PDA

View Full Version : My wait is almost over !!!

hdsteve69
08-12-2011, 09:58 AM
I got the call today from my local sheriff to let me know I have been approved for my CCW permit and I can come pick it up next Wed. the lady that does the finger prints and makes the phone calls said to come in an hour before they open to sign and pick up my permit so I dont miss to much work. It only took 79 days for the approval.

TucsonMTB
08-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Which state is that? We would probably whine about that kind of response time here in Arizona, but then we also do not require a permit for concealed carry, so we are doubly lucky. ;)

Edited to add: Sorry. I forgot my manners. Congratulations on your new permit. At least around here a CCW is both a source of pride, a great convenience when purchasing new firearms, and (sometimes) a good conversation starter if you get pulled over in traffic. Admittedly, I haven't been stopped in my car in recent memory, but guys who have been say it helps.

Bawanna
08-12-2011, 10:18 AM
I was so mad that hdsteve had to wait 79 days I couldn't even type. We require them here but you usually have them in well under 5 days and that's including mail delivery if you wish.

hdsteve69
08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Colorado ,they have to give you an answer in 90 days if they deny you ,you have 30 days to appeal either you to the sheriff or you can request to go in front of a judge for appeal and I found in the law books if they deny you and you chose to go in front of a judge you can get a lawyer and the county is responsible for the fees . I thought that was odd but it is actually in a current colorado law book.

Bawanna
08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
That's insane. As much as I'd love to be your neighbor in John Denver land I'm scratching Colorado off my list of places I'd like to live.
I'm leaning towards Wyoming anyhow if I can wrap my mind and body around some of the brutally cold winters.
Arizona is high on my list too but with the opposite weather factors. Would be wicked cool to be Gregs neighbor though. Definitely have to fix the air conditioning in the van though. A must for sure. Ain't real big on snakes, bugs and spiders that can kill ya either, fall me a fraidy cat if you will.

hdsteve69
08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Ya the black widows here will get ya. Colorado is not a bad place to live ,I know we have a long wait for ccw approval but its a pretty gun friendly state. We can open carry here legally, but I also am thinkin about moving away Tenessee is my top place right now, with the wife in the police academy and me thinking about going Tenessee has alot of openings for LEO at this time and I hear they pay you while your going through their 18 week police training program.

Bawanna
08-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Ya the black widows here will get ya. Colorado is not a bad place to live ,I know we have a long wait for ccw approval but its a pretty gun friendly state. We can open carry here legally, but I also am thinkin about moving away Tenessee is my top place right now, with the wife in the police academy and me thinking about going Tenessee has alot of openings for LEO at this time and I hear they pay you while your going through their 18 week police training program.

Well if you get close to Nashville say hi to Ryoung for me. Hes a law man there. I keep meaning to send him a letter. I got his address but no email or other contact info.
Real character that one.

hdsteve69
08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
It will probably be about 3yrs before we go . Trying to get money saved so we can move and not worry about that.

ltxi
08-12-2011, 08:12 PM
That's insane. As much as I'd love to be your neighbor in John Denver land I'm scratching Colorado off my list of places I'd like to live.
I'm leaning towards Wyoming anyhow if I can wrap my mind and body around some of the brutally cold winters.
Arizona is high on my list too but with the opposite weather factors. Would be wicked cool to be Gregs neighbor though. Definitely have to fix the air conditioning in the van though. A must for sure. Ain't real big on snakes, bugs and spiders that can kill ya either, fall me a fraidy cat if you will.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Reread what he said. Statute requirement for approval/determination is 90 days. Pre/post 2008 election frenzy for processing an initial application was about three weeks, at least in my county. Renewal is usually less. More important....note that upon successful appeal if denied, the state is liable for your legal fees. Anywhere else you know of where you're gonna get that?

Bawanna
08-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Gotta disagree with you on this one. Reread what he said. Statute requirement for approval/determination is 90 days. Pre/post 2008 election frenzy for processing an initial application was about three weeks, at least in my county. Renewal is usually less. More important....note that upon successful appeal if denied, the state is liable for your legal fees. Anywhere else you know of where you're gonna get that?

