PDA

View Full Version : CW45 Magazine Catch Body

Dobieman
01-16-2010, 09:33 AM
I had the mag drop out about 4-5 times on my CW45 in my first range session of about 250 rounds. All the drops were in the first 50 rounds but I could not carry the gun confidently.
I contacted Kahr service via email about the issue and had a reply back in three minutes stating they would send me a new magazine catch body to install. I am impressed with the immediate response. Hopefully this repairs the problem as I really like this gun and want to carry it.
They told me to call in if I needed assistance installing it and they would talk me through it.

I should have the part in a few days.

Anyone replaced the magazine catch body on a CW45 or similar polymer body Kahr before?

Thanks
Dobie

Vinikahr
01-16-2010, 12:39 PM
I had a similar issue when I bought my CW9 and called Kahr and they sent me a replacement. It is very easy to change, with small flat screwdriver (long enough) just reach in from the top or bottom or the mag well and pry out the wire spring and the catch will come out. I have not shot my CW45 but when it was sent to Kahr they changed the magazine catch and polish the magazine well because it was thigh. So I am hopping I will not have that issue when I go to range to break it in.:4:

Vinikahr
01-16-2010, 12:41 PM
One more thing,

Congrats and welcome to the board.:80:

Dobieman
01-16-2010, 02:31 PM
OK I see what your talking about. Yep its going to be a snap. Just remove that spring from its groove and it will slide right out.

If you look at the magazine itself where the slot is for the catch to hold it and watch the follower move past the slot in the mag frame its amazing the catch holds it at all. Looks like the follower would push the catch out when it passes by.
This guns going to be a great piece once I get it sorted out.

Vinikahr
01-16-2010, 02:50 PM
OK I see what your talking about. Yep its going to be a snap. Just remove that spring from its groove and it will slide right out.

If you look at the magazine itself where the slot is for the catch to hold it and watch the follower move past the slot in the mag frame its amazing the catch holds it at all. Looks like the follower would push the catch out when it passes by.
This guns going to be a great piece once I get it sorted out.
Hopefully, things will work out now.:smash:

Dobieman
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I got the new magazine catch body and release spring via Fedex today.
Install was a snap. No obvious difference in the parts.
If this takes care of the dropping mag problem I will be happy customer.

So far the customer service at Kahr has exceeded my expectations.
I will test this weekend at the range and report back if the issue is resolved.

Dobie

Dobieman
01-23-2010, 04:17 PM
I just returned from the range and shot 100 rounds of Remingtom UMC FMJ with zero malfunctions of any kind.
I loaded the mag up with two and three rounds for the first 30 shots or so and then loaded up fully and no drops :)
The mags were loaded and changed about 25-30 times in this session since the problem before was always with the magazine near empty I wanted to duplicate that as much as possible.

I also picked up a Handall Jr and a spare mag today before the range session. Both mags worked flawless for the 100 rounds.

I will put a couple hundred more pratice rounds through this gun in the near future and if no issues I will put 100 rounds of defense JHP through it. If it passes the test I will carry.

I am enjoying this gun now and looking forward to more practice with it.
Accuracy is excellent and beyond what I can hold. Its as accurate as any Glock I have owned but the trigger stroke is longer and takes getting used to.

Dobie

jwr
01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
As a new Kahr owner is great to hear that a problem like this was handled so quickly and successfully by Kahr. I got the CW9 but I might be forced to grab a CW45 in the near future. :-)

Congratulations on the new gun!

Vinikahr
01-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Today I went to the range with my CW45 and shot 200 rounds break in ( Lellier & Bellot 230 grs) trough it, I only have one FTF due to user error (limp wristing), it happened after the 150 round mark, I was tire because I was also shooting the PM9( I will post report also (http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistols/1025-pm9-range-report.html)). So, other than that I was please with the CW45 performance. It was easy and pleasure to shoot with it. Test it with Remington Golden Saber and with Winchester Silver Tip, ran perfect. :86: