PDA

View Full Version : CW9 - PM9 - hard to take down & Clean?

dagray
01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I am a woman and pretty new to firearms & concealed carry. I have only had a permit for about 9 mths, and have been shooting at the range in our area. I purchased a Ruger P95 right after receiving my permit. However, it is a bit large for everyday carrying.

I have been looking at the Kahr CW9 or PM9, but have been watching their take down and reassembly process video, and this looks like it's much more complicated than my Ruger.

I need something I can easily do on my own as my husband has no interest in firearms. Are the Kahr products as difficult as the video makes them appear? Also, how does Kahr stand behind their products.

My reason for purchasing a Ruger pistol was everyone raved about how they backed their products.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

jocko
01-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Kahrs are not hard to take down, that being said, it would be nice if you could find a rental that has kahrs and ask them to show you first hand the take down techniques. I think you are doing the right thing by comingon here and askng. Just wish some of us could help you.

What cold be har dofr some is not hard for others but my bet is once you are showed the process you cold do it with ease. being u have the P95, I would suggest if you buy a kahr to buy the PM9 but the VW is certainoy a nice handgun also, You won't go wrong in either. Maybe even a dealer would show you how to take a kahr down before you buy it from him. A good offer to him would be, heh, if you show me how andif I can do it freely, then I will buy it. Nodoubt IMO you willalways hav eotuse the slide lock lever to load that first round as kahr recoil springs are stout but the kahr manual states to use that method to load the first round anyhow...I know I didn't help u here much either..

ripley16
01-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Some Kahr models are easier than others. The CW is one of the easy ones, as is the T9, TP9 and P45 that I shoot. The K9 is substancially more difficult than the other three. I don't have a PM. The ease or difficulty lies in how the slide release pin is removed. In the CW, T an TP, once the two witness marks are aligned, then the pin is easily puched out with only finger pressure. The K pin is held much tighter and requires I push the pin with a tool.

Dietrich
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.When I first saw the video for the takedown process of the PM9,it made my stomach a bit queasy.I was very reluctant to try it but decided to take my time and do it step by step as it was written in the owners manual.After it was over,I wondered if I had missed something because it was so much easier than I expected. You may want to find someone who is well versed in firearms to sit in with you for the first time just as a morale booster but if you remain calm and follow the instructions,you`ll be just fine. As far as Kahr`s customer service goes,it is top notch as far as I can tell.I`ve never had a problem with my PM9 but from what I`ve read here from others,Kahr backs their products exceptionally well.Nice,friendly customer service.

dagray
01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much

dagray
01-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks so much ... :) I appreciate the quick response & valuable information from someone that was hesitant as well.

jocko
01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks so much ... :) I appreciate the quick response & valuable information from someone that was hesitant as well.

u did the right thing, you came on here and ask, and as u can see there are those who can help you to get over the fear of doing it. I do think the manual explains it even better. Once those two witness marks are lined up the pin will come out. It won't fall out mind you but with alittle leverage or tap on the right side of the gun on the pin that protrudes out of the right side of the grip/frame. it will pop right out. some people have even made alittle wood block that once those witness marks are line dup, just dropthe block in the slide/breecvh opening and then it willstay in that position while u then pop the slide lock lever/pin out..

mx5fan
01-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi Gray,

Another woman shooter here and I recently purchased the PM9 and love the gun. I've not had one issue with it and have now put approx. 250 rounds through the little pistol. It's actually much easier to take down and put back together then it sounds. I took my time and once I took it apart once okay maybe twice, I found it to be very easy. The other thing is once it's broken in a bit, it's even easier to take down. I can now push the slide release button with my finger and pop it out from the frame. I have small hands and find the PM9 very easy to hold, shoot and of course, carry. I've had a Keltec PF9 (let's just say...not my cup of tea), a Bersa .380 CC (nice gun, but again just not quite right for me) and now the PM9. For concealed carry it can't be beat. If you do decide to purchase the PM9 I'd be happy to walk you through the take down and reassembly. I don't know anything about the CW9 so I can't help there, but PM9...don't hesitate to ask.

Oh and a big welcome to the forum, always glad to see another woman here in the land of Kahr.

unclenunzie
01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I will echo the other folks responses, my PM9 had been easy for me to field strip since I bought it. I was a little put off at first with the idea that I might need something to press the slide stop pin out (takedown), but discovered only finger pressure was needed. In fact this makes it easier to take down than my Ruger LCP, which requires a tool to pry out the pin.

If you don't have the full takedown opportunity already suggested, I recommend at least trying to line up the witness marks in a gun store. The recoil spring is pretty strong on my PM9, and you want to make sure you are comfortable with the needed hand strength.

Good luck and stay safe,

unclenunzie

mx5fan
01-04-2010, 08:33 AM
I recommend at least trying to line up the witness marks in a gun store. The recoil spring is pretty strong on my PM9, and you want to make sure you are comfortable with the needed hand strength.
unclenunzie

One last thing: In order to line up the witness marks (2 little indent lines on the slide and the frame) I would suggest holding the PM9 as Kahr shows in their video, it makes it really easy to pull the slide back far enough to align the marks and turn the pistol over to push out the slide release pin, especially for those with smaller hands.