PDA

View Full Version : My new PM9, oil/lube reccomendation?

burns
01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought my first Kahr tonight; a PM9. I found dissasembly instructions online and that went fine. Do you guys know where I can find instructions on lubrication? When I bought my last gun the manufacturer pointed out "oil points" in the manual which was helpful; and that's the kind of info I'm looking for now.

I'm planning to do 500 slide racks to assist in break-in. Do you guys have any other suggestions of how I should "prepare" the gun for it's first trip to the range?

One more question: when I am reassembling the gun following a field strip and I insert the slide stop lever back into the gun, I understand that it is important to make sure that the little notch on the inside of the slide stop fits in under the little spring end there. Is there some way to test that it is in place properly, because I cannot see whether or the spring end is going in above or below the notch?

A new one is always exciting! Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Burns

mr surveyor
01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
maybe this?

http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/308-kahr-lube-diagram.html

check the Kahr-Tech forum...one down from the PM forum

surv

oh.... and welcome to KahrTalk

burns
01-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks - one more thing fellas; my magazine says "MK KAHR" on it which makes me think perhaps they gave me the wrong mag - one for a MK series gun. Is this normal or a problem?

mr surveyor
01-14-2010, 10:44 PM
I think you're o.k. with the magazine

ripley16
01-15-2010, 03:56 AM
I'm planning to do 500 slide racks to assist in break-in. Do you guys have any other suggestions of how I should "prepare" the gun for it's first trip to the range?

Personally I'm not sure what this would accomplish other than a sore hand. Shooting and hand racking are different animals. I wouldn't waste my time.

One more question: when I am reassembling the gun following a field strip and I insert the slide stop lever back into the gun, I understand that it is important to make sure that the little notch on the inside of the slide stop fits in under the little spring end there. Is there some way to test that it is in place properly, because I cannot see whether or the spring end is going in above or below the notch?

You'll know it's properly reassembled because the slide stop will be held down until the mag empties. Otherwise it is held up by the spring and will engage after every round.

The mags are interchangable between the poly and steel Kahrs. The same mag fits the MK and PM sized pistols, the K and P mags interchage as do the T and TP. FWIW; larger mags will fit you PM, so you can have a 8 round mag for range use if you choose.

TxKahr
01-15-2010, 11:04 AM
The 6 rd mag on my new PM9 says the same thing. Before I went to the range, I cleaned and lubed the gun per the instructions posted above. I also bought a Pearce Grip for the 6 rd mag for improved control.

Kahr Grip Extensions - Product Page (http://www.pearcegrip.com/kahr.htm)

I had one FTE in 250 rds with 115G FMJs practice rounds. The FTE may have been my fault, but it happened nonetheless. The gun has slightly more recoil than my Glock 26, but it was not uncomfortable to shoot. I will carry the PM9 when a smaller and lighter gun is more appropriate.

TxKahr

burns
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
The 6 rd mag on my new PM9 says the same thing. Before I went to the range, I cleaned and lubed the gun per the instructions posted above. I also bought a Pearce Grip for the 6 rd mag for improved control.

Kahr Grip Extensions - Product Page (http://www.pearcegrip.com/kahr.htm)

I had one FTE in 250 rds with 115G FMJs practice rounds. The FTE may have been my fault, but it happened nonetheless. The gun has slightly more recoil than my Glock 26, but it was not uncomfortable to shoot. I will carry the PM9 when a smaller and lighter gun is more appropriate.

TxKahr

I hope I have a similar experience with only one or two FTF's during the break-in. I know it is only break in, but I HATE FTF's! Did that malfunction occur at the beginning, middle or end of the break-in period? Just curious.

The grip extension looks great and I may try that. I'm holding off on buying accessories until this thing proves reliable, except for maybe an Uncle Mike's $10 IWB just to get me started. If it's reliable, I'll buy a real nice IWB holster, another 6 rd. mag and an extension, and I might buy some XS night sights down the road.

I bought it knowing that there could be problems so I'm a bit concerned. However, if this gun proves reliable, I am going to be absolutely fine with spending the significant amount of cash for it and I can tell that I'll love this gun. If it proves unreliable, I will have one seriously bad day.

Burns

Vinikahr
01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
I bought it knowing that there could be problems so I'm a bit concerned. However, if this gun proves reliable, I am going to be absolutely fine with spending the significant amount of cash for it and I can tell that I'll love this gun. If it proves unreliable, I will have one seriously bad day.

Burns
Unless the firearm is used, you can utilize Kahr's warranty to make it functional in case of problems. The gun is great once it has been break-in(still I have not break in my CW45 and PM9). One main reason for owning several weapons( I have more than 3) is that you have the option to have a working one in the event one fails and requires warranty work or fixing. My CW9(I bought it when they first came out) only problem I had was the magazine dropping when shooting, it was cured by simply changing the magazine catch (sent free by Kahr).:)

wyntrout
01-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi, I shot my new-to-me PM9 Monday evening and had two FTfeed and FTeject using 7-round mags -- one the PM9's and the other a K9 mag. This was using Federal 135gr HS ammo. I shot around 3-4 mags of this through the PM9. I shot a total of about 150 rounds of different ammo -- FMJ, HS, Rem. JHP GS, and Win. SilverTip.
One of the failures seemed to be a combination -- the slide was locked back by the slide lock or the un-ejected case. The other was ejected but the slide locked back. I have a theory on that... both instances.
I put a loaded 7-round mag into the PM9 with the slide locked back and chambered a round by releasing the slide. I then ejected the magazine to find the next round about halfway forward in the magazine. I cleared the gun, put another full 7-round mag in and chambered the round the same way. I then slowly drew the slide back and found that the next round was HALFWAY up the friggin' feedramp! There are three possibilities at firing with this condition -- What I think is happening is that the ejected case is colliding with the next round with the result catching on the case mouth on the next round and the fired case not ejecting! The next possibility is that the ejecting case strikes the nose of the next round, deflecting it downward long enough that the slide locks back on the seemingly "empty" magazine. The third possibility is that no collision occurs, or not hard enough to upset ejection, and things perform as they should. This really sucks if that's the case in the first two possibilities!:confused:
I haven't done extensive testing, but that was what I observed at the range. The dynamics of the gun firing and the next round being halfway up the feed ramp can certainly cause these two different malfunctions. I think that the big problem is the Kahr magazines. People pooh-pooh that idea, but I've seen too many instances of the top round in the magazine advancing like that. I really don't see why the next round would be halfway up the ramp like that, but it seems to be a "feature" of some Kahr magazines.:ohmy:
You can try this at home, but be safe! Use a full magazine and chamber a round with the slide release and then check the magazine... likewise, try it again with the mag in place and slowly pull the slide back to see where the next round is. Again... Be Safe!
As I said, I didn't do any exhaustive testing but these were my observations. Also, this could possibly be a cause for the occasional ejected round smacking you in the head??:confused: AND... it might explain the "smilies" as well, with all of the possible colliding between the ejecting fired case and the overeager next round already occupying some of its space, sitting there part way up the feed ramp?? What do you think?
Wynn

burns
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Wyntrout,

If I insert a mag with a couple rounds loaded, then touch the slide release to chamber the round, and then eject the magazine, the next round is seated only slightly forward...as you mentioned...but only a tiny bit. Certainly not "halfway up the ramp."

If I insert a mag with a couple rounds in it, then touch the slide release to chamber a round, then rack the slide to eject that round, and then look into the chamber, the second round is seated properly in the mag.

So, I'm not worried about this yet.

Burns

wyntrout
01-15-2010, 04:37 PM
That's good, but I sure noticed these things... and I slowly pulled the slide back to see that next round sitting halfway up the ramp. I was being careful to not eject the round in the chamber and just pulled the slide about a half inch or so. With that condition, it's not hard to imagine interference with the ejecting case. I only did this procedure once each way with the same result -- the next round protruding halfway forward in the magazine. My theories are just such, but seem very plausible to me. Maybe all mags aren't so loose or whatever.
Wynn

Update: I tried that test on the K9 and the PM9, with all three different types of FULL mags in the PM9 with no more than 1/16" forward movement of the top round in the magazine... with the same 135gr ammo.:confused:
Hey! I'm not "Chicken Little", I did see what I saw... I think...:2rolleyes:

ripley16
01-15-2010, 05:03 PM
The next round being pulled forward in the mag after loading is common. I have no reason to believe this causes any malfunctions because it happens in all the Kahrs I have owned. Four of these Kahrs have never had a malfunfuntion and that's thousands of rounds.

