PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shoot?

500KV
12-26-2009, 05:13 PM
So what kind of range facilities do you all have?
Fortunately I'm able to belong to an indoor and an outdoor range for a total of $135 a year.

The outdoor rifle club range has a $25 yearly senior membership (over 60):p and the indoor (handgun only) range sells 35 hours for $110.
I only use the indoor range when the weather is bad and usually for 30 min. sessions so all-in-all the thing is pretty economical.

Just wondered what others did.

Ol'coot
12-26-2009, 06:03 PM
The wife and I belong to a local sportsmans club , dues for are $200.00 a year and that give us unlimited use of the indoor pistol range and outdoor pistol, rifle and shotgun facalities, The is also a indoor and outdoor archery range.

ltxi
12-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Indoor range, 75', mostly @ net about $15/session. Cheaper alternatives around, but I like these guys, it's handy, underground bunker, and well ventilated. Also have access to an outdoor range that's casual and can accommodate any firearm, but that's 45 miles each direction over country roads and not very useful in winter. I grew up shooting out the back yard....long for those days.

dirksterg30
12-27-2009, 07:21 AM
I belong to 2 local sportsmen's clubs. Dues for each is about $80/year. The first club only has outdoor ranges - a pistol range , 2 rifle ranges, trap & skeet, and a plinking range (pistols, shotguns & rimfire rifles).

The second club I only use for the indoor range, and it has a few rules I'm not crazy about - 5 round limit, no silhouette targets. A lot of the members only shoot at the 20 yard line, so I have to go there when no one else is there. You pay $2 per person for the indoor range.

Neither club permits drawing from the holster.

zena
12-27-2009, 03:18 PM
The range in my home town is all outdoors with clay, skeet, 25 yard pistol, 2 action pistol pits, 200yds and 100yds. I travel 1 1/2 hours to use 2 other ranges. One is multi-use (including indoor) but I primarily use it for action shooting practice and competition--6 pits. The other is for long range, out to 500 yds for when I feel the need to do my sniper thing. :84:

mr surveyor
12-27-2009, 04:00 PM
our range is private membership with electronic gate that opens with magnetic membership card from 6:30 am til 9:00 pm, 365 days per year... unless the Sabine River is flooded. We have four rifle ranges at the "lower" range, distances from 150 yards to 300 yards, three of which have concrete shooting benches/tables and one for action shooting (full auto o.k. on this one). The rifle ranges all have sheds over the concrete shooting floors. The "lower" range also has the two pistol ranges, onw with a three sided building, one with just a shed over the concrete shooting floor. One of the rifle ranges has flood lights for night shooting, both the pistol ranges have night lighting. There are also bathroom facilities for the "lower" range. The "upper" range is where the 5 stand shotgun and trap facilities are located. The electronic machines are only in operation during organized club shoots, but there are manually cocking throwers set up for the 5 stand as well as a couple out in the open. These facilities are also lighted for night shooting. Recently, 5 new shooting pits (actually berms) of various lengths were added on the "upper" range for either rifle or pistol, with distances from 35 yards to 150 yards. Still working on concrete slabs and shelter covers on these. There was talk of a 1000 yard range, but I think the safety factor reduced the idea to 600 yards. It's still in the planning stage. The great thing about this place is that members can drive in anytime during the operational hours, light up the range, turn on the fans if needed, and have a ball. We have target boards on all the rifle ranges made of 2x4 frames with celotex (black fiber building board) "boards", where shooters can staple their own paper targets. The pistol ranges have 24"x30" cardboard sheets available (tape or draw your own target on) to hang from the cross wires at 3, 7, 15, or 25 yards). There are range officers keeping an eye out during the very active days like weekends and holidays, but for the most part it's all on the honor system and members are expected to know a little something about safety. Generally, being in somewhat "rural" Northeast Texas, folks here still seem to an inborn respect for the power of firearms and handle themselves accordingly, although you do still have to deal with the occassional asshat that thinks melting the barrel of his AK or AR with wild spray and pray fire is the cool thing to do.

And....it's all out in the sticks, only 10 minutes from my front porch. Pretty amazing for only $75 per year and proving your NRA membership!

I tried to NOT respond to this thread because I know I can't resist long winded bragging about "MY" range:)

surv

(before the "recent political unpleasantness", my friends and I could afford at least three trips to the range per week.... I miss those days)

medezyner
12-28-2009, 08:48 AM
I’m a fairly new member at a club outside of Concord, NH. We host a fair amount of practical shooting matches, IDPA, Steel Challenge, 3 Gun. In the past Lethal Force Institute (Massad Ayoob) conducted training there. I’d really like to get LFI training when it comes in my area. We’ve got a pretty active archery membership with an indoor range. Indoor pistol, multiple outdoor pistol and high power rifle ranges round out the facility nicely.

Chief Joseph
12-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I just drive 30 miles out to the Tillamook forest myself. I don't bother with fees, just gas and mileage.

