View Full Version : Hornady's New Critical Duty Looks Like A Winner

Markis82
11-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Hi All,

Yesterday I was treated to a demonstration of Hornady's New Critical Duty ammo. I saw it shot through glass, sheet medal, plywood, and drywall. In each case it performed flawlessly. It penetrated about 13" into the gel and expanded into a perfect mushroom every time. Looking at the product info (http://www.hornady.com/store/Critical-DUTY-New) it seems like Hornady has picked a perfect bullet weight for the 9mm, 135gr. and it is being produced in standard and +P pressures, plus a .40 S&W. I hear later in 2012 the .45 ACP will be available. I can't wait to try it out. It looks a little pricey but might just be worth it.

Thunder71
11-29-2011, 06:22 AM
After they introduced Zombie ammo I don't think I can put my money with this company. I'll stick to my Winchester PDX1 that feeds like butter in my Kahrs.

WMD
11-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Sounds like an interesting demonstration. Where did you see that? I have heard good reports on Hornady's Critical Defense though, I have never tried it. I have been using Remington Golden Saber for years. It has also faired very well in tests, shoots well in all of my guns and is very consistent ammo.

When my stock of GS dribbles down, I may try Hornady CD.

Markis82
11-29-2011, 06:41 AM
After they introduced Zombie ammo I don't think I can put my money with this company. I'll stick to my Winchester PDX1 that feeds like butter in my Kahrs.I agree the Zombie ammo is a stupid marketing idea. However, it is only a marketing idea. The products work! I don't hold a stupid marketing concept against a company. As long as their products perform as they should. If the cartridge has problems or the bullets don't expand or something else like that, I'd stay away. But since Hornady solved their primer problems, their products have been fine.

Markis82
11-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Sounds like an interesting demonstration. Where did you see that? I have heard good reports on Hornady's Critical Defense though, I have never tried it. I have been using Remington Golden Saber for years. It has also faired very well in tests, shoots well in all of my guns and is very consistent ammo.

When my stock of GS dribbles down, I may try Hornady CD.I saw the demonstration at my range. They were given a supply to test and report the results. I was just lucky to be there while it happened. This is the new Critical Duty a step up from the Critical Defense.

MLESa7990
11-29-2011, 07:25 AM
What's the difference between this and Critical Defense? Bullet weight?

Markis82
11-29-2011, 07:36 AM
What's the difference between this and Critical Defense? Bullet weight?Bullet weight, yes. but the biggest difference is the use of their new "Interlock Band." This band makes the bullet act like a bonded bullet. But the bonding process requires the bullet core to be a soft composition of lead. The band allow the Critical Duty bullet to be made of high-antimony lead making it extremely tough. Therefore providing better performance when going through things like glass, plywood, sheet medal, drywall than bonded bullets.

Thunder71
11-29-2011, 07:47 AM
I see this as a negative for a civilian round, personally. I have no need to shoot through glass, plywood, sheet metal and especially drywall for my defense purposes. If I have to shoot through something my target is not necessarily clear - nor is what's behind the target.

Unlike law enforcement, I see no reason why I'd need to shoot through a car window.

Markis82
11-29-2011, 07:54 AM
I see this as a negative for a civilian round, personally. I have no need to shoot through glass, plywood, sheet metal and especially drywall for my defense purposes. If I have to shoot through something my target is not necessarily clear - nor is what's behind the target.

Unlike law enforcement, I see no reason why I'd need to shoot through a car window.One might never be able to foresee what one might encounter. As they say, "Sometimes real life is stranger than fiction." I'll take every advantage than I can and put the odds in my favor as much as possible. I'd rather have something and not need or use it, than need it and not have it.

Thunder71
11-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Depends on what you see as odds in your favor I guess. I share my home with my wife and 3 kids, I don't personally like the idea of this 'super penetration' round, but to each their own.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Markis82
11-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Depends on what you see as odds in your favor I guess. I share my home with my wife and 3 kids, I don't personally like the idea of this 'super penetration' round, but to each their own.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using TapatalkI see your point. However, the situation is exactly opposite of how you're looking at it. The Critical Duty is no super penetrating bullet. It will not "go thru more stuff" than your PDX1. It will just be more accurate and have better expansion after is does goes thru that stuff. Your wife and kids would be safer if the bullet continues to head toward it's intended target after it goes thru something than if it gets deformed and starts tumbling, flying in any odd direction after it hits something. But, if you feel comfortable with the PDX1, stick with it. Every round isn't for everybody.

TheTman
11-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Inside the house I would rather use a shotgun with some large birdshot, I read that's a good combination for stopping BG's and not over penetrating into other rooms where children may be sleeping. When you hear a door being kicked in or glass breaking in the middle of the night you might not always have time to get your kids into a safe room.

MO_Soldier
11-29-2011, 11:04 AM
This is the ideal round for me and I'm anticipating it WILDLY!!

As for the typical concerns of others in the household, my spouse, my daughter, and I all sleep in very close quarters, leaving the rest of the house as my firing lanes :D

Very good report on this! I was the first on the forum to recognize these rounds as significant, and I'm glad someone who saw them in action first hand can attest to their potential!

jlottmc
11-29-2011, 11:41 AM
ooo shiny. Thunder do you get a new phone about every other week or something? I'm just curious, I keep seeing these sent from my ________ from tapatalk.

