Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a "precautionary" re-lucite advisable?

Default Is a "precautionary" re-lucite advisable?

Ok, I have a "back-up" PM recoil assembly and the flange/nut seems to be on "tight". However, I do not want to be faced with the heat caused by shooting it resulting in the loss of another flange/nut.

I realize that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but ......as a precaution is it advisable to heat up this unused recoil assembly to turn whatever lucite to powder, remove flange/nut, clean threads and re-lucite to be 110% sure that flange/nut will not come off?

I guess I'm worried because my new out of the box gun had the flange/nut come off with first use.

I wouldn't, it really shouldn't be a problem. Then again...
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by bayoutrigger View Post
    Ok, I have a "back-up" PM recoil assembly and the flange/nut seems to be on "tight". However, I do not want to be faced with the heat caused by shooting it resulting in the loss of another flange/nut.

I realize that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but ......as a precaution is it advisable to heat up this unused recoil assembly to turn whatever lucite to powder, remove flange/nut, clean threads and re-lucite to be 110% sure that flange/nut will not come off?

I guess I'm worried because my new out of the box gun had the flange/nut come off with first use.
    If you think that would get you a better stronger bond on the new loctite I'd do it. Mine has not come loose as yet and I find myself checking it periodically to make sure I know if/when it goes south on me.
    I should also order a spare "just in case". Seems like they come off early or they are good to go and don't. Another one of lifes mysteries.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thousands of rounds through my PM9 with three different recoil/guide rod spring sets. The "original" set and two "improved/re-designed" sets. I put a few hundred rounds each through the two new ones to ensure reliability. One is currently in the PM9. The original and the other new "improved" one are in my spare parts kit. Never had a problem with the original set. I just wanted some new spares. Zero problems with any guide rod coming apart.

The flange nut on my PM45 departed at the last trip to the range. I didn't notice that until I got home. I think it shoots okay and doesn't become a problem until you take the gun apart.
    Kahr sent me a new recoil spring/guide assembly. And I got to tinkering today trying to make another nut for the guide rod. I'll start a new thread and post a link here soon.

http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/3934-m...html#post37717

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 10-18-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Wolff Spring recomended using RED loctite!

I don't have any of that and can only find the Permatex line locally. I have the green Permatex which is much stronger than the green Loctite, but less than the Red, for sure. I put a little on my homemade nut and put some on the new guide rod's nut as well. This is the penetrating stuff that you use on assembled parts. It's thin and runs like crazy, so it's easy to use too much, but it cleans up okay.
    The red stuff is meant to be forever... considered a permanent bond... not something you want in every case. The guide rod nut IS such a case, though.
    Scope mounts and rails, etc., should be removable, which is why I bought this stuff... the green, penetrating variety.
    Remember that none of these products should be used on polymer parts. The bond can be stronger than the plastic and I don't think the plastic can hold up to the heat required... over 500°F... or the chemicals that are used for removal.
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Anybody changing "striker" spring??? Got one with my Wolffe spring package. Discussion with Wolffe tech.-- He said he wouldn't change it unless it became problem, which is doubtful. Also stated the the lower pressure "strike" spring is not recomended for CCW, target only, reports of some weak primer hits--thus malfunction.

Don't heat it up and remove the existing compound.

Loctite makes two green compounds. One is strong enough to be used to hold cylinder sleeves in engines.

The other can be used on assembled units. I can't recall the break-free torque, but I would do that before taking apart a known good assembly.
    ~Mike F.
    April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.

Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

that locktite "green" is some serious stuff. they make some "green" that actually penetrates threads when already tightened. YOu won't have much luck getting that apart..