CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cops Are Killed By Stupid Legislators Who Pass Stupid Laws

Default Cops Are Killed By Stupid Legislators Who Pass Stupid Laws

Legislators pass stupid over reaching laws, like making it a crime to sell "loosies" or single cigarettes, then expect law enforcement to waste time and resources going after these petty crooks. That's what the Garner thing was all about, he was selling loosies. Do you agree, disagree, or have no opinion that cops have bigger issues to tackle than being tax enforcers for NYC? I think it's criminal that the taxes are over $5.00 a pack, more than the cigs cost.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/cop...tzRgDwbkh1G.97
    Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/cop...FBwlbSjDq0K.99
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Boston Tea Party, anyone? Throw the cigs into the Hudson.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

I'm betting the law was written to protect minors from resellers who don't card buyers. We all know that you need to get someone habitualized in their teens to create a life-long nicotine addict, and that's why the law says you gotta be 18 to buy tobacco products - so that you have to be a legal adult to make the decision to start or not on your own. Since the sale of "loosies" doesn't come from licensed sellers - they're from fabulous guys like Garner who want to skate the laws without giving a crap about the consequences - it's probably seen as a public health risk.

I agree that the taxes on tobacco products are very, very high, but that's because their public health costs are very, very high. Mouth, throat and lung cancers are ranked just below heart disease as America's top killers (way, way, way above firearm deaths), and what's worse is that their chronic costs in phase 3 care are simply astronomical. A primary reason why health care premiums are so high is because of the large number of baby boomers who enjoyed affluent diets and cheap tobacco are living long enough, thanks to modern medical science, to encounter the consequences of fat-and-sugar-rich diets and habitual smoking. High taxes are meant to charge a premium from people who do put their own and the public's health at risk, and to act as a deterrent to youngsters from more easily getting started, like buying loosies off the street.

Now, whether police enforcement should be a priority or not, that's another matter and is left to the discretion of local police forces. I say bust it when you see it, but don't hunt it down.

But do the tax revenues go to medical facilities, or the general fund?
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I guess it depends, but in Oklahoma:
    http://okpolicy.org/files/tobacco_2010.pdf
    "Typing the word "grandparents," I mistyped and the autocorrect changed it to CandyLand. Not entirely inaccurate." - Our daughter.

A Kahr, a Glock, a Ruger, two Brownings, two Remingtons, and a Crossman.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Taxes are collected both at the federal and state level, and in some cases also by cities or municipalities, so it varies. About 3/4 of the federal taxes go to a low-income family insurance program. In Ohio, $1.25 of a pack goes to state taxes (vs. $1 to federal taxes). In Massachusetts, it's $2.55. In both states, it all goes to a general fund before filtering out, so there's definitely room for criticism there - in my opinion it should go specifically towards public healthcare obligations.

Surprisingly, even though the price of cigarettes is much higher, the PORTION of that cost to taxes today are half what they were in 1965. That's probably either to make more profit or to guard against future civil liability or both.

Of course RJ Reynolds thinks all of this is so, so unfair. They feel singled out, made victims of bad public policy and overreaching government. You know, the company that repeatedly perjured themselves when internal memos were subpoened about what they knew about nicotine's addictive effects and how to start kids down a captive route to life-long consumership.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    I guess it depends, but in Oklahoma:
    http://okpolicy.org/files/tobacco_2010.pdf
    Well ****. That means I'll need to give Oklahoma more respect than my home state of Ohio for appropriate tax appropriation. Damn you DavidS.

I've heard many times being overweight is worse for you than tobacco. Where are the laws against it? Car accidents maim and kill more than either. Mostly head injuries. Where are the laws requiring helmets to drive or ride in a car? Tobacco will kill you. "Wacky Weed" is good for you according to Colorado and Washington State (with many more to follow). I do think we are being bs'd just a bit? Now they are worried about E-Cigarettes. They were seen at the beginning as harmless as they kept kids from smoking. Heard on the news where millions of teens are now hooked on nicotine because of them. If they try to regulate or outlaw them they are afraid they will switch to cigarettes. Wonderful world, right? How in the world can police officers enforce all the stupid laws our elected officials make. I don't envy them!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Well ****. That means I'll need to give Oklahoma more respect than my home state of Ohio for appropriate tax appropriation. Damn you DavidS.
    I wouldn't get carried away there. After all, this is the same state legislature that is trying to ban hoodies!
    http://kfor.com/2015/01/02/wearing-y...to-a-500-fine/
    "Typing the word "grandparents," I mistyped and the autocorrect changed it to CandyLand. Not entirely inaccurate." - Our daughter.

A Kahr, a Glock, a Ruger, two Brownings, two Remingtons, and a Crossman.

The law is the law and the police are mandated to enforce all of them. If you don't like the law then work to change the law. We have someone in the White House who only enforces the laws he agrees with. Don't condemn the police for doing their jobs. Breathe easy, obey the law!
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380