PDA

View Full Version : Need help to disassemble magazine

Romadoc
07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I want to disassemble a magazine for my K9. I cannot find any information on how to do so. Suggestions please and thanks in advance.

wyntrout
07-28-2011, 11:20 PM
It's pretty easy. I'm right-handed, so I hold the magazine bottom up in my left hand with the leading edge to the right. I use whatever is handy... a ballpoint pen(tip retracted) to press the release down while sliding the left thumb over the lock plate as the base slides to the right. Slide your thumb over with enough pressure that the base comes off easily and the lock plate doesn't go flying. Then you can use your right hand to ease the lock plate and spring out. The follower should fall out on its own once the other stuff is out of the way.
I run a folded paper towel or cloth through the magazine tube with the circular handle part of a simple cleaning rod to wipe down the inside. Use a dry lube or very little lube and wipe it fairly dry. I very lightly oil the spring with a cloth and put a bit around the follower. Don't use much of anything... drier is better.

For re-assembly, hold the tube as before and orient the follower correctly before dropping it in and letting it settle to the top of the tube... which is on the bottom.

Then take the spring and drop it into the tube with the free end toward the front of the tube and follower. This is important to give more lift to the front of the follower.

Now comes the fun part. Compress the spring into the tube and cover it with your left thumb and hold it down while sliding the properly oriented lock plate over the spring... the locking protrusion should be up and to the rear. I usually just put it on the free end of the spring and press both down until I can cover it with my thumb. Now depress the lock plate and spring so that you can slide the base on until the lock plate catch pops into the hole. On some mags, you might have to rap the back of the mag into your palm to set that part.

It's not hard, but sometimes the spring and/or the lock plate can slip and get away from you.

K9 parts and stuff here:

http://www.kahr.com/Parts/Kahr-K9.asp

Directions for this are on pages 22 and 23 of the manual... pdf file at

http://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf

Wynn:)

gb6491
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Great post Wynn!:)
Regards,
Greg

wyntrout
07-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks, Greg. I figured I could handle that one.

Wynn:D