View Full Version : Brain dead yesterday

MW surveyor
12-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Been on a "stock up on the reloads" kick the last two days. Saturday loaded up 200 rounds of 38 wad cutters and 100 357 full house magnums. Then loaded 300 9mm. Sunday morning decided to get the remainder of my 45 ACPs back to full boxes so decided to load up some of those at 0500.

I keep my powder and primers in the house as well as the dies. Stable temperature and humidity (keeps the dies from rusting). Grab my go box with the dies, primer and powder. Get everything setup and test a few drops out of the powder drop. Hmm, kinda light on the powder. Do this about 10 times and still light on the powder :(.

Then the light bulb goes off, look at the powder container. WTH, it's Unique instead of Bullseye!

Very good thing that I always check the amount of powder that the powder drop drops!

getsome
12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
All's well that ends well, Glad you caught it...

Ikeo74
12-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Been on a "stock up on the reloads" kick the last two days. Saturday loaded up 200 rounds of 38 wad cutters and 100 357 full house magnums. Then loaded 300 9mm. Sunday morning decided to get the remainder of my 45 ACPs back to full boxes so decided to load up some of those at 0500.

I keep my powder and primers in the house as well as the dies. Stable temperature and humidity (keeps the dies from rusting). Grab my go box with the dies, primer and powder. Get everything setup and test a few drops out of the powder drop. Hmm, kinda light on the powder. Do this about 10 times and still light on the powder :(.

Then the light bulb goes off, look at the powder container. WTH, it's Unique instead of Bullseye!

Very good thing that I always check the amount of powder that the powder drop drops!

Errors like that could be very costly. Here is what I do to avoid that kind of situation. I always put a label with the powders name on it and drop it inside the powder measurer and on top of the powder. When you add powder keep the lable on top so you can see and read it through the measurer. Next put the powder container right behind the measurer as a second reminder of the powder in the measurer. When you change powders, change labels. You won't forget if you have to remove the lable to dump or add powder.

MW surveyor
12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't keep any powder in my powder measure as it is stored outside of the house and subject to the humidity. Also only bring out one container of powder at a time from the house.

Although the label idea probably would have helped yesterday morning!