Miniaturization of pistols comes with an almost automatic higher probability of error, just because of size, smaller grips, smaller mass, etc. Good quality ammo, proper lube and a solid grip are probably the answers to FTF or FTE occurrences. Not always...but alot of them.

wyntrout
01-15-2010, 05:08 PM
T next round being pulled forwardin the mag after loading is common. I have no reason to believe this causes any malfunctions because it happens in all the Kahrs I have owned. Four of these Kahrs have never had a malfunfuntion and that's thousands of rounds.

Miniaturization of pistols comes with an almost automatic higher probability of error, just because of size, smaller grips, smaller mass, etc. Good quality ammo, proper lube and a solid grip are probably the answers to FTF or FTE occurrences. Not always...but alot of them.

Agreed... but it's a neat theory....:der:
Wynn

Mdubtech
01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
My PM9 has 1K plus through it, after 300 no malfunctions of any kind when chambered properly.
Break in period says 200 rnds I believe.
My 9 also strips the 2nd rnd almost halfway out of the mag after being chambered and topped off for +1. I just add another and reseat the mag against
my palm and insert. Never had a malf that way though.
Try keeping the mags loaded while done shooting to help relieve some of that "brand new spring pressure"

Mdubtech
01-15-2010, 05:28 PM
P.S. Stay clear of the slide release and mag release when shooting, easy to do with such a small gun. Had to train myself.

wyntrout
01-15-2010, 06:26 PM
P.S. Stay clear of the slide release and mag release when shooting, easy to do with such a small gun. Had to train myself.
That's one thing I don't do. I've noted that I stay well away from the slide release. That's one thing that the Kahr doesn't have -- too many levers on the slide. It has just enough -- one... on one side of the FRAME. I hate those things with ambidextrous safeties, take-down lever, slide release, AND a decocker lever -- too much junk to even work the slide sometimes!:p
Wynn

TxKahr
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I HATE FTF's! Did that malfunction occur at the beginning, middle or end of the break-in period? Just curious.

Mine was a Fail to Eject after shooting the first round of the 7 rd mag. I had only put 90 rounds through the gun, so it was before the mandatory 200 rd break-in period. I had just finished shooting 20 rapid fire rds through my Glock 26 and I was not expecting the longer trigger pull of the brand new Kahr. I paused half-way through the trigger pull and then pulled again. When the gun fired, I felt my wrist twist a little. I pulled the trigger again and nothing happened. The casing was half way out of the gun and stuck in the slide, but I could not rack it back. I dropped the mag, racked the slide again and the empty casing fell to the ground. I put the mag back in and continued to shoot another 160 rounds without incident.

I was expecting more problems, so I was quite happy with the results of my first trip to the range. When I take it again, I hope to have zero problems because I really want to carry this gun when concealing the Glock is not possible.

TxKahr

burns
01-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Fellas,

I went to the range today and shot about 275 rounds through the PM9 with no cleaning. Guess how many malfunctions...ZERO.

I shot Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ, Winchester 115 grain JHP white box "Personal Defense", Corbon 115 grain +P, Winchester 147 jhp and Speer 124 grain Gold Dots without a problem of any kind. I was careful not to limp wrist.

I LOVE this gun. It's tiny, but I had absolutely no trouble handling +P; they were actually enjoyable to shoot! I expected the gun to be much snappier than it was. I had read several threads where guys were having problems with accurate fire at 10' or so; I had no such problems. I was able to stay accurate and I was ridiculously accurate when I staged the trigger.

This is my EDC...enough said.

Time for a holster and pearce pinky extension. I think I'm going to try the Crossbreed Mini. Thanks to those of you who provided advice leading me to choose the PM9.

Burns

Mayor B
01-19-2010, 05:56 PM
I've run 600+ rds though with only one fte. I think that was me or the rd its self. that was about 300 rds ago. Great gun, with CT makes it even better.