PDA

View Full Version : P9 Question

martywj
01-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Hello All! I am new to this forum having just bought my wife a used P9 at the Fort Worth gun show this past weekend. She had been waiting a CW9, but our FFL was having trouble getting one from his distributors. So we found this P9 at very goodprice , and grabbed it. Sorry I don't have any pics of it yet.
We took it to the range last night and she really likes it. Good shooter and it appears to be more accurate then the CW9 rental gun she had previously tried. She ran a little over 100 rounds through it of various 115 gr FMJ range ammo. She had not have jams of any kind.
The one problem she did was the pin that looks like the the trigger pivot pin kept backing out. She would catch before it came out completely and push it back in. How can we secure this in place? I don't want to use any kind of glue for fear it might get into the trigger mechanism, and we might have to at some point remove the pin.
Has anyone had this problem before? How did you fix it? It appears to be plastic so I thought about taking a punch and pining it over some on each side?
Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Hammer
01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
If your Wife is going to carry the P9 for personal defense, I would at minimum, take it to a gunsmith. Even better, contact Kahr and make arrangements to send it back them and get it fixed right.
No need to have any issue's when it HAS to be right.

Hammer

In-Yo-Grill
01-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Provide pics if you can. I've never heard of the trigger pivot pin backing out before. I'd alert Kahr of the problem and send it back to have them fix it CCW gun or not.

martywj
01-06-2010, 08:14 AM
I got this picture from the the Kahr website and marked which pin I am talking about.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/martywj/guns/Kahrp9.jpg

jocko
01-06-2010, 08:14 AM
wow that is really strange. That trigger pin is steel and it is even held in on the left side by a small (unnoticeable) pin that goes up next to the trigger guard and actually locks that pin into place. Don't use any glue, and indeed you are going to have to get ahold of Kahr, as that gun needs to go back to be repaired properly.

call customer service and ask for IAN and explain what is going on. I would not even mention that you bought the gun used. It almost sounds to me like someone has been into that gun and did not get it back properly.

PM sent also.

500KV
01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
I got this picture from the the Kahr website and marked which pin I am talking about.

This problem has been reported before.
If you hold the gun upside down, right next to the trigger you should see a small hole for the retaining pin that secures the Trigger Pivot Pin.
Sounds as though that pin has possibly been lost.
The small retaining pin is not shown on Kahrs detail however it shouldn't be hard to obtain one from Kahr or fabricate one.
Someone will hopefully post a picture of what I'm trying to describe.

martywj
01-06-2010, 08:40 AM
I called Kahr, and don't know who I spoke to. But, the guy looked up serial # and the gun was manufactured in August of 2000. I told him what the problem was, he said something about the spring loosing its tension over time and needing to replaced and the pin loosing it tension also??

I am at work and don't have the gun with me. I called my wife to look at see if the trigger pivot pin retaining was there and of course she can't find it. I will look when I go home for lunch.

jocko
01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
well it has to go back and you will be out postage both ways plus labor to fix the gun.Not buying the spring loosing tension stuff, that has nothing to do with the pin walking. IMO what 500KV is saying could be true. that pin that holds the trigger pivot pin could be gone or moved out where it is not holding the trigger pivot pin in place. I have heard of that pin backing out alittle even but never coming all the way out . I would not let a smitty do any work on it either IMO. It needs to go back and a damn shame for IMO your are looking at $125 + for postage and service on the gun. I am always relunctant to buy a used gun at a gun show. A local dealer is one thing, at least I can go back to him with my complaint but once out of that gun show, that dealer is long gone. again a shame. I still think someone has been into that trigger area and maye that is why it was traded even. Who knows???

If you bought it right, then send it back and tell kahr to also do any upgrades that have since been done since originally made, Might as well do it all right and be done with it...

martywj
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
wow that is really strange. That trigger pin is steel and it is even held in on the left side by a small (unnoticeable) pin that goes up next to the trigger guard and actually locks that pin into place.

This problem has been reported before.
If you hold the gun upside down, right next to the trigger you should see a small hole for the retaining pin that secures the Trigger Pivot Pin.
Sounds as though that pin has possibly been lost.
The small retaining pin is not shown on Kahrs detail however it shouldn't be hard to obtain one from Kahr or fabricate one.
Someone will hopefully post a picture of what I'm trying to describe.

I went home for lunch and looked for the retaining pin that you both speak of. I cannot see it. Do any have pictures of where it supposed to be? Maybe this version didn't have the retaining pin (manufature date August 2000).

jocko
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I went home for lunch and looked for the retaining pin that you both speak of. I cannot see it. Do any have pictures of where it supposed to be? Maybe this version didn't have the retaining pin (manufature date August 2000).

look on the side where you have that arrow and it should have a very very tine hole in the bottom there. Right directly under the point of the arrow even... Have no idea of what that 10 years old P( had there either. If there is absolutey no hole there and trust me it is very very small indeed, then for sure it needs to go back to kahr to get fixed correctly.

It is direclty beneath that pin and close to the side of the trigger but stillon the grip itself.......

