View Full Version : K9 Elite w/Crimson Trace review

awpk03s
12-16-2011, 09:22 PM
New guy here, posting a review of a Kahr K9 Elite I recently picked up.

Kahr K9 Elite w/Night Sights:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC03265.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC03264.jpg

I picked up this pistol with the sheer intention of it being a dedicated nightstand pistol for my wife. She had a S&W Nightguard revolver previously, and the trigger sucked and it was just big and awkward. This is going to be an excellent replacement. The K9 is a perfect fit in the hand, and the weight and balance are perfect as well. I got a K9 Elite instead of a standard K9 for two reasons, 1) I wanted a standard Kahr trigger and not the 12lb NYPD trigger that comes on standard K9s, 2) the polished stainless on the Elite is pretty - my wife likes things that are pretty.

The pistol I ordered did not have night sights, so I got a set from OpticsPlanet for $76 and installed them at home with my new sight pusher. I also installed Crimson Trace Lasergrips on this gun as well.

The range report is pretty boring for the K9 Elite. 200 rounds of FMJ. 50 rounds of hollow points. All of them fed, fired, and ejected perfectly. All went into the center of the target. Laser grips worked perfectly, had to sight them in a little to adjust elevation. Everything here works as advertised. The trigger is amazingly smooth and easy, recoil is minimal, that's about it.

Anybody looking into these guns, I can highly recommend them.

cw45fan
12-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Really nice report and pics... Thanks... Got my wheels turnin' on that one...

ripley16
12-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Congrats on your new K9 and welcome to the forum. I've got the same set up, K9, night sights, laser grips, elite trigger, and have to agree that it is a sweet gun. My wife has trouble with the slide on all of my Kahrs though... not the gun for her, even if she had some enthusiasm for shooting, (which she doesn't).

...and not the 12lb NYPD trigger that comes on standard K9s,
Just so there's no confusion... the NYPD trigger is rated at 7 lbs. It's longer not heavier. If it were 12 lbs, they'd still be using the K9 in the Big Apple.

jocko
12-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Ripley 16 is reight, the K9 is just a super nice peace, I love mine, BUT BUT KAHR NEVER MADE A 12# TRIGGER for any gun. 7# is tops ..

FLBri
12-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Those pictures are the EXACT set up for the next Kahr I will be adding to my collection. Congrats !!

apheod
12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
can't help but notice your serial number is only 3 away from mine, BF2310. i'm assuming after this review the issue doesn't exist on your elite, but would you mind reading the first post in my thread on this section, the K9 slide not fully returning, and telling me if it's not an issue with your gun? trying to get things narrowed down since apparently it's multiple K9s coming out of kahr, yours is so close to mine i think this would rule out a bad tool they're using to make them.

Bill K
12-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Nice looking piece you have there.

Oh, we like boring range reports. :)

awpk03s
12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys! @ apheod... I did not have this issue at all with this K9. It was 100% perfect feeding/firing/ejecting/accuracy, everything!

JAQ
12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Great review....I'm also a new member who just ordered a K9 Elite...hope mine is problem-free as well.:D

FearlessNKY
02-12-2012, 11:02 AM
You have the exact same set up as I do! :D I've been carrying my K9 Elite for going on 4-5 years now..... For me, I find it to be the perfect fit for daily CCW.

Krusty
02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
I start droolin...