View Full Version : Feed problems with PM40

Mold Guy
09-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Has anyone else had this problem:

I broke in my pistol with Winchester 150gr ball-nose ammo with no malfunctions. After cleaning it, I bought some Federal Hydra-Shock 150gr JHP for personal defense. Am I ever glad that I returned to the range to test these rounds! They had a 70% failure to feed.

A later conversation with a friend who has the same pistol got me hooked up, or so I thought. He runs Hornady TAP/FPD 180gr. ammo and it feeds perfectly in his pistol.

I tried this ammo out Saturday, and although better than the Federal, Every third round or so jammed. The nose of the bullet is getting stuck on the lower edge of the feed ramp.

Somebody help me out here please.

kpm9
09-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, my PM9 won't feed Hornady JHP, but feeds everything else fine and has been 100% from the beginning with all other ammo.

jocko
09-05-2009, 04:41 PM
test all defense ammo for 100%. reliabilty. to me very strange though as kahrs are just not ammo sensitive. always wise to test...... no doubt 40 cals are more ammo sensitive than 9mm. Glock has alot of issues with the G22's

paulpm40
09-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Mine is reliable with anything but I like gold dots in all my defense handguns

brianweiss
09-07-2009, 10:26 AM
My PM40 dislikes solids but it feeds hollow-points w/ no problems

captaindoug
10-22-2009, 12:20 AM
My PM40 feeds 100 % with Win. white box, Fed, HP, Rem. HP, Corbon, Hornady TAP. It has been good since break in. I did have Bob Coogan at Accurate Plating Inc. polish up the innards in what he calls a "carry treatment" or something like that, but that's just something I felt like doing to smooth up the action a bit. It worked before, and it works now, just a little smoother

Raoul
10-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Which magazine are you using? 5 or 6 round? I seem to have some occasional feed problems with the 6 round.

CDW
10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Speer Gold Dots have been trouble free in my PM40

DustyJacket
10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Mine has been perfect, but all I've fed it is 180 grain stuff.

The most accurate was some Remington HP and Gold Dots, so Gold Dots are my SD rounds.

Mold Guy
10-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Which magazine are you using? 5 or 6 round? I seem to have some occasional feed problems with the 6 round.

Raoul;
The failures were the same with either mag. I even got it to replicate in my spare mags. Guess that eliminates a faulty mag as the problem.

Kahr resolved the issue over the phone with me: Their advice was to stay completely away from the Hornady ammo. And they were right. I picked up some Magtech Guardian Gold 180g JHP and it performed flawlessly.

My next test at the range will be with the Gold Dots as suggested by Kahr, DustyJacket & CDW in this thread.

As for the Hornady working fine in some PM-40's but not in others, I can only guess that every pistol is (a little bit) different.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I will post results on the Gold Dot as soon as time permits another visit to the range.:D