Thunder71
11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
One is my phone, the other is my pad...

Phone = HTC Thunderbolt
Pad = Asus Transformer

:)

I keep the sig line when I post through Tapatalk just so people know that:

1. It's being used, and greatly appreciated.
2. Let's people know why there may be awful spelling or auto correct errors. :)

Seems everyone is on board with Hornady, guess I'll wait for the reports on how it feeds in our Kahr's.

I do have a tacticool Remington 870 for home defense, but it's counterproductive locked up in the safe.

Bill K
11-29-2011, 12:03 PM
One of the things I was watching for in the video was muzzle flip... I didn't see much and that's a good thing.

MO_Soldier
11-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Seems everyone is on board with Hornady, guess I'll wait for the reports on how it feeds in our Kahr's.

That's right...confoooooorm!!! :cool:

Thunder71
11-29-2011, 12:22 PM
All the cool kids are doing it!

Markis82
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
One of the things I was watching for in the video was muzzle flip... I didn't see much and that's a good thing.From seeing the test first hand, I'll tell you that the round appeared to be easy shooting, low flash, and kinda quiet. The shooter said that the rounds felt really controllable and follow up shots would have been quick.

Mr. S
11-29-2011, 06:09 PM
but the biggest difference is the use of their new "Interlock Band." This band makes the bullet act like a bonded bullet. But the bonding process requires the bullet core to be a soft composition of lead. The band allow the Critical Duty bullet to be made of high-antimony lead making it extremely tough. Therefore providing better performance when going through things like glass, plywood, sheet medal, drywall than bonded bullets.

I would like to see some independent testing,but this is very interesting.
I hope it isn't more expensive than the Critical Defense,and that they will sell it in 50 round boxes instead of the 20 and 25 round boxes they are currently using.

Markis82
11-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I would like to see some independent testing,but this is very interesting.
I hope it isn't more expensive than the Critical Defense,and that they will sell it in 50 round boxes instead of the 20 and 25 round boxes they are currently using.The MSRP is $28.75 per box of 25 9mm as of now, pretty pricey. I figure they will come down in price after they have been out for a while. It looks like boxes of 25 for 9mm and boxes of 20 for .40 S&W. Hornady would be smart to make available boxes of 50 like Speer does with their Gold Dots.

JFootin
11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Hornady would be smart to make available boxes of 50 like Speer does with their Gold Dots.

Why? They make more money on the small boxes.

Markis82
11-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Why? They make more money on the small boxes.Because I don't think police departments and other agencies will pay the per/25 box price.

JFootin
11-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Because I don't think police departments and other agencies will pay the per/25 box price.

Well, maybe they'll make them for them in secret. :D

kahrnut1
11-29-2011, 09:13 PM
the results i have had with crit def in pm9 and the 165 in pm 40 have been great it just keeps shooting with no failures at all. i have temperrily swaped to these roumds over corbon dpx which was my favorate ammo to do a little more testing. i was getting a few fail to feed with the corbon on a + 1 load kahrnut1 it is bascily the same bullet as critical duty so it should work. got about 350 115 crit def throuth the gun thanks jeff

TriggerMan
11-29-2011, 10:23 PM

Unlike law enforcement, I see no reason why I'd need to shoot through a car window.No car jackings in your area? I could see being threatened by an armed car jacker and being forced to shoot thru glass.

MO_Soldier
11-30-2011, 09:18 AM
No car jackings in your area? I could see being threatened by an armed car jacker and being forced to shoot thru glass.

In addition...If I confront the BG and he hides behind a corner in my home, CDuty won't have a problem hitting him through that drywall. I've already identified the BG and he's shooting back...I need something that will get the job done.

growler17
02-06-2012, 01:43 AM
I did a small amount of research on this ammo a bit ago and a few said something on the lines of this ammo is not for conceal or compact guns but more for full size pistols. They said something about the bullet not reaching full velocity out of the barrel. Anyone know any truth to this???

crazymailman
02-07-2012, 04:04 AM
I don't think that a shorter barrel would affect the Critical Duty any differently than any other round. From the tests that I have looked at, the heavier bullets typically, lose less velocity out of short barrels than the lighter bullets do.

hotpig
02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Because I don't think police departments and other agencies will pay the per/25 box price.
I had this exact conversation with Hornady today. The 50 round boxes are restricted to Government sales only. They want my business they had better cough up the 50 round boxes for my inventory and not make me jump through hoops to sell it.

Barth
02-09-2012, 07:11 AM
I had this exact conversation with Hornady today. The 50 round boxes are restricted to Government sales only. They want my business they had better cough up the 50 round boxes for my inventory and not make me jump through hoops to sell it.

You're a good man.
I've gotten to the point where I will not buy any handgun ammo not packaged in 50 round boxes.

I really is the only way to fly
(Winchester Ranger T, Speer Duty GDHP, Federal HST - Hornady needs to join the club)

mspiredm3
02-17-2012, 07:48 PM
This looks like a great round! Look forward to some tests from private youtuber's