PDA

View Full Version : Inadvertant Slide Closure when Changing Mags

Trvlngnrs
12-25-2009, 10:39 AM
It's happened 3 - 4 times in a couple hundered rounds.

When I slap the fresh magazine to make sure it's seated in the gun, the slide closes unexpectedly.

has anyone else had this happen? I'm wondering if I'm too exuberant, or if there is there a problem?

Thanks,
Trvlngnrs

jocko
12-25-2009, 12:23 PM
ur to exhuberant. I can do it every time on my kahr and also on my glock 19. I guess for me anyhow I see no future in slamming magazines in but IMO you don't have a problem either.
Some speed shooter like that also.

mx5fan
12-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Personally, I like when my pistols do that...just one less step, in my opinion. My M&P's do that and they even drive a cartridge home..The M&Ps, they are designed to close the slide and drive a cartridge home, so that you are "ready", if needed.

coctailer
12-25-2009, 01:59 PM
My P45 does it also.
I'm not even slapping the mag in hard.

I double check every time to make sure there is a round in the chamber before I carry it though. It's always been in there.......

ltxi
12-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Although it's usually taught, slapping the mag after it's in to make sure it's seated is something you normally figure out by yourself after the first time or two one doesn't seat properly.

I have a custom defense 1911 that releases the slide when the mag is slapped home and was going to fix it....then decided not to. If the gun does it consistently I don't mind it. If it's inconsistent I'd have to fix it it, one way or the other. Can't tolerate a pistol that changes behavior in the middle of a string; or firefight.

Mold Guy
12-28-2009, 07:45 AM
My PM-40 started doing the same thing recently. It seems to do it more right after cleaning & lube. Then it tapers off. When it does happen, a round always gets chambered.