View Full Version : When should I consider replacing some parts in my CM9?

Scoundrel
09-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I remember reading up on the CM9 before I purchased it. One of the negative things that was called out was that the recoil springs "wear out" after a couple thousand rounds, but require a couple hundred rounds to break in properly, so there is a "short window of reliability".

I have not experienced any reliability problems (except bad 7rd mag), and I am a firm subscriber to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. However, I now have a couple of thousand rounds through my CM9. I still consider it "new" though. I clean and lube it after every range trip. It looks new, it fires like new, and I still smile whenever I pick it up.

So what is the story on replacing parts? Specifically the recoil spring assembly, but also any other parts that should be replaced?

Should I wait until I start having failures before I even think about this? Should I pre-order a part so that I have it on hand for when problems start?

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 11:41 AM
That's exactly what I would do although I haven't done it myself. I'd order up a recoil spring, I think you have to get the whole assembly but all you need is the outer spring. Keep it on hand. Not much else to be concerned with. Some like to swap mag springs periodically but I don't, unless there is an issue.

I think they recommend 12 to 1500 rounds and the break in really isn't like the initial break in. The parts and slide frame are all mated up, it's just the new spring taking its set. Not a big deal.

I too am of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it school. FWI, I've never replaced a recoil spring in any of my personal autos. I have a few dept guns just cause. I plan to order several recoil springs hopefully in the near future since I know Murphy will curse me now that it's come up.

I've not had any issues, like you I clean and lube every range or shooting trip and even between if it's a long period.

JFootin
09-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I've heard it said by folks wiser and more experienced than myself, that if it is a range gun, wait until it malfunctions before replacing the spring. But if it is your SD carry weapon, go ahead and change it.

Ressom
09-24-2011, 12:20 PM
This is a good question, and I'd like to know the answer myself.

I was thinking on being prepared and ordering the spring maintenance kit Kahr sells:
http://www.kahr.com/Gun-Maintenance/Kahr-PM-Series-Spring-Maintenance-Kits-PM9-NEW-STYLE.asp

Scoundrel
09-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Mine is both, range and carry.

But, but, why should I have to replace the springs? The gun should just work! After all, I paid $500 for it! Replacing the springs after 2000 rounds is expensive! I mean, that spring assembly is $23 + SEVEN BUCKS for SHIPPING! Can you believe that? I mean, THIRTY BUCKS for maintenance after having put $450 worth of ammo through it!

Uh, wait. Hmm. Never mind.

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 01:36 PM
This is a good question, and I'd like to know the answer myself.

I was thinking on being prepared and ordering the spring maintenance kit Kahr sells:
http://www.kahr.com/Gun-Maintenance/Kahr-PM-Series-Spring-Maintenance-Kits-PM9-NEW-STYLE.asp

That kit might be nice as a doomsday not able to get anymore parts scenario but really the only part you'll most like ever need is the recoil spring. If you goof and mess up the take down lever spring that might be handly I guess too but most of that kit you'd never need.

Not sure what the individual spring prices would be, maybe it's a deal but 2 or 3 recoil springs and a take down lever spring, would probably be all you'd ever need and most likely not even that.

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Mine is both, range and carry.

But, but, why should I have to replace the springs? The gun should just work! After all, I paid $500 for it! Replacing the springs after 2000 rounds is expensive! I mean, that spring assembly is $23 + SEVEN BUCKS for SHIPPING! Can you believe that? I mean, THIRTY BUCKS for maintenance after having put $450 worth of ammo through it!

Uh, wait. Hmm. Never mind.

I consider everygun I own as a potential carry gun, plus I just don't like guns that don't work. I have an old Match Target Woodsman that has an issue resetting the striker, drives me nuts. I'll get it working some day but it still is a thorn in my side.

As for replacing springs in a gun that cost about 1 payment on a new car, well please lets just chaulk it up to walk or make payments and not go there again. PLEASE?

Scoundrel
09-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I consider everygun I own as a potential carry gun, plus I just don't like guns that don't work. I have an old Match Target Woodsman that has an issue resetting the striker, drives me nuts. I'll get it working some day but it still is a thorn in my side.

As for replacing springs in a gun that cost about 1 payment on a new car, well please lets just chaulk it up to walk or make payments and not go there again. PLEASE?

:)

I forgot the [satire] tag on that. I was making fun of internet whiners. My point was that a replacement spring set equals roughly the cost of two boxes of ammo (three, if you buy it bulk). Whining about spending that amount on springs (that I don't need to install yet, even) after spending 15 times that much on ammo is just dumb.

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 01:56 PM
:)

I forgot the [satire] tag on that. I was making fun of internet whiners. My point was that a replacement spring set equals roughly the cost of two boxes of ammo (three, if you buy it bulk). Whining about spending that amount on springs (that I don't need to install yet, even) after spending 15 times that much on ammo is just dumb.

I figured as much but we've had a wholesale run on powerwhining lately and truth be told it gets really really boring. I don't dig boring. Jocko, it don't take a special shovel not to dig boring.
Fun= Good
Powerwhining = Boring.