View Full Version : Range night with the Kahr's

Joe L
07-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Took a green pistol shooter to the range tonight to shoot a SIG P226 9mm, Kahr CM9, Kahr PM40, and Desert Eagle 1911G, in that order. What a blast. After safety training and basic operation of the pistol, I got him to understand the DA/SA mode of the SIG P226 first and then the basics of grip, stance, sight picture, trigger finger control. The SIG is a heavy 9mm so it has little recoil and is quite accurate. Fifty rounds later he was doing pretty well.

The long trigger and DAO of the Kahr was quite different from the SIG but this fellow picked it up quickly. He liked the CM9 immediately then experienced the difference in recoil for the the PM40. But he shot it well for a beginner after he became accustomed to a little more recoil. The heavy long sight radius single action light trigger 1911 was easy after the Kahr's!

Training session was a success. Basics of firearm safety. Basic operation of semi-automatic pistols, both hammer fired and striker fired. Trigger control is everything. Big heavy long barrel single action guns are easier to shoot initially than small lightweight short barrel large caliber polymer frame ones. 9mm is fun. 45 cal is expensive and fun. 9mm self defense carry guns are more difficult to learn to shoot accurately but fun. 40 cal self defense carry guns can be accurate while kicking like a mule...but are still a lot of fun. Pistols are fun. Student will try out several more guns then pick one that is comfortable to him and that he can learn to shoot well. Probably a full size 9mm service pistol like the P226. May not be like one of mine. That's OK, because they are all fun and we are all different. But for me, the most fun was had with the little Kahr PM40.

I shot the PM40 some myself and didn't want to put it down. It is very accurate and the trigger has a lot of rounds so it is even smoother with a more predictable break than my relatively new CM9. This was the first time I have shot the gun in over a month. I went out to 25 yards and put 5 of 5 rounds in a 10" circle single handed, slow fire. (My left arm is in a sling after surgery 2 weeks ago.) I can't do that with the CM9 yet. Gotta love the little hand cannon!

Joe

TucsonMTB
07-26-2011, 10:15 PM
I shot the PM40 some myself and didn't want to put it down. It is very accurate and the trigger has a lot of rounds so it is even smoother with a more predictable break than my relatively new CM9. This was the first time I have shot the gun in over a month. I went out to 25 yards and put 5 of 5 rounds in a 10" circle single handed, slow fire. (My left arm is in a sling after surgery 2 weeks ago.) I can't do that with the CM9 yet. Gotta love the little hand cannon!

Joe
+1 . . . The Kahr PM40 is my favorite pocket pistol. :)

Glad to hear that you had a good time! :D

Bear549
07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
I am always glad to hear that the sport is being passed on. Everyone should learn to shoot when they are old enough to hold the gun and squeeze the trigger. It doesn't matter if it is for defense, hunting or just plinking. It a right of living in this country that not many countries have. If it is not continually passed on in the correct manor, then we stand a chance of losing it.

Joe L
07-27-2011, 09:09 PM
...If [the shooting sport] is not continually passed on in the correct manner, then we stand a chance of losing it.

Agreed. I'm trying, one new shooter at a time.

Another thought. My wife asks why I carry when taking the dog for a walk. I tell her, because, I can, and I'm going to exercise my right to carry. Every day.

Thanks for the kind note.

Joe

Bear549
07-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Agreed. I'm trying, one new shooter at a time.

Another thought. My wife asks why I carry when taking the dog for a walk. I tell her, because, I can, and I'm going to exercise my right to carry. Every day.

Thanks for the kind note.

Joe

You should see some of the looks and comments I get when I show pictures of my 6 year old daughter shooting her pink carbon fiber P22. I just explain that I want her to learn the correct way on the range instead of inside some friends house where there is no supervision and I want her to know how to protect herself if it ever comes to a Zombie invasion....:D The amazing thing is now that I have fed her curiosity, she does not have the urge or really cares to handle a firearm unless we are out at the range.