Dietrich
12-28-2009, 01:44 PM
I shoot at an outdoor range about 20 miles from my home and an indoor range about 1 mile away.The outdoor range has a pistol range,a 200 meter rifle range and one skeet field. All members have the combination to the gate and you are your own safety officer.The people abide by the rules very well.Nice group.Shooting times are from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 P.M. Mon.thru Sat.Noon to 10:00 p.m. Sun.
The indoor range has limited hours of operation,usually has a long waiting list especially on weekends, and I only use it in inclement weather.Total annual cost for both is about $150.00. :)

WVleo
12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
I have My own range set-up outside at the In-laws place about 10 miles from My house. Use to belong to the Izzack Walton leauge, but that was driving to Md everytime I wanted to shoot, not worth it for Me. Would love to start a Pistol range in The Eastern Panhandle of Wv but I believe the Insurance and ventilation system would not make it financially viable.....WVleo

PaiN
12-29-2009, 04:03 AM
I've tried two "clubs" in the area....The first had so many matches and practices that was hard to find time to shoot there, the dues were expensive too. So I left and went to the second which was a "sportsmans club" that had a 10hour/year work requirement + dues. I was asked by the organizer of two plate shoots the place started up this year, to help out with setup and RO work, each would give me 3-4hours, which I gladly did. The "board" of this place decided the "organizer" couldn't authorize work hours....so all that time I put in got pissed out the window and it was late in the year. ....I called BS and did not go back or rejoin.
For me and the amount I shoot these "clubs" aren't worth the trouble....there are a few indoor and outdoor public ranges close by, I'd rather pay the $22/hour fee once or twice per month then have to deal with all the crap at these private clubs.

mx5fan
01-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I belong to a local gun club, it's all indoors (bummer), but the range is state of the art, clean, friendly and a nice place to shoot.

flyinglarry
01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I guess I am lucky not only do I get to shoot on my departments range but they supply the ammo. They close from Dec thru Feb and during that time a friend has a farm. He is into cowboy shooting and has a range all set up for everything from pistol thru shotgun to rifle. I buy the ammo there.

rtrider
01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I usually go with a friend or two to a Daytona Beach Muni outdoor muni range, about 70 miles from home. It's $5.00 for as long as you stay, you supply the ammo and targets. They supply the covered range shooting area with target areas of 7, 15, 25 and 50 yrds. Very well run and managed. We'll go early in the a.m. and usually do breakfast at a local greasy spoon after. Makes for a great Sunday morning before the NFL games start.

Vinikahr
01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
This is the nearest club I have but the requirements makes it so distance to join:

HOLLYWOOD RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB

MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS

An applicant must meet all Federal and State requirements for possessing a firearm. An applicant must be
sponsored by at least one Senior Member.

An applicant must maintain current membership in the NRA.

An applicant for membership must be a United States Citizen; however, a non-citizen may become an Associate
Member (no voting privileges and may not hold office) upon approval of the Executive Committee and the General
Membership.

An applicant must show competency in the handling of firearms in at least one of the following ways:

a. By holding a NRA Classification card.
b. By holding a NRA Instructor’s card.
c. By presenting a NRA Temporary Classification Book.
d. By showing evidence of having completed an NRA Firearms training course.
e. By firing in three (3) HRPC Club sponsored matches after receiving at least (1) hour of instruction in safety
and handling of firearms from a qualified Senior Member.
f. By being instructed by the Chief Instructor or a designated assistant who will determine the applicant’s ability
to meet any level of competency required by the HRPC.
g. By being a junior (under age 18) and being instructed by the Director of Juniors.

The Chief Instructor or a designated assistant must sign all applications to ensure that the applicant has received
instruction concerning HRPC range safety rules. The custodial parent(s) or guardian(s) must also sign all
applications for juniors.

An applicant must submit a signed application with a check or money order in the amount of $300.00 ($150 initiation
fee and $150 annual dues). If after June 30, the total amount will be $225.00. (Applicants for Junior Membership
pay only the annual $10.00 fee.) Application fees are non-refundable.

The Senior Member sponsoring the applicant will guide the applicant through the membership process to make sure
that the application is completed in full and that all requirements for membership have been met. No one acting as
an individual or who is a member of any group or organization having as its purpose(s), the overthrow by force and
violence of the Government of the United States, shall be eligible for membership. The Executive Committee and the
General Membership must approve all applicants for membership.

The Florida Sport Shooting Association (FSSA) is the National Rifle Association (NRA) state association. The FSSA
publishes the “Mixed Calibers”, an award winning NRA publication covering all the shooting sports as well as all
shooting issues. The HRPC believes all persons interested in the shooting sports would benefit from membership in
the FSSA.

For that reason I would go shoot the the other range which is a rental for about $13 a session or an hour depending if is full or people waiting, there is a second range that charges $10 per session but requires to buy at least one box of ammo.

jocko
01-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Our local Izaak Walton league has the onloy range aroud here for 75 miles. Outdoors but a nce range, no automatic weaons are allowed. Dues for my family is $125 a year. I probably use that range more than anyone in the club (combined) so I get my bucks worth. It is private with locked gate for members only. they keep the range neat an clean and can shoot as far back as 50 yards down to 10 yards.. Used to be able to go out to one of the old abandoned strip mines and shoot till the cows come home---NO MORE..