PDA

View Full Version : Brand new unfired CM9 with crack in barrel end?

Screendmon
07-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I was looking at the end of my barrel today and I saw what looks like a 2mm crack or line in metal at the crown of the barrel. it was hard to get a good picture. here are 2 pics. Dont know if I should fire it or return it?

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee474/Screendmon/kahr%20crack/IMG_4046.jpg
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee474/Screendmon/kahr%20crack/IMG_4051.jpg

yqtszhj
07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
It's hard to tell from the pic but if it's a crack for sure I'd call Kahr before even shooting it.

Screendmon
07-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I ran my fingernail across it and so did my wife and we can feel anything. Maybe its just an anomaly in the metal?

RogerP9fan
07-27-2011, 08:14 PM
I'd play it safe, don't fire it. Could be very dangerous if it is a small crack. And very strange too. Take it back to the store or send it in to Kahr.

OldLincoln
07-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I would advise taking it to the store to be checked out AND documented that you had the problem before it was fired. If they say not a crack and it shows up later you have it documented.

Now that's just me talking because a cracked barrel is under warranty and Kahr would not hesitate to replace it anyway. I just like to remove all doubt before doing something with it.

gb6491
07-27-2011, 11:27 PM
It's hard to tell from the pic but if it's a crack for sure I'd call Kahr before even shooting it.

It's is hard to tell from the pics, but in the second photo that looks more like a chip/chatter/tooling mark than a crack to me. If that's the case, it should have no effect on how the pistol performs. I think the previous posters have given sound advice in regards to approaching it with caution, perhaps a good going over with a jeweler's loupe or good magnifying glass is in order.
Regards,
Greg

Popeye
07-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Hard to tell in the pic's but to me it looks like a tooling mark. If on your end it looks more like a crack I'd send it back to Kahr. Good luck

Screendmon
07-28-2011, 07:05 AM
I checked it here at work this morning under a magnifying glass. Doesn't look like a crack. looks more like a line in the metal.

Screendmon
07-28-2011, 02:37 PM
I took it the LGS and the gunsmith looked at it an said it was a tool mark. So he said to fire some rounds through it and check it. (They have an indoor gun range). I didn't have my gear with me and didn't want to pay for an hour if range time and rent all the gear too. So the owner took the Hun and fired 6 shots and all is fine. I really wish I could have shot the dust shots from my gun but oh well. At least it's good to go.

Ubaldo99
07-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Wow! Some of you guys (Popeye, gb6491) have eagle eyes! Nice diagnostic skills. I need newer eyeballs or stronger eyeglasses!

slowpoke
07-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Both of my Kahrs CW40 & CM9 have similar marks all the way around the barrel just inside the cone on each side of each rifling land. I think after you put some rounds through it you may see more develop.
Maybe yours is from a single shot factory test fire.
Jocko will come along and straighten this out shortly.