb
08-10-2011, 06:41 AM
And I almost forgot…. the little circle part on the slide release….treat that area too.

garyb
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I have noted the same thing on my PM40 which is blackened and carried in a Remora. Like everyone else, I don't like it, but I decided that if I am going to carry her IWB against my skin, or pocket, sweating, etc...I have to expect to oil her a bit more often. It is simply the nature of the beast and can be kept in check with more frequent wiping and oiling. Not a huge deal and I've seen it in other stainless firearms due to weather on prolonged adventures. Keep them wiped down and oiled and they will serve you well.

wyntrout
08-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Tucson, a lot of my old weapons were stored there, but the SALT caused them to be "degraded" into larges pieces... by the world's largest guillotine... <sniff> my beloved BUFFs.

Wynn:(

bobthegunslinger
08-10-2011, 12:18 PM
only had my cm9 for two weeks.i carry it in a crossbreed mini-tuck;very comfortable.i think i may also pick up the DeSantis Superfly holster as well for an alternate dress carry option for cargo shorts pockets(wider) for the small price it costs and great quality i hear!

rmm911
06-05-2013, 05:46 PM
I am new to this forum and I will be getting my first PM9 tomorrow. The subject of rusting stainless steel really caught my attention. According to the Kahr website, the slide on the PM9 is made from 416 Stainless Steel.

At another website, I determined that 416 Stainless Steel is a martensitic free machining grade of stainless that can be hardened by heat treatment to achieve elevated strength and hardness. Due to its low cost and ready machinability, 416 stainless steel is readily used in its highly tempered state. It exhibits better machining characteristics than austenitic grades, however, sacrifices corrosion resistance.

I thought this information might be of interest.

jocko
06-05-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure the mag release btotn is even stainless. It is a MIM part and I would not think it is stainless, so for some people their body chemical makeup could be causing it along with the location where u live. My oh My what did we do when there was no stainless guns back years ago.

Probalby some iron content in all stainless to. Just sayin.

Moz
10-22-2018, 02:04 PM
I had rust developing on my CW380 mag release. I removed it from the weapon, cleaned it, and seasoned it just like an iron skillet. No rust returned as yet...

dustnchips
10-24-2018, 06:34 PM
Same problem with my CW380. I've been considering adding a dab of metal epoxy to it and leaving it bit higher. Stop the rust ad raise the release just a bit. It should be a win win.

Mike_usn_ret
11-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Just noticed my CM9 mag release has corrosion on it.15773

JinRC
12-24-2018, 10:26 AM
My CW9 had the same thing, rust on the mag release a couple of years ago. Take it out, clean it off really well and treat it. I used froglube and I haven't had any rust issues since. If you carry it regularly, just check it when you do your regular cleaning.

CRF8
12-24-2018, 09:02 PM
I asked KAHR about it and the rep told me I didn’t take care of my gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk