PDA

View Full Version : Readiness Question

jmk1138
08-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Here's something I've been thinking about, so let me know your input:

I carry a pm9 and keep a CZ with a 26rd magazine and a light attached in a drawer safe in the nightstand (little ones around). I can get to and move with that relatively quickly. I'd like to be able to have an extra magazine for malfunctions (Question: "How many back-up plans do you need?" Answer: "One more.").

One thought I've had is to keep a utility belt available with holster, magazines, etc. that can be quickly put on over my pjs. I just cannot come up with an idea as to how to make it quickly accessible and safely stored. This has got to be a "grab and go" situation (my little ones sleep downstairs).

Bill K
08-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Not sure I'm answering your question but here is what I do. No kids so at knight the gun I carried that day gets put in the night stand draw right next to my side of the bed. My spare mag is place right on on top of the holstered gun. The draw is left open through the night.

Not an expert but don't like the idea of a light mounted on the gun.

Bawanna
08-25-2011, 02:38 PM
I think a vest, Woolrich or 511, the ones with all the pockets would work for your thinking. I wear a Woolrich every day, mostly just as CCW camoflage, carry nothing in the pockets.
A vest hangin in the closet or on a hook out of little ones reach could hold a spare mag, a FLASHLIGHT (most important to me), some Zip ties in case you have help and take one alive. I don't recommend cuffing solo unless the bad guy is unconcious.

Be a good catch all for just about anything you might want to add.

Worth pondering anyhow.

Bawanna
08-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Not sure I'm answering your question but here is what I do. No kids so at knight the gun I carried that day gets put in the night stand draw right next to my side of the bed. My spare mag is place right on on top of the holstered gun. The draw is left open through the night.

Not an expert but don't like the idea of a light mounted on the gun.

Curious why you don't like the idea of a light mounted on the gun.

I like a separate light to seek but the light on the gun is incredibly handy when you've identified friend or foe. Mine has a momentary on off so I can look and then off or I can lock it on. The blinding effect in the dark is a huge advantage too.

For a nightstand grab and go, a gun mounted light really isn't a bad thing to me but I'm curious about your thoughts, maybe I'm all wrong in mine.

Bill K
08-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Curious why you don't like the idea of a light mounted on the gun.

I like a separate light to seek but the light on the gun is incredibly handy when you've identified friend or foe. Mine has a momentary on off so I can look and then off or I can lock it on. The blinding effect in the dark is a huge advantage too.

For a nightstand grab and go, a gun mounted light really isn't a bad thing to me but I'm curious about your thoughts, maybe I'm all wrong in mine.

To point the light you must point the gun. That bump in the night might be a family member coming home unexpectedly or maybe sleep walking. I like the flashlight neck-indexing technique and with the gun positioned like in the other thread, pointed down and high against the body. Some much of the many SD & HD choices have both pluses and minuses associated with them, guess we need try a few and see which works and makes most sense.

OldLincoln
08-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Jmk, you're giving the gun end of it a lot of thought which is good. How hardened are your doors against kick-in? Best to keep 'em out than have to defend on your turf, especially with little ones in the initial conflict zone. A good security door protecting the access would be a help and if attempted to broach should make enough noise to give you time to react. Most likely however is the BG's would go elsewhere which is best.

jmk1138
08-25-2011, 04:03 PM
OL,

Got the security door. Got positive locks on the windows. Got an alarm. Got signs saying we've got an alarm. Got a long stick in the track on the sliding-glass door. Garage door is on an opener, but there are three locks on the interior door. Everything is always locked when we're home (regardless of whether we're awake or asleep).

As to the weapon-mounted light, there is the concern of Bill, but keep the finger off the trigger. I know the safety rule about where it's pointed, but ...

It's a DA/SA weapon and, ...
I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but I use my trigger finger to activate the light (either flash it or click it on) so I cannot be doing both, and ..
If I'm jumping up from bed (and don't have a holster -- see my concerns), I want at least one hand available. I've got the honking-big flashlight in the same drawer if there's no time for the safe.

kylet
08-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Do you live in a dangerous area?

Seems like a hellofalot of security... Not that thets bad! Just curious.

OldLincoln
08-26-2011, 08:15 AM
With all that I'd say you are prepared. Time to let go and take a deep breath feeling secure in your home. You've already done more than most security minded people and with the exterior hardened nobody's going to mess with your house. Sleep well.

wyntrout
08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Safe areas... still, you guys want to be thinking about "safe" areas... like GUN-FREE areas... the best places to go "shopping" when you want to "share" your fellow man's stuff. :rolleyes:

If you want valuable loot, you go where the people are well-off, and complacent... in the "safe" areas... where you can find the good stuff and your victims were thinking they lived in one of these mythical "safe areas". It happens all of the time.

