PDA

View Full Version : New .22 cal plinkers

Ol'coot
12-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Last week I picked up 2 Sig Mosquito's as Christmas gift for myself and my wife. I purchased the reversed 2 tone for myself and the Pink one for the wife. We are avid shooter and were looking for a couple of fun guns for plinking and the Mosquito should do the job well, until Kahr comes out with a .22 cal. We did take them to the range and run a couple hundred CCI Mini Mags LRN through each gun with only a couple FTF and no other issues. Her gun seems to be dead on at 21 feet with the tallest front sight installed but mine was shooting about 2 inches low. I did not have the extra front sights with me but change the sight to the med height one when cleaning the gun and hope to try it out over the Christmas holidays. I was hope someone here can help me with my quest for as I have been searching the web for somewhere to purchase the bridge mount for these guns so I can install as red dot sights. I cannot find these things any where. Any help in locating a couple of these would be appreciated. I can find lot's of places with the bridge mount in stock for the Walther P-22 but no one with the Sig bridge mount. Has anyone tried or know if this bridge mount will fit the Mosquito? Here are a couple shots of the new toys.

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/v0/p314778667-4.jpg

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/v8/p339546526-4.jpg

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/v1/p245930246-5.jpg

mr surveyor
12-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Nice guns. Although the skeeters can be ammo sensitive, I have no doubt that nursing 500-600 rounds through them will smooth them out well. One of my friends bought one last year and his is flawless with the CCI mini-mags as well as Rem Golden Bullets (100 pack... NOT the wal-mart bulk pack stuff). I've been kicking around the idea of buying one to compliment my P239 40 cal, and my gun shop buddy still has one of the pink ones in stock ..... my wife really, really, needs her very own Sig:D....

surv

Ol'coot
12-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Nice guns. Although the skeeters can be ammo sensitive,

I have has read the same information concerning these gun being ammo sensitive and find that to be the case with must .22 cal semiauto pistols. So far we have only shot the CCI Mini-mags and only had a couple of FTF issues. I have purchased four of 550 round boxes of the Federal Champion High Velocity 36 gr HP to try in these guns at our next outing. They should be OK I think as the velocity at the muzzle is 1260 FPS verses the CCI Mini-mags at 40 gr and 1235 FPS.

I have hand cycled the slides about 250 to 300 times on each gun and they are now smooth as silk. The trigger leaves a little to be desired but I think it will also get better with use. Its not to bad in SA but very heavy and not very smooth at all in DA. Anyway we like the little guns and will have a great time shooting them. I am one very lucky as my wife is my favorite range partner and the cost of shooting our 9mm and .38 sp can add up fast limiting our range time. These little guns will at least allow us to shoot as much as we wish and we do enjoy the time on the range.

zena
12-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm glad to hear Sig got the Mosquito running so well. When it first came out several years ago I purchased one and it never ran. Constant FTF's. With any and all ammo. Went back to Sig twice and still didn't function. Gun store owner gave me full credit toward another gun (Glock!) and I've not touched a Sig since.

Chief Joseph
12-26-2009, 04:18 PM
My friend has one of those sigs, and I have a Walther P22, we've both encountered each to be ammo sensitive. We found that Remington goldens work the best for the cheap ammo and CCI Mini mags work excellent in them.

Ol'coot
12-26-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm glad to hear Sig got the Mosquito running so well. When it first came out several years ago I purchased one and it never ran. Constant FTF's. With any and all ammo. Went back to Sig twice and still didn't function. Gun store owner gave me full credit toward another gun (Glock!) and I've not touched a Sig since.

My friend has one of those sigs, and I have a Walther P22, we've both encountered each to be ammo sensitive. We found that Remington goldens work the best for the cheap ammo and CCI Mini mags work excellent in them.

We did as much research as possible before deciding to go with the Mosquito's and did considering just about every .22 cal in the same price range. We really did not want just a target pistol but something that feels and looks like a regular pistol. It came down to the Mosquito and the Walther P-22 and after holding each the Sig's just felt better in our hands. In my research I found many people singing the praises of both guns and the same for the negatives. I do notice the most of the major issues seemed to be with the earliest models and that there was less issues posted on the new ones, Both guns are said to run best with the Mini-Mags or other high quality ammo and they dislike the cheaper bulk ammo. If there are no more issues that we experienced during our initial test, I will be thrilled and very pleased with this purchase.

mr surveyor
12-26-2009, 09:34 PM
My friend that bought the Mosquito had me take him to the range to break it in and help him learn the gun. Knowing that they still need a bit of pampering and knowledge of which recoil spring to use for various loads, I tried to talk him into something a bit more forgiving like a Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark, but he was infatuated with the Sig. For a real "gun person", there's absolutely nothing that can't be understood about break-in and proper handling to make the Mosquito work, but a novice can have real problems. Sig obviously knows what ammo "works" in a new pistol, and his was no different. We started his with mini-mags and Rem GB's for the first hundred rounds or so, then I tried some 36 grain Winchester and 36 grain Federal, and had numerous FTE problems. I have a feeling that with a few hundred, or few thousand rounds of good recommended ammo that the Mosquito will handle even the cheap bulk stuff... with maybe the exception of the really cheap bulk boxed golden bullets (about 10% the bullets are seated about 5 degrees out of plumb).

I would be very interested to hear the results of the 36 grainers in a new Mosquito, as it seems that until all the rough edges are knocked down they need the energy from the 40 grainers to properly cycle.

Keep us informed (I followed the Mosquito discussions on the Sig forum for a long time).

surv

Ol'coot
12-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Surv,

I will do a follow up post after my next outing

Chief Joseph
12-27-2009, 02:30 PM
My friend that bought the Mosquito had me take him to the range to break it in and help him learn the gun. Knowing that they still need a bit of pampering and knowledge of which recoil spring to use for various loads, I tried to talk him into something a bit more forgiving like a Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark, but he was infatuated with the Sig. For a real "gun person", there's absolutely nothing that can't be understood about break-in and proper handling to make the Mosquito work, but a novice can have real problems. Sig obviously knows what ammo "works" in a new pistol, and his was no different. We started his with mini-mags and Rem GB's for the first hundred rounds or so, then I tried some 36 grain Winchester and 36 grain Federal, and had numerous FTE problems. I have a feeling that with a few hundred, or few thousand rounds of good recommended ammo that the Mosquito will handle even the cheap bulk stuff... with maybe the exception of the really cheap bulk boxed golden bullets (about 10% the bullets are seated about 5 degrees out of plumb).

I would be very interested to hear the results of the 36 grainers in a new Mosquito, as it seems that until all the rough edges are knocked down they need the energy from the 40 grainers to properly cycle.

Keep us informed (I followed the Mosquito discussions on the Sig forum for a long time).

surv

The Federal were completely unusable in my friends sig. The rim shape is the prob we figured out. They were a little better in my P22, but still unusable. The Golden bullets, while having a few duds is the way to go for pure cheap and 98 percent reliability.

mr surveyor
12-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure what Remington does with their line of Golden Bullets. They do package 500 (or 550) bulk packs under the label of Golden Bullets (we used to pick them up a china mart), but my range friends and I have found these to be the most aggrivating thing Remington ever sold. As I said above, a high percentage of them have the bullets improperly seated (5 degrees out of plumb), making them jam both rifles and pistols. I generally even have to discard 2-3 per box that won't even force into my .22 cal revolvers. But, on the other hand, Remington also packages their "Golden Bullets" in clear plastic clam shell boxes of 100, and these not only have a differeent appearance, they are near what I would consider the lower end of match grade quality. It's as if Remington packages two different levels of quality sold under the same product name? There's no doubt been a lot of .22 cal firearms sent back to their mother ship, put into the used gun market, or stuffed in the back of the closet because of the failure rate of .22 cal ammunition in general.

surv

Ol'coot
12-30-2009, 08:24 AM
As I stated in my orginal post I wanted to add the bridge mount and a red dot scope to these little guns for even more plinking fun. I found the bridge mounts and had them on order for a couple of days and just run across on heck of a deal for Barska Red Dot scopes. These are at about half price at less than 20 bucks each , so I purchased one for both guns and another one for a friend. Here is the link if anyone is interested beofre there all gone at this price. And there is FREE shipping for any order over Twenty Dollars

50MM RED DOT BARSKA SCOPE - Hunting Scopes by The Outfitter Store (http://www.theoutfitterstore.com/Hunting_Scopes-50MM_RED_DOT_BARSKA_SCOPE.html)

Ol'coot
01-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Well I promised to provided an updated range report on my experience with the new Sig Sauer Mosquito's. My wife, I and our Son who is in visiting for the holidays took time this morning to go back to the range. We all took turns shooting the new Sig Sauer Mosquito's until we had used up one of the 525 round bulk packs of the F745 Federal Champion 22LR 36gr High Velocity HP Ammunition The result are totals from both guns from today's outing. 4 Failures to eject, 2 failures to feed, and no failures to fire. I am very impressed with accuracy and performance of these guns as I had read so much bad information on them. I did take a minute to re-lube both slides before heading out this morning, but did not do anything else special to the guns. All 4 of the failure to eject were from the first round in the magazines, I am not sure what is happening to cause this as we were all loading the first round from full magazines by releasing the slide with the slide release lever. It is still to soon to know how well they will hold up , but to be honest I do not expect any real issues as they are very well designed and loads of fun to shoot. I see no reason to buy the more expensive CCI min-mags as the Federal ammo did very well at half the price. I did locate the scope bridge mounts I was searching for place my order and should receive them on Tuesday, I also ordered a couple of the low end Barska red dot scopes to use on these guns, I can wait to try all of this out as I should have every thing by the end of next week. We are both very happy with the our new toys.

mr surveyor
01-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Tony

According to my gun shop buddy that has sole quite a few Mosquitos in the last year, the magazines are the main culprit. Sig will replace them as it's now considered a known issue... at least according to my ffl friend. He has sent back a few mags for replacement and the customers have had no more complaints. The Mosquito does need a good bit of break-in, according to the users I'm familiar with, but all have been very satisfied afterwards.

JD