PDA

View Full Version : Bill to ban Gun Free Zones

TheTman
10-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I got this email today from NationalGunRights.org:

"I wanted to write and inform you of Congressman Ron Paul’s “Citizens Protection Act of 2011.”

The bill number is H.R. 2613.

As you may know, since 1990, the federal government and Congress has designated ALL school zones “gun free.”

I call them “Criminal Safezones.”

You and I know that criminals and thugs don’t care what laws or restrictions or road blocks anyone puts up.

When a thug wants to murder or wreak havoc, no law or posted metal sign declaring an area “gun free” will deter them.

And for those of us gun owners who carry every day, we’re left defenseless in the face of a rampaging criminal, intent on doing significant harm.

Congressman Paul’s “Citizens Protection Act of 2011” would repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 and remove all federal “Criminal Safezones.”

I’m personally asking you to call Congressman Paul’s office today and thank him for introducing H.R. 2613.

Here’s the number: 202-225-2831

And once you are finished making that call, please call your Congressman at 202-224-3121 and make it known that you support H.R. 2613.

Send a message to Congress that “Criminal Safezones” are nothing more than federally-protected target practice locations for those willing to do harm to innocents.

I know you don’t need courage to pick up the phone and tell Congress what you believe about our gun rights.

Most so-called “pro-gun” politicians need to “saddle up” and do what is right even in the face of left-wing assaults.

Make those calls today.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown
Executive Director"

I don't think it has a snowballs chance in hell of passing, but good work Congressman Paul!

tv_racin_fan
10-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Where in federal law is a school a gun free zone?

I carry when I go to pick up my grandchildren at school, tho I must leave it in the car when or if I actually go inside the school.

AHHH I see now...

"(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State,..."

According to state law in GA I don't even have to have a permit to have a firearm in my car on school grounds.

Bawanna
10-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Most states recognize the school parking lot as public domain. Anyone can drive through the parking lot or park. It's when you enter the building or even covered walk areas between buildings that your considered on school property and should be expected to have business there.

I read the sign to say make sure your very well concealed. My gun is safer secure on my person than it is locked out of sight in my car.

ltxi
10-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Most states recognize the school parking lot as public domain. Anyone can drive through the parking lot or park. It's when you enter the building or even covered walk areas between buildings that your considered on school property and should be expected to have business there.

I read the sign to say make sure your very well concealed. My gun is safer secure on my person than it is locked out of sight in my car.

"Most states" is a key here. Colorado has real issues with public K-12. We recently had a suburban Denver metro area high school girl arrested and charged because she had a dummy rifle in her car for legitimate use on a junior drill team. The school had no choice under the existing strict zero tolerance laws enacted in knee jerk reaction to the Columbine shooting in '99. As a result of this and some similar nonsensical incidents, the worst of the insanity is being rethought.

Don't know for sure because I never go there but I believe adults, at least those with permits, are "parking lot" exempt.

Bawanna
10-08-2011, 07:18 PM
We've had similar instances as well. Lack of common sense. That's what ya call that.

tv_racin_fan
10-08-2011, 07:51 PM
My son and I used to laugh about the idiot laws against firearms, and even more the idiot anti gunners.

His school had an JrROTC program of which he was a member. They had full on M14's in the building. Not just the drill rifles but operational M14's that the shooting team took to the range every year. (still does as far as we know)

Until just a couple years ago having a firearm on school property was a no no, parking lot or what didn't matter. They still have the gun free zone signs and people still tell you that you can not have a firearm anywhere on the property.

nksmfamjp
10-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Ron Paul for president!!!

DPGreen
11-03-2011, 04:23 PM
In NC your CW permit is not valid on school property and carrying it will get you a Felony. This includes not only school property but anywhere a school related event is taking place off campus. If it is unloaded and in a locked box in your car it is still illegal but only a misdemeanor. You also cannot carry anywhere that serves alcohol (i.e. almost any restaurant), any bank, state government property, any place that charges admission (theaters, sporting events, etc.), any public gathering (parade, free concerts, political event). Permit or not, you cannot possess a gun anywhere off your property if there is a state of emergency (hurricane, etc.). Absolutely and completely idiotic.