It's like thinking that you're prepared for a gunfight because you can take your time and shoot small groups in stationary PAPER targets under controlled conditions without return fire... lots of luck with that!

Wynn:)

jmk1138
08-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Let's talk about "safe areas."

First, a question: "How many back-up plans do you need?"
Answer -- "One more."

I live in a very nice neighborhood with a couple of empty homes that were left empty when people decided to walk out on their mortgages (I bought before home prices went crazy). Last week, my neighbor's very nice Jeep was stolen out of his driveway, while he was in his den watching it happen through the front window with the light on. A couple of weeks ago, purse-snatching at the Target that is only 2 miles away became so bad that the parking lot is now being monitored by several guards on segways and golf carts.

Statistically speaking, these are abnomalies. My life and my family's well-being, however, are not subject to an infinite number of repetitions so as to prove the Law of Large Numbers.

The thread has diverted. I'm really looking for some input on one of my back-up plans.

wyntrout
08-27-2011, 08:24 AM
I got one of those 2" black nylon web belts with holster, several mag holders, and pouches for cell phone, light, pepper/cs spray and stun gun... just in case! I have it set up for the S&W 645 with three 8-round mags. I keep this in one of the drawers in my nightstand at the side of my bed. The pistol is in the bookcase headboard with an extra mag and light. Costco has been selling these 150/160? lumen 3xAAA Cree LED "taclights" 3 for $19.95 and these suckers are BRIGHT and throw a light for several hundred yards... IMPRESSIVE... and I got 3 for $15 when they were on sale there. I will get more when they drop the price again. Those things are phenomenal for the money!!

I usually just grab the S&W 645, an extra mag from the headboard, and a tac light to check disturbances outside. I've sure done that a few times. Now I can check the monitors, too.

I have a lot of Uniden wireless security cameras and can see the front and rear with several different cameras. I used those because I didn't have to run wire all over the house in the attic, just plug in wall transformers near the cameras.

I usually carry one small 3.5" monitor for the camera above the front door when I go to the bathroom so I can keep an eye on the front drive and my sidewalk to the front door. It's battery backed or powered, so I can unplug it and move it around... like to the bathroom or by my TV chair. I also have driveway alerters. I have a cheap one in service and a Chamberlain set of two to install... whenever I get a round "tuit", for front AND rear. The cameras and monitors are using Spread Spectrum "scrambling" on the 2.4 GHz frequency and are only affected by the microwave, not my wireless router or bluetooth equipment. I LOVE gadgets... almost as much as guns.:D

I'm not paranoid or anything... just don't want anyone sneaking up on me!

Wynn:D

TominCA
08-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Wow - that's a setup! I have a kimber 45 in a nightstand drawer and my wife has an S&W 38 snubby. No kids at home - but when he is here from college he has a GI 1911.

We really don't need these anymore - we live in a good neighborhood - but for a while we had a crack house next door - and the small town police were very bad ay getting rid of them. They finally moved because one of the neighbors paid them a visit with a pump shotgun. I guess they thought the neighborhood wans't safe any longer and they left.

wyntrout
08-28-2011, 05:04 PM
See!? You have thugs with shotguns wandering around!:eek:

Wynn:D

TominCA
08-29-2011, 10:56 AM
I think of that neighbor as a very good "Neighborhood Watch" system.

wyntrout
08-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Unless he decides YOU're a problem!:D

I understand your feelings, but the guy could have been shot with justification, approaching a home (CASTLE) like that! I know that I would have dropped him had I seen him approaching like that, AND if he raised the shotgun in my direction at all.

Some guys get emboldened by actions like that, that SEEM to have the implicit approval of neighbors like you, but it's a short step away to more boldness and bullying others.

I remember reading about a town that was terrorized by a bully... everyone hated him... finally someone blew him away with a rifle... shot in the back. I don't believe the shooter was ever caught. I have never put up with bullies, and if I had one encounter of such, he wouldn't see me coming the next time we "met".

It's like those movies where people are being terrorized by guys on bikes with chains beating on their car... Mad Max comes to mind... Lessee, 3 to 4,000-poundcar against two-wheelers... "problem" over quickly with a few swerves or brake applications... and backing up as necessary, to eliminate recurrences.

I watch out my window while sitting here and note what's going on on our little quiet corner. I see people every once in a while that could be casing the area looking for prospective "shopping" opportunities. I have responded in a few cases, but more with the city park behind our house. Thankfully, we don't have crime houses near us, so that hasn't been a problem, but I still wouldn't do what that guy did. like I said, he's lucky that he didn't get shot, justifiably! And they could have had him thrown in jail for a bunch of major charges!

I'm not disagreeing that the result was desirable, but the means lead to anarchy or a kind of "tyranny" as well.

JMHO

Wynn:yo: