PDA

View Full Version : Brand New PM9, Couple Questions...

Copper&Black
12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey guys! I just purchased a PM9, 2 tone today and I’m real excited about it becoming my new ccw. I also purchased the Crimson Trace Laser and High Noon pocket holster to accommodate the pistol and the laser. They didn’t have the gun with night sights installed so I am also looking for a good source for the Trijicon night sights. Or should I just order them from the Kahr website for $71? I was planning on taking the gun to the range this weekend and was wondering what any of your opinions are on a break in process?
Thanks in advance for any help…
New Toy
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/CopperAndBlack/PM9.jpg

Cobra21
12-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Congrats on your purchase. As for ordering directly from Kahr, I might consider a different source for your accessories purchase. I made an order on 04DEC for some accessories for my P380 and have yet to see anything including a shipping notice. :mad:

jocko
12-30-2009, 02:37 AM
COPPER AND BLACK. You have found the best kahr fourm out there. I have aent you a PM. Nice gun, now just shoot it like you stole it and welcome aboard..

bikerbill
01-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Congrats on the new gun ... I've had mine for several years and with about 600 rds through it it still shoots like new and has NEVER failed in any way. I load mine with Hornady's new Critical Defense rounds, which seem to work very well in my gun. I can shoot fairly tight groups at SD distances and personally love the stock sights. It's my main carry gun, in a pocket when it's hot and in a Fobus paddle holster, cross-draw, when it cools off. Have fun, you've made a great purchase.

Bawanna
01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Sweet, I love the looks of the two tone guns. I agree with bikerbill, the stock sights are just fine, use the night sight money to feed the thing. Agree with jocko also, dang you guys are smart, shoot it like you stole it. Oil the shiney spots a bit when you tear it down the first time.
Enjoy.:yo:

jocko
01-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Sweet, I love the looks of the two tone guns. I agree with bikerbill, the stock sights are just fine, use the night sight money to feed the thing. Agree with jocko also, dang you guys are smart, shoot it like you stole it. Oil the shiney spots a bit when you tear it down the first time.
Enjoy.:yo:

shiny spots, indicate contact, Indeed oil or grease, great idea, something to watch for during break in also..

gr8mpg
01-02-2010, 03:42 PM
When u order the night sights with a Kahr, its roughly $100 extra, at least thats what I was quoted. I've seen the sights before on some internet sites but I was thinking they had to be pressed in. I presume a gunsmith could do it or u could send the gun back to Kahr but not sure how much it would cost. When I got my son's pm-40, I got it with regular sights mainly because of a long back order for the night sights and was thinking that I could just spend a little extra for a crimson trace laser sight.
The p-9 or pm-9 (excuse my ignorance) seems to be a real sweet gun and was thinking about getting my wife one as her S&W 38 spec. has a pretty good kick to it.

jocko
01-02-2010, 03:53 PM
When u order the night sights with a Kahr, its roughly $100 extra, at least thats what I was quoted. I've seen the sights before on some internet sites but I was thinking they had to be pressed in. I presume a gunsmith could do it or u could send the gun back to Kahr but not sure how much it would cost. When I got my son's pm-40, I got it with regular sights mainly because of a long back order for the night sights and was thinking that I could just spend a little extra for a crimson trace laser sight.
The p-9 or pm-9 (excuse my ignorance) seems to be a real sweet gun and was thinking about getting my wife one as her S&W 38 spec. has a pretty good kick to it.

has no troubles installing new night sights on kahrs. The trouble is getting the old factory sights off the slide. Without a good sight pusher, it is a real ***** to even move those factory sights. One can just send his slide in to kahr through regular mail for little of nothing in cost and pay kahr to take um out. That way no damage is done to the slide. Even some smitty's hate those kahr factory sights to move or remove..

ltxi
01-02-2010, 04:10 PM
has no troubles installing new night sights on kahrs. The trouble is getting the old factory sights off the slide. Without a good sight pusher, it is a real ***** to even move those factory sights. One can just send his slide in to kahr through regular mail for little of nothing in cost and pay kahr to take um out. That way no damage is done to the slide. Even some smitty's hate those kahr factory sights to move or remove..

I've about given up on replacing Kahr sights.....even with a really good sight pusher it's a crap shoot as to whether or not you can get them off. You really need a press. As I understand it, they 609(?) Loctite them in place. It's a pita to ship the slide back and pay for the install, but I've come to the conclusion it's probably worth it.

jocko
01-02-2010, 05:19 PM
totally agree, no need for those sights to be in that hard.....

Mayor B
01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
hi copper, I have a Crimson Trace & the Mr.softy from high-noon holsters on my pm-9, great combo you'll be very pleased

mx5fan
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Welcome Copper, great little shooter you go there, I hope you love it as much as I love mine. As far as things to know before going to the range, I would suggest you take a look at the Kahr Video on how to disassemble and reassemble and then the lube diagram provided below. The last, but not least, once you clean and lube your new baby, you may want to rack the slide a couple hundred times just to loosen things up a bit prior to your range visit.

Kahr Arms / Video (http://www.kahr.com/OR-1G.html)

Dietrich
01-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Hello Copper,I had Kahr install night sights on my PM9 back in November.Took about two weeks and total cost was around $125.00. Well worth the money and no hassel on my end.Easy.

Copper&Black
01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome, and the info
I took it to the range yesterday and shot 250 rounds. The Gun performed great, no FTF or FTE, however when my girlfriend was firing it around round 40 the slide didn't stay open after the last round had been fired. I could not get the same thing to happen to me for another 210 rounds. Do you guys think this is something I should call kahr about or is it just apart of the break in quirks?
It took me a sec. to get used to the small grip, the sights, and the recently installed Crimson Trace that has yet to be fully adjusted. But toward the end I really stated getting into a zone and got a nice group on a 4" target from 25' distance.
Here is the current setup, Just installed the crimson trace, and I have it in the desantis pocket holster i bought for carry at my shop. The high noon has yet to arrive, and I even ordered a crossbreed minituck just for the hell of it.

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/CopperAndBlack/P1020610.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/CopperAndBlack/P1020606.jpg

The 4" Target from 25'...not bad...
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/CopperAndBlack/Target.jpg

jocko
01-05-2010, 08:28 AM
quite possable you might have been riding the slide lock lever and not realizing it, that will also cause no slide lock, and sometimes even premature slide lock. The gun is OK, I would not call that a malfunction like a ftf or fte.

jocko
01-05-2010, 08:28 AM
quite possable you might have been riding the slide lock lever and not realizing it, that will also cause no slide lock, and sometimes even premature slide lock. The gun is OK, I would not call that a malfunction like a ftf or fte. With a CTon that gun your gruops are awesome.