My point is we have basically the same time frame to approve or deny. This is one of the things I do at my dept. Background checks. It take 15 minutes with a coffee and powder room break.
It's black and white, you qualify or you don't. Some can get slightly more complicated due to poor record keeping in some areas that may require a short delay but in 15 years I've never had to delay.

Of course where some will dig to try to find disqualifing charges etc, I will do the opposite. People are sometimes shocked that I'm trying to help them get the CCW rather than create hurdles for them to jump.

If your denied here, also something that I think has only happened once and it was a very old felony conviction that the guy just forgot about I've never had a denial. That one guy I hooked up with an attorney to get his rights restored. Even that didn't take 90 days.

If your denied here no lawyer or any amount of legal fees is gonna help ya unless the disqualifing record is for some reason not correct, you aren't getting one and people not qualified rarely even apply.

TucsonMTB
08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Gentlemen! No need to disagree. Just be pleased that you do not "live" in California or New Jersey or one of the other states with ridiculous laws. It's all good! :D

Dietrich
08-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Gentlemen! No need to disagree. Just be pleased that you do not "live" in California or New Jersey or one of the other states with ridiculous laws. It's all good! :D
+1 on what TucsonMTB said.True,he had to wait a while but at least he is getting the chance to defend himself if need be.I applied for my cc permit about 2 hours before Obama was sworn in.The sheriff`s department had been swamped with applicants since the election but I got mine approved in about 4 weeks. I remember how I felt the day the phone call came telling me to come pick up my permit.It was like Christmas all over again.Let`s all just be happy for hdsteve and be prepared to answer any questions he may have.Congratulations pal.

Dietrich
08-13-2011, 08:59 AM
I should have asked this question in my earlier reply but what the hey.Steve,what do you plan to use as your first concealed carry handgun and what type of setup are you going to use?Pocket carry,IWB or what?

ltxi
08-15-2011, 07:44 PM

I've lived in both California and New Jersey....ironically I also have ex-wives native to both states. I no longer live in either place, or person, by pointed choice.

Back in the day....five minutes with the local NH small town police chief and $2 bought me a two year civilian permit. Twenty five years later, the same friendly chat on renewal bought me five years for $10...with fee waived. Some places it is/may still be that simple...like my current nonresident PA permit issued two years ago.

Not arguing with Bawanna. Just observing that the gun friendly sheriff in my own, very populous, Colorado county (Douglas) is doing the best he can. This is not a rural jurisdiction and under our law I consider a three week turnaround more than acceptable.

hdsteve69
08-16-2011, 06:26 AM
I should have asked this question in my earlier reply but what the hey.Steve,what do you plan to use as your first concealed carry handgun and what type of setup are you going to use?Pocket carry,IWB or what?
I will be carrying my Kahr K40 of course and will probably do so in a iwb holster of some type ,I have a few now that I am gonna try till I find something thats comfortable. I have been carrying open for 3 months now so its gonna be hard to get used to carrying concealed. I do have a hide-a-holster with cell phone holder attached thats pretty comfortable but I havent practiced any draws from it yet .My normal attire is 511 tac pants and a tucked in tshirt in the summer so my options will be slightly less than what I can carry in the winter,winter attire is almost always same pants and shirts just with a sweatshirt over it.

hdsteve69
08-16-2011, 06:34 AM
I will also be carrying a S&W bodyguard 380 on the ankle sometimes as back up sometimes as primary. I do have 6 to 12 other guns I can carry but I love my k40 to much to leave it sit in the gun safe getting abused by the other jealous guns in there.

TucsonMTB
08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Not arguing with Bawanna. Just observing that the gun friendly sheriff in my own, very populous, Colorado county (Douglas) is doing the best he can. This is not a rural jurisdiction and under our law I consider a three week turnaround more than acceptable.That makes sense.

Arizona CCW permits are issued at the state level by a section of the Department of Public Safety. DPS includes the State Highway Patrol. I believe that DPS can deliver permits more quickly and consistently with a dedicated staff than can most local sheriff's offices for whom there are competing priorities.