Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-40?

Default K-40?

Found a used k-40 slide is polished, frame is dull. Salesman says it looks different and feels lighter than his k-9. No others in store to compare with. Serial#DB1166.Any information would be helpful thanks.

http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/207-ka...glocktalk.html That should help a bit. As for the difference in the slide polishing... that could be a number of things.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Default loots to

Quote Originally Posted by rpc View Post
    Found a used k-40 slide is polished, frame is dull. Salesman says it looks different and feels lighter than his k-9. No others in store to compare with. Serial#DB1166.Any information would be helpful thanks.
    me like around June of 1997, more than likely it could be a nickle plated slide to... Nickel plated over carbon steel, not stainless....

Perhaps the salesman has an older Kahr like that, as stainless is lighter than nickeled carbon steel.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

What Jocko said about nickel plated makes sense. The nightsights are dim but useable by tru-glo. There asking 525 dollars for it. How does nickel hold up compared to stainles steel? This gun has what looks like small pit mark

OK, here is my take on this: DON'T BUY IT. $525 for a 13 year old out of date gun and out of warranty gun is way way to much. I would bet you can find new a K40 of todays vintage for $600 and under, if u start looking. I can assure u, that you have no warranty and one trip back to kahr on your dime both ways plus $60+ hour service plus parts will eat up $200in a heart beat. A new K40 will come with the spare magazine to, which is $40 , you did not mention if this used gun comes with it...

All stainless K40 is just one awesome handgun, go with the latest model, get the 5 year warranty. That to me is worth a $100 just for peace of mind. The night sights are about gone, so basicaly you have no night sights, but a new K40 with night sights already on it. Don't buy some one else possable troubles. Hellit could also be the finest shooting k40 ever made and the most reliable BUT do you want to gamble on that with zero warranty. I would not..

unless you have a true desire to own a 40 cal, I would also advise shooting a 40 cal kahr if you can rent one etc. They have alot of recoil the 40 cals . Not to talk you out of it either but maybe consider the K9 kahr, This is a gun you can shoot until the cows come home, fun gun to shoot, very pleasant to the shooter, ammo is far cheaper and more available, Price will be the same. More K9's flaoting around out ther e used though the K40.

good luck. I am just trying to give you something to think about. I certainly an't knocking a K40 but I would buy new for sure...

A good nickel coated gun will look super, but an all stainless one IMO trumps any nickel gun. Kahrs IMO were never show guns, but super duper defense guns..

I'm 180 from jocko on this. I bought my P45 used, and never looked back. As for the nickle job holding up, there are fine examples of nickle plated pistols from the days that we refer to as the Wild West, many are still in great shape. Take care of the gun and it will serve you well. If however you have one doubt what so ever, don't buy it, if you have peddle it. Stainless will rust too, as for the warranty, I do my own work on a gun, but that long ago was a lifetime warranty... The 40 is a bit snappier, because it develops it's energy faster than the 45, personally, I say if you like the idea of a 40, then get used to it. I also say shoot it, shoot it more, rinse and repeat.

Default to

Quote Originally Posted by jlottmc View Post
    I'm 180 from jocko on this. I bought my P45 used, and never looked back. As for the nickle job holding up, there are fine examples of nickle plated pistols from the days that we refer to as the Wild West, many are still in great shape. Take care of the gun and it will serve you well. If however you have one doubt what so ever, don't buy it, if you have peddle it. Stainless will rust too, as for the warranty, I do my own work on a gun, but that long ago was a lifetime warranty... The 40 is a bit snappier, because it develops it's energy faster than the 45, personally, I say if you like the idea of a 40, then get used to it. I also say shoot it, shoot it more, rinse and repeat.
    me big difference between the date of your used P45 and this 13 years old kahr. Life time warranty as u know only relates to the original owner. I have no doubt kahr would charge to fix this 13 year old gun. Nothing wrong with "good" nickel but I do think I read it had a pit or two on the gun. give me stainless for durability any day. My contention is that this gun is way way over priced,

Thanks for the information everybody. Jocko I always like the great info you have. I think your right about price considering age&condition. Being the proud owner of a CW-9 and P-9 I thought I go to steel in a 40 .

I'd really have to see this thing between my hands before I'd go for it. I see now where the pit was mentioned.