Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CW9: Broken In, Sighted In, Un-Ratted, Dependable, But Not Pocket Size

I am carrying a P9 now, and this is no pocket gun *unless* you are a very large individual with large pockets. Most people won't be able to pocket carry this gun.

I have a Ruger LCP that I pocket carry and it works well (both the gun and the carry method), but I was never able to find a good 9mm that worked. I am 5'7" and have smallish pockets...

The P9 (or CW9, same size frame) fits me perfect for relatively deep IWB carry, and it fits my hand perfectly, but there is no way it is fitting in the pocket without printing.

FWIW I almost never pocket carry the LCP anymore. Why carry a .380 when a 9mm is available? The LCP is a BUG only now.

Default CW's

I do not think any of the CW series pistols are pocket pistols;. They are great for IWB carry or on a regular holster but not pocket carry.

+another 1 on the PJ holster -ordered and received mine in about 10days - Its simple design and small dims make it very comfortable to wear . I wear mostley cargo shorts and tee shirts in the summer and I have the middle management spread yet my cw9 is never exposed. I also carry this in a Galco leather pocket holster with no real deal breaker issues- I will say that this the maximum size pistol I would ever attempt to front pocket carry as it can be a real private poker sometimes.

Frankly I can't see why people want to pocket carry a firearm. It just doesn't make logical sence to me. Seems to me pocket carry would be harder to draw from, especially seated, and in the heat of battle you might not remember where it is positioned in your pocket (do you have pants or shorts with a deep or shallow pockets.) You're also trying to dig something out of a small hole, especially if you have big hands. Personally this is something I do not want to have to deal with. With hip carry you always know what position your weapon is in at all times and with a draw that doesn't require your hands fumbling around in your pocket. But then again I've never tried this type of carry, so I might be full of s**t.

I have pocket carried a CW40 for about 4 years now. Medical issues have forced me to make this work (don't ask!). At this point in life I have no particular dress code to comply with, so I choose pants that will work for the intended purpose.

Pockets can be modified slightly and with the proper holster it will work great. This type of carry will hide a larger gun, but I don't want to pack the extra weight!

By the way, I ain't that big! I just dress funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by 7shot View Post
    Frankly I can't see why people want to pocket carry a firearm. It just doesn't make logical sence to me. Seems to me pocket carry would be harder to draw from, especially seated, and in the heat of battle you might not remember where it is positioned in your pocket (do you have pants or shorts with a deep or shallow pockets.) You're also trying to dig something out of a small hole, especially if you have big hands. Personally this is something I do not want to have to deal with. With hip carry you always know what position your weapon is in at all times and with a draw that doesn't require your hands fumbling around in your pocket. But then again I've never tried this type of carry, so I might be full of s**t.
    I'd hate to be sitting down or buckled in a car and need my gun in a hurry while pocket carrying. But I have found that some of the softer pocket holsters such as Uncle Mike's work well in the AIWB location, where an untucked shirt keeps the gun hidden. As easy to draw when seated as when standing. And it still works for us lefties when buckled in a driver's seat. The shoulder strap gets in the way for righties unless they are riding shotgun. Of course, you could unbuckle if you need to access your gun.

Funny thing: of my 3 guns, the J-frame carries best at the AIWB position and draws easiest from my pocket. I use my TCP most often for pocket carry, and I usually carry my CM9 in a PJ IWB holster at 8:00.

A pocket holster I found that I really like, that also works perfectly for AIWB carry, is the Stays-Put Ultra. As the name implies, they stay put when drawing from the pocket and also stay in position AIWB. I have one for my J-frame and one for my TCP.
    Last edited by JFootin; 08-26-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by 7shot View Post
    Frankly I can't see why people want to pocket carry a firearm. It just doesn't make logical sence to me. Seems to me pocket carry would be harder to draw from, especially seated, and in the heat of battle you might not remember where it is positioned in your pocket (do you have pants or shorts with a deep or shallow pockets.)
    When I carry, it's usually in my pocket. Why?

1. I almost always dress with a tucked-in shirt, which is no problem with pocket carry.

2. I do not ever plan to make a quick draw. If I have not seen the threat in advance, I doubt that I would be able to do anything useful with my gun if startled.

3. It's more comfortable in my pocket than IWB.
    "Measure twice, cut once. Think twice, speak once."

Not Again...? Again!

The much posted about and much fixed CW9 of mine has done it again. Again after I am thinking it will now work without screwing up. After not having done anything stupid in 800 rounds, except for the magazine coming out while in my pocket in my pocket holster. My several threads here detail what it took to make it run. Having thought that it was unratted, I sort of set it aside.

My adult daughter is getting a CCW soon. She is over 30, an executive at a multi-national company, and has been shooting guns for 30 years.

A bit ago we shot 5 S&W revolvers of various weights and sizes and calibers. Failure free.

Today we fired a few hundred rounds of .22LR and of 9mm through
    *Beretta M21 7+1 semi auto
    *Glock M26 with an Advantage Arms .22 converter kit
    *S&W M43 .22LR 8 shot revolver
    *Glock M26 with 115 Hornady FTX ammo, the Critical Defense stuff and WW 115 WhiteBox
    *Kahr CW9 with the same two 9mm ammos.

The Kahr was the last gun fired. She was liking it for a purse gun since I don't think it works as a short's pocket gun.

After about 50 rounds through a clean gun, she was firing 2-2-2-2 in controlled pairs at 5 and 15 yards never out of the IPSC "A" box.

After six shots through one magazine, C L I C K.

What happened dad as she held the position? she asked.

My Mk.1 Mod.0 eyeballs see the magazine down about 1/4". While firing the 4th to last round and loading the 3rd to last round, the magazine had detached itself. Then she fired the 3rd to last round.

CLICK.

Magazine out confirmed two perfectly good rounds were in the magazine. And the Chamber was empty and the striker was down.

She inserted the two round magazine, worked the slide, fired the two rounds, Checked clear for the chamber and mag well, and handed it back to me.

Her only comment was that it was not sufficiently dependable to stake her life on.

I could not have said it better.

She thought that while a Glock M19 9mm was a bit of a chunky monkey, it was OK for a purse and would always work.

Time to cut my losses and run. D'at D'awg Don't Hunt.

the J frame shape makes it best for pocket carry, with a semi-auto the heal clip mag catch is best for pocket carry. the pm series guns shine in a small IWB appendix style rig.

Quote Originally Posted by MERCTECH View Post
    One would think before buying a gun, one would do some research. But then again not everyone has common sense.
    Maybe you should reread his post.