Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop

Thread: I'm shopping for a 1911. Any help?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It looks like the AO is only about $100 more. Seems worth it to have an American made pistol. Are the AO frames forged? I'm thinking that the Tisas, ATI, Rock Island, etc are cast.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeyNE View Post
    It looks like the AO is only about $100 more. Seems worth it to have an American made pistol. Are the AO frames forged? I'm thinking that the Tisas, ATI, Rock Island, etc are cast.
    I'm of the belief that the AO frame is cast.
    As long as the casting is done properly, a cast 1911 frame is not a deal breaker for me. I currently have a few 1911s (a 9mm Rock Island, a Remington R1S, and a custom build with an Essex frame) and I've not had any issues with the frame on any of them. The same can be said for other 1911s with cast frames (excluding an AMT Hardballer) that I've owned in the past. FWIW, the only other 1911 frame I've had a metallurgy issue with was a forged, full size Colt frame. That one developed a crack at the top of the slide stop window....solved that by cutting the top out of the window.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I'm of the belief that the AO frame is cast.
    As long as the casting is done properly, a cast 1911 frame is not a deal breaker for me. I currently have a few 1911s (a 9mm Rock Island, a Remington R1S, and a custom build with an Essex frame) and I've not had any issues with the frame on any of them. The same can be said for other 1911s with cast frames (excluding an AMT Hardballer) that I've owned in the past. FWIW, the only other 1911 frame I've had a metallurgy issue with was a forged, full size Colt frame. That one developed a crack at the top of the slide stop window....solved that by cutting the top out of the window.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll go ahead with my plan to get the AO.