500KV
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
My photo skills are sadly lacking but maybe you can see the retaining pin location from these.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/500KV_album/IMG_0147.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/500KV_album/IMG_0146.jpg

martywj
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Well my photo skills are about equal with yours. Here our gun with no pin. I can plainly see the pin you are talking about in your pics.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/martywj/guns/100_4717.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/martywj/guns/100_4720.jpg

500KV
01-07-2010, 06:22 AM
I see what you're talking about.
You said you thought your trigger pivot pin was plastic.
Mine is definitely metal.

I'd be tempted to install a retaining pin, or have a gunsmith install one.

Kahr probably went to the retaining pin to eliminate the problem you're having.

jocko
01-07-2010, 07:10 AM
no doubt what kahr has told you might indeed be true. It just might be a plastic trigger pin and ur P9 certainly doesn't have any retaining pin hole either. I certainly learned alot from your photo and conversation with the kahr people. they have indeed made a change to keep that pin from walking.. I would not let a smitty touch it. You can do two things here IMO. Kahr no doubt has a jig exactlys et up to drill that retaining pin hole correctly and at the right angle.

#1 If it is a polymer pin, then push it out somewhat but not all the way to release all the stuff in the trggier assembly and clean it with alcohol or a greaseless cleaner. and then put a drop of crazy glue on that pin and drive it back it. It will either stay put after that or it will walk again THEN
#2 SEND IT BACK TO KAHR AND LET THEM WORK ON IT. I would think they might install a new steel trigger pin and drill that area for their retaining pin

Either way,the first way to me is the way to try, for at worst you can screw it up and it has to go back anyways as maybe the crazy glue did not hold (Ithink it will though) and kahr will fix it right at a substantial cost to you.

I know from past experience with walking frame pins on my kt's and Ruger lcp, that a drop of crazy glue stopped it once and for all, but yet if Ihad to get that pin out one good hit with a punch and it popped loose OK.

martyW. PM sent...

In-Yo-Grill
01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I took some pics of my P9. I hope this helps...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/P1070024.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/P1070025.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/P1070022.jpg

jocko
01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
that pin needs to be set deeper in the grip. Mine did that once and I just took a small punch and reset it and it never walked back out again.. It should be flush with the frame..

Nice photo though.

martywj
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
We took the gun to a gunsmith yesterday to let him have look. He says he fix the pin so it won't back out without gluing it. It will cost a minimum amount. Will update when we get it back.

500KV
01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
We took the gun to a gunsmith yesterday to let him have look. He says he fix the pin so it won't back out without gluing it. It will cost a minimum amount. Will update when we get it back.

You made the smart move Marty.
Good luck.

martywj
01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Well, another update. We were out at the gun shop/range where we did our CHL class and qualification talking to the owner. He said he wished we had brought it to him since he sells a lot of Kahr pistols that he could check and he might be able to send it in to the factory and get the updates without us having to pay or at least very little. So my wife is going to go get it tomorrow. So we will see!

59allstate
01-11-2010, 07:30 AM
The trigger pin walking out seems to be a known problem
by Kahr, they should fix it under warranty.
This is a link to a thread back in eary 2002 it tells
about the problem and the fix.
Kahr P9 trigger pin woes - TheFiringLine Forums (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=933510)

martywj
01-11-2010, 08:21 AM
The trigger pin walking out seems to be a known problem
by Kahr, they should fix it under warranty.
This is a link to a thread back in eary 2002 it tells
about the problem and the fix.
Kahr P9 trigger pin woes - TheFiringLine Forums (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=933510)

Hey! Good info! Thanks!

martywj
02-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Got my wife's P9 back from Kahr and we picked it up today. It actually came in Friday, but we were out of town. According to the repair ticket from Kahr they replaced the trigger pin, slide stop spring, slide stop, lubed & test fired good.

She tested it out at the range. Running 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 gr FMJ through it. Not a hiccup, my wife is very happy!!

Here's a couple of pics

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/martywj/guns/100_4742-1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/martywj/guns/100_4737-1.jpg

The biggest plus to all this was our cost was only for shipping, which was $30 from our FFL. We paid $480 for this gun, which what CW9's are going for in this area.

Marty

jocko
02-07-2010, 03:10 PM
for an 8 year old gun that was totally out of warranty for you the new owner. kahr indeed did treat you right. kudos to kahr on this fix to as they did some upgrades to the gun.

That is really one nice P9 and you bought it right to.

mel5051
02-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow, I should have found this Forum months ago! People have accused me of making up the story of the pin almost falling out on my P9 trigger after shooting 100 rounds for my carry permit class. My P9 is also a 2000 model. It first went back to Kahr after it discharged upon snapping a magazine into place. They polished the feed ramp, extractor bore, replaced recoil spring, slide stop, slide stop spring assembly. They did this back in 2008 and everything was free shipping to Kahr and back. I am hesitant to try with the trigger pin problem since I'm now on fixed disability income and can't afford to be paying shipping costs.