PDA

View Full Version : Back Sight Options

kantor99
10-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi. I'm new to the site and really enjoy reading the posts. I have a black PM9 which shoots great. The problem is that I want to carry it in a pocket holster and too often, when I draw the gun, the back sight snags on the inside of the pocket. Anyone know of a low profile or snag resistant back sight for the PM9. Thanks

Bawanna
10-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Other than the snagging issue are you ok with the sight picture?

I don't pocket carry but I've often thought IF I did I'd modify the rear sight, round off the corners and radius the top so there really aren't any corners other than the notch which really shouldn't hang up.

With a little masking and caution I think a person could do this without even removing the sight which sometimes can be a tough proposition as they are sometimes very tight.

Most sights I've messed with were relative soft metal which seems to take cold blue very well, even a bluing touch up pen is sometimes enough to make a modified sight look real good.

I've always liked Novaks for the snag free design but I'm not certain they have anything that would fit.

OldLincoln
10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Some of the holsters like my Nemesis pull up with the gun if you allow it until they hang where the pocket narrows. This might keep your rear sight in the holster until it clears the pocket. I tend to push the gun out of the holster from deep in the pocket and haven't practiced the other way on purpose, but have had it happen a few times.

kantor99
10-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I very happy with the sight picture I get, but would feel pretty silly telling someone wait a minute until I get this thing unstuck.

Bawanna
10-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Break out the file and start a rear sight melt down project. Don't forget before and after pictures.

If it doesn't turn out well, I'm sure it will but if not blame it on Jocko.

OldLincoln
10-12-2011, 01:54 PM
What I didn't include above is that I wear a Silent Thunder IWB (and love it) except use the pocket holster when working in the yard in my old down and dirty yard Levis. That's a much better defense option for accessibility.