PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Mags in a PM45

vmo
01-18-2010, 03:01 PM
I have aquired a PM45 to use as a backup gun. I had been carrying a XD 45 Compact as a primary, but during a recent range trip discovered that 1911 .45 magazines fit the pm 45. The bottom of the mag hung out of the grip, but function was fine, with intermittent slide lock engagement following the last shot. I think this could be resolve with springs or modifying the follower. I never carry a mag for the BUG anyway. BUT, I am thinking that if I were to go back to the 1911 as a primary, the spare mags for the 1911 would give me an option that didn't exist before. Has anyone else tried this? I'm also thinking of experimenting with the 1911 mags to see if I can create a true flush fitting mag for the PM. Comments? Thanks all.

Vmo

Vinikahr
01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I have aquired a PM45 to use as a backup gun. I had been carrying a XD 45 Compact as a primary, but during a recent range trip discovered that 1911 .45 magazines fit the pm 45. The bottom of the mag hung out of the grip, but function was fine, with intermittent slide lock engagement following the last shot. I think this could be resolve with springs or modifying the follower. I never carry a mag for the BUG anyway. BUT, I am thinking that if I were to go back to the 1911 as a primary, the spare mags for the 1911 would give me an option that didn't exist before. Has anyone else tried this? I'm also thinking of experimenting with the 1911 mags to see if I can create a true flush fitting mag for the PM. Comments? Thanks all.

Vmo

Hello,

I have not done this yet but I will check at least for fit with my CW45. I have a 1911. Thanks for sharing since I was wondering the same thing.:4:

Vinikahr
01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I did check the magazine of the 1911 with my CW45 and did fit. I may take when I go to the range to see if works.:4:

mr surveyor
01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
did you try to hand cycle a few rounds? I would think the Kahr followers and feed lips on the magazine would be quite different than the JMB design.

surv

Vinikahr
01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
did you try to hand cycle a few rounds? I would think the Kahr followers and feed lips on the magazine would be quite different than the JMB design.

surv

Nope. I will try later.:86:

vmo
02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Update: I took my PM45 to the range this weekend with a bunch of 1911 mags. I found that about half of them worked in the PM. It seems that the deciding factor is the height of the feed lips. Some of the mags have feed lips that are about 1/16 th of an inch too tall, and hit the extractor. These mags will not even lock in the gun. Depending on the strength of the spring and the shape of the follower, they will or will not engage the slide lock. A good strong mag spring and a flat follower seem to be the most reliable in locking the slide back. I am getting the most reliable together to use for spares when I carry the 1911 with the PM as a BUG. I have three of the ones with the too high mag lips that I am going to pare down the feed lips and cut the mag body to make flush fit mags. Per Catshooter's thread on this same subject http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistols/1077-report-my-pm-45-a.html , I have three mag bodies off to be welded up to make primary mags for the PM. I'll post pictures and results when I get them back.

Vmo

vmo
03-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Update:

Sorry it took so long to get the photos uploaded. I needed to do some testing and tweaking. I've got them reliable and useable. Here are the pictures:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/vmo111/Picture013.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/vmo111/Picture014.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/vmo111/Picture012.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/vmo111/Picture011.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/vmo111/Picture010.jpg

It sure fits in the pocket better now. You would be amazed how much space 1/4 inch takes up in a pocket!

Vmo

Vinikahr
03-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Good job!:israel:

Bawanna
03-19-2010, 10:22 PM
There was another thread posted here recently where somebody did this very thing. He even cut the mag down so it fit flush and cut a notch in the frame. Anybody recall that. I can't remember who it was. He said the slide didn't lock back consistantly but fed and functioned correctly. Some one will see this and it will resurface I'm sure.

vmo
03-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks Vinikahr. How are yours coming? I had to drop the capacity down to 5 to get reliability and the slide stop to work sometimes. They feed wonderfully now, but I'm using a full size 1911 mag spring with none cut off. That takes up the room for the extra round. I think if I could get some Kahr followers, that would fix the sometimes slide lock proble. I'm using flat top shooting star followers now, and they work most of the time. I think mine feed better than the stock mags though.

Vmo

Vinikahr
03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks Vinikahr. How are yours coming? I had to drop the capacity down to 5 to get reliability and the slide stop to work sometimes. They feed wonderfully now, but I'm using a full size 1911 mag spring with none cut off. That takes up the room for the extra round. I think if I could get some Kahr followers, that would fix the sometimes slide lock proble. I'm using flat top shooting star followers now, and they work most of the time. I think mine feed better than the stock mags though.

Vmo

I did not do any alteration to mine, Only use the 1911 magazine to break in the CW45.

vmo
03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Mistake

wyntrout
03-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Just for additional and possibly useless information, I tried my S&W 645 or 4506-fitting magazine in the PM45 -- doesn't fit, but I have one of those that one of the base lips broke off and so I have an extra base plate. It fits the PM45 base with only a tiny bit of material needing removal to accommodate the different leading curve of the PM45 magazine. Then the front tip of the plate could be trimmed as needed or desired. You could drill a locking hole for the Kahr base plate retainer. Pix of course:
Wynn

vmo
03-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I looked at the idea of changing the baseplate, but that doesn't accomplish my goal of having a flush fitting mag. The mag needs to end inside the grip in order to be really flush. I think I'm on the right track. All I need to do is figure out the follower design for slide lock. One of my mags has compressed the spring to the point that it will hold 6 rounds again! Back to the 7 shooter.

Vmo

PigButtons
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Wolf sells replacement springs for the officer's length 1911 mags. They are shorter and a bit stiffer than std 1911 springs.

Is there a reason why the Kahr followers won't fit in the 